Things I know about JM

  • Andrew MacDonald
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5 5:15 AM
      Hello all.
      Sorry to not include a title with my previous post.  Julian is a bit paranoid about being connected to the internet, much as I tried to dissuade her it was ok. I believe she does a bit of surfing via her daughters computer. I don't think she'd be against having an official page, but I don't think she'd be pushing to make it happen. She did ask me to promote her correct address though..
      The hard thing about this all is I have to respect JM's privacy.  Firstly I'm Australian and live in Canberra. I read "The Many Coloured Land" about 15 or so years ago and have read it many times since. About 3 years ago, I decided to write and thank her. I've never done that sort of thing before. After discovering that some of our interests are the same, we've exchanged several letters. I've printed up a heap of web pages and discussion lists and sent them to her. Last year in Canada, she took me fishing on the Skoocumchuck river. Unfortunately I have no photos as she specifically asked me not to take any. She's a petite lady with dark hair, drives a big black Dodge Durango (which she's not afraid to drive fast) and loves the roast beef rolls with cheese sticks at one of the Fast food joints. Sorry, but I can't remember the name. It was K.C's or something like that that we don't have down here. She's not afraid to speak her mind on things and people.
      I asked most of the questions that you guys probably would ask. I can absolutely assure you that there will never be any more Milieu or Pliocene books. She said that her old "Wetware" wasn't up to the job. I actually bought the second of the Perseus Spur series about an hour before meeting her for dinner. She likes to use very light weight fly fishing gear and I'm damned annoyed that I didn't take the offer to try her Orvis 1 weight. All the fly fishing related stuff in any of her books is authentic and if you read it again, the whole tone of her novels changes briefly at that point. The bit with Marc and the Tarpon is a bit unlikely though. With a leader that thin, you'd have to be a Meta to keep it together. Also notice the discriptive passages about what people wear, but mainly the dresses. Julian was a great costume designer when she had time to do it. Cats, and a Main Coon Cat in particular also figure prominently in her life.
      We were actually supposed to stay with her in Seattle, but she'd just finished the last of the Perseus Spur series and was anxious to go off and play. I'd not been able to get in contact with her because of her phone screening disliking public phones so we ended up catching up with her in Canada. I've only just finished reading the whole series again and it's amazing how much of her is in the books if you know what to look for. If she decides to take up my offer, we may accomodate her for a fishing trip one day. I must say that I don't know if JM would give everyone as much time as she gave me and I think it may have been a rare thing so I feel very privelidged.  If you write to her, ask her how the Yakima is fishing :)
      Sorry if this posting tends to go everywhere, it's getting late.

    • Robert Powell
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5 6:19 AM
        Hi Andrew,

        Thanks for clearing up the mire a little. I will admit that your last
        post did kind of take the wind out my sails, and I suspect a few
        others on this group. I hope you're correct in the assumption that JM
        wouldn't be against an official page, though obviously it would be
        somewhat reduced in impact without any input from the lady herself.
        As I mentioned earlier, I wonder if her publishers might more readily
        bestow the 'official' tag? I suspect this to be the case, what
        publisher wouldn't want to reach an instantly interested consumer
        group with a single posting?

        On a side note; I, as everybody here, envy your time with JM and I
        believe I've read your account some where else on the web. Personally
        I can't help thinking that I'd have less in common than yourself with
        JM though and suspect that any time I spent with her would be far
        less rewarding than that you've experienced. Like most people I
        identify with her characters - in her own words they are such
        archetypes - but this does reduce my admiration for a master
        storyteller, whose 'wetware' seems to be perfectly in order if the
        last of the Rampart Worlds books is any indication.

        Thank you for sharing your thoughts experiences and of course correct
        contact information with this group.

        Rob
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 14 2:14 AM
          --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., "Andrew MacDonald" <admacdo@h...>
          wrote:
          >Hello all. Sorry to not include a title with my previous post.
          >Julian is a bit paranoid about being connected to the internet, much
          >as I tried to dissuade her it was ok. I believe she does a bit of
          >surfing via her daughters computer. I don't think she'd be against
          >having an official page, but I don't think she'd be pushing to make
          >it happen.

          Thanks for sharing this story with us Andrew. I think there are a few
          people on the list who have had some kind of personal contact with JM.
          It sounds like you really have had an opportunity to get to know her.
          Do you still write to her?

          > Firstly I'm Australian and live in Canberra.

          Welcome to the group, I think a lot of us are Aussies or Kiwis. I
          haven't made any special effort to recruit in this area but that's
          just how it has happened. Interestingly enough neither of these
          countries gets much of a mention in her novels. Indeed the action is
          almost exclusively limited to the northern hemisphere. The only actual
          mentions of Aus/NZ I can recall are a) during the live TV EE testing
          done by Jamie MacGregor and Alana Shaunavon, Alana was located in NZ
          b) the Australian aboriginal metapsychic locus was supposedly one of
          the strongest in the past but by Intervention nearly extinct c)
          apparently most of the ten planets colonised by humans during the
          Proctorship were Euro, American or Anzac (!)

          > She likes to use very light weight fly fishing gear....if she
          >decides to take up my offer, we may accomodate her for a fishing trip
          >one day.

          Where would you take her fishing, out of curiosity? I must confess I
          know very little about fly fishing and I read the relevent passages in
          her books with as much interest as I did every part but very little
          inside knowledge. It did evoke nostaglia though, my grandfather being
          a keen afficiodo of the sport; many of my very earliest memories are
          of fishing with him and watching him make flys (or is it flies). I was
          curious where you would take him fishing because I grew up in the
          Snowy Mountains and that is where my grandfather used to fish (for
          trout). That is of course quite close to Canberra.

          >Sorry if this posting tends to go everywhere, it's getting late.

          Never fear