Re: [Julian-May-discuss] re: official website

  • Niall Perry
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2001
      I'd agree with Bob, a central place for Fans to go for
      info etc. wouldn't really annoy anyone (would it?).
      It could even open up JM to many more people (and
      that's a bad thing, hmmm, personally I don't think
      so).

      To Andrew,

      If you have some official capacity in this, as your
      email intimates, is there anymore information you can
      give us, on this, or any other JM related topics.

      cheers

      Niall

      --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., "Andrew MacDonald"

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 14, 2001
        Hey Anthony,

        Thanks for the info below.
        I have started an address book in the 'Database' section of the list
        site for contact details of people and companies of interest to us. I
        have put Jm's details in there!

        Leda

        --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., "Andrew MacDonald" <admacdo@h...>
        wrote:
        Hi Guys.
        I'm not too sure that JM would get on board with an official web page.
        She thinks the web is a huge time waster.  As you could guess, she
        doesn't have email either. I've been officially asked to promote her
        current address. Write to her at:
        Julian May
        Starykon Productions Inc
        PO Box 851
        Mercer Island, WA
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 14, 2001
          --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., "Robert Powell" <pallol@b...> wrote:
          > As someone who's job is based on the net, I can only say OUCH!

          yeah, I sympathise with ye there...

          > I wonder though if JM's publishers feel the same way? I'm pretty
          > certain any marketing department wouldn't mind a central place on
          the web to put announcements, release dates etc. but would that step
          on JM's toes?

          Okay, I too would hate to offend JM in any manner. But I also feel
          that approaching her publishers shouldn't offend her too greatly and
          may be a more successful tack towards obtaining support for an
          official website.

          I have drafted a quick letter below to send off to Voyager and Ace (if
          I ever find out how to contact them). I'd appreciate feedback as I
          have never done anything like this before and am unsure of the tone
          and manner to take in making such a request. Also unsure if it would
          be more likely to be a succesful request if the letter was accompanied
          by a description of the projected site or even mockups of a few pages.
          The only problem is of course that if we affiliate ourselves with a
          particular publisher then we may lose that support if JM switches
          again. I am also working on a personal letter to Jm but that may take
          a little while longer to get together.
          Anyway, here is the draft below, let me know what you all think:

          Dear Sir/Madam,

          I am writing to you regarding your client Ms Julian May. Ms May, as a
          well respected author in the science-fiction writing world, has
          attracted a large, dedicated fan base around the world.
          I represent the interests of one such unofficial group based on the
          internet. Over the past few years the presence of Julian May fans on
          the internet has intensified and there are currently a number of
          websites and online lists dedicated to her work. However, since Ms May
          herself does not have a presence on the internet there is a definite
          lack of information available on her and her work.
          I would like to discuss with you the possibility of obtaining advance
          information about upcoming work by Ms May, release dates, reprint
          dates and appearance dates for Ms May herself. I would endeavour to
          make this information easily accessible to her fans and potential
          fans.
          At some point in the future if our communication developed in that
          direction I would also like to discuss with yourself and/or Ms May the
          possibility of obtaining sanction to develop an official website for
          Ms May's published works. I believe that such a site would be an
          invaluable method of communication and meeting point for all people
          who have experienced enjoyment from reading Ms May's works.
          I look forward to hearing from you,
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 14, 2001
            --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., "Leticia Anderson" <leda_au@y...>
            wrote:
            > Hey Anthony,

            Andrew!!!! Sorry about that. That's what you get for splitting your
            concentration (I'm at work hassling a guy called Anthony!!).

            Sorry, sorry sorry....

            Le