I'm a Newbie!

  • Lee Masterson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2001
      Hi all,

      I only recently found this list, while I was searching every search
      engine and directory I could think of. So I figured I would join you
      all.

      So, Hi ALL!!

      I'm an Aussie too (down south in Adelaide), and the reason I was
      searching for any and all info on Julian May is because I edit and
      publish an online writer's magazine. (http://www.fictionfactor.com)

      We feature interviews with sci-fi and fantasy authors, and Ms. May
      definitely comes under that category. We also publish book reviews,
      usually running in conjunction with the current interview. Obviously,
      it would do our magazine wonders to have the likes of Ms. May gracing
      our pages.

      Do any of you have any idea how I might contact her in regards to
      being interviewed?

      Thanks in advance
      Lee Masterson
      --------------------------
      Fiction Factor
      http://www.fictionfactor.com
      The online magazine for writers
    • bob
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2001
        Greetings Lee,

        Welcome to our own little bolthole on the Net. I'm sure Leda will be writing
        an official warm Slonshal to you as soon as possible. But in the mean time,
        as you can see below, JM is somewhat 'down' on the whole Net thing, but as
        the prophet said: 'Nothing ventured, nothing gained.'

        So if you fancy gambling a letter here's the information you'll need.

        Regards

        Bob

        From: "Andrew MacDonald" <admacdo@h...>
        Date: Wed May 30, 2001 2:46 am

        Hi Guys.
        I'm not too sure that JM would get on board with an official web page. She
        thinks the web is a huge time waster. As you could guess, she doesn't have
        email either. I've been officially asked to promote her current address.
        Write to her at:
        Julian May
        Starykon Productions Inc
        PO Box 851
        Mercer Island, WA
        98040
        USA

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2001
          Here comes that Slonshal, Bob, to Lee and also to the
          other new members this week.
          July sure has been quiet, with your post first of the
          mark Lee! As for writing to JM I have not yet heard of
          anyone who has had anything but warm responses back
          from her after writing. I think also that it is within
          our power to show JM how much of an effect the
          internet has on some of lives in a positive way. I
          know for me at least without the internet I would
          still be the only person I know who reads sff, and the
          benefits I have gained by exposure to people who have
          experienced the same imaginary worlds as I have has
          been invaluable.
          Let us know how you go in your contact with JM, Lee.
          FYI JMs address and the addresses for her current
          publishers are available in the files sectin of the
          web page.
          Lee, please also let me know if you would like a link
          to your site added to our bookmarks page.

          I have been less than the effervescent host lately, I
          have moved house yet again and as such have been
          largely offline and wholly frantic. I am a little
          distressed to find that my new room is upstairs and
          the phone line is in the kitchen downstairs so I am
          not sure how I am going to work my online activities.
          I am sure once I get that sorted out everything else
          will flow on here.
          My reading time lately had also been very occupied
          with Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond chronicals, which I
          mentioned I had started on a few posts ago. I know
          there are a few people on this list (e.g. Avalon and
          Elena) who are hist fic fans; I highly recommend this
          series. I haven't wanted to touch anything else whilst
          I have been reading it and have had to take drastic
          measures such as forcing a few days break between each
          volume so as to catch up on sleep and chores!

          Further to the problem with my posts been cut off I
          have checked on a few other lists I am on and seem to
          have the same problem occasionally. Tis a mystery
          which I shall have to figure out, I have not yet asked
          Yahoo but will get onto it when I can. I apologise for
          any further irritating cut-offs which may occur
          between now and then.

          Now, as something which has been bothering me for some
          time, I'd like to see if I can start a new thread on
          the bodiless genes.
          I have just reread JB recently and was thinking a lot
          as I read through about what it actually was that
          caused Teresa's mutation (once again I fret over that
          mysterious lost book on Paul's youth and his and
          Teresa's early life together which we will never read
          - of course, this is covered in Lucille's
          autobiography and Phillip's Remillard biographies but
          somehow I dont think we will ever see those either!).
          All that we are actually told is that at some point in
          Teresa's life after Marie's birth she was exposed to a
          mutagenic factor which affected all of her children
          conceived after that point. We are told that Madeleine
          inherited these mutated genes but that they were not
          expressed; she was a carrier only. And that the genes
          caused massive physical defects in luc and the several
          miscarried or aborted foetuses which Teresa conceived
          before her reproductive license was revoked.
          I have three questions here:
          1) What was the mutagenic factor? It must have been
          rather strangely severe to have affected her DNA so
          deeply but yet to leave her own body unharmed. Yet no
          mention is made of anywhere that she went where she
          could have experienced such a mutagene. Only that
          carefully understated claim that it had happened. I
          can think of three possible explanations:
          a) it was something routine which didn't need to be
          explained
          b) the creation of a hydra in her womb at Vic's
          deathbed had a mutagenic effect on her yet not on the
          other pregnant women
          c) Unifex had deliberately but secretely exposed her
          to such a substance with his forewarning

          2) Why did Luc's deformities take such drastically
          different form from Jack's, if the same gene mutation
          had caused those deformities? He suffers from
          congenital illnesses which were curable in the tank,
          and from epilepsy. Jack was perfectly normal until
          cancers started destroying his body methodically,
          leaving only his brain, untouched, lucent and alone.
          Does this also mean that Luc and Madeleine did not
          inherit the Remillard genes for self-rejuvenating?

          3) Why would such a mutation be sex-linked? (my
          genetics isn't bad but not good enough to understand
          this). And, if Madeleine was a carrier for the
          mutation, did that mean all her children would be
          mutants, only her male children, or only her male
          children by a partner with recessive genes for the
          same properties? [little crappy punnett squares
          completely inadequate to the task flash before my
          eyes).

          Leda

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/