Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Digest Number 10

  • robert brown
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2000
      I used to know a pretty good May fan site...but I forgot the URL. Type
      Pliocene Exile, or Julian May in a search engine and you might get some good
      results back. Try infind.com it's the best search engine I've found.

      So are they selling Perseus Spear and Orion's arm in the states now? I was
      looking for new may books 2 years ago and the only place to get those books
      was amazon.co.uk, amazon.com didn't have them just the uk site. I heard
      they weren't as good as the Mileu stuff.

      So what is your favorite May book in the series? I like Jack the Bodiless
      the best, allthough Diamond Mask and The Golden Torc are really great too.
      My favorite character is Aiken, cause he's such a smartass. If you could
      have one Metafunction what would it be and why?

      Rob

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 11, 2000
        Hi Rob,

        >So are they selling Perseus Spear and Orion's arm in the states now? I was
        >looking for new may books 2 years ago and the only place to get those books
        >was amazon.co.uk, amazon.com didn't have them just the uk site. I heard
        >they weren't as good as the Mileu stuff.

        Yes, they are available in the States, because when I ordered the O.A.
        paperback from my local sci-fi book ordering service they got the US version
        for me. They aren't as good as the Milieu books but they're still
        entertaining. One thing I have to say about Julian's books is that when the
        cover art is done by Stephen Bradbury (who rocks!) they always stand out on
        the shelf. If I could have a framed print of his Magnificat cover I would be
        very happy!

        >So what is your favorite May book in the series? I like Jack the Bodiless
        >the best, allthough Diamond Mask and The Golden Torc are really great too.
        >My favorite character is Aiken, cause he's such a smartass. If you could
        >have one Metafunction what would it be and why?

        Jack the Bodiless is my favourite too - it's dramatic, funny and poignant in
        places (although you could say that about most of her books). Intervention
        is my second favourite. Useless triva #4789 - when I first went looking for
        a copy of Jack the Bodiless I found it in a place called Unity Bookstore -
        just down the road from the Paramount Bar.

        I like Aiken too - he reminds me of the character Miles Vorkosigan from Lois
        McMaster Bujold's 'Barrayar' series; both of them have this manic,
        hyperactive energy you don't see in most characters. Yes, Miles is a
        smartass too.

        If I could have one Metafunction (hey, why stop at one? huh? :-) ) it would
        be psychokinesis (and I would get those household chores done in half of the
        time!). It's interesting that in the Milieu books it's considered impolite
        for those with PK to show it off in public..

        What Metafunction would you (and everyone else) have?

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2000
          > What Metafunction would you (and everyone else)
          > have?
          >
          > - Nicolette :-)

          I'd be paramount in all five metafaculties, of course!
          leticia

          Yahoo! Mail � Free email you can access from anywhere!
          http://mail.yahoo.com/
        • Ian J Greely
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 13, 2000
            Depends entirely upon the presence of other Metas.

            regards,
            Ian

          • douchkov@tpg.com.au
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2000
              Hi Rob,

              I'm new to the group too ... (which is why I'm replying to an August
              post in November) ...

              I wasn't completely enthralled by Persues Spur (or the Trilium
              series), however I've read and re-read Exiles and Milieu numerous
              times, and gained more with each revisit.

              If I could have just one metafaculty ... I'm a counsellor and trainee
              psychologist, and it would be (naturally) redaction. I was
              fascinated by this concept the first time I read the books, and it's
              been rambling around in my mind ever since. The more I learn about
              the function of human brains, the more I think it will one day be
              possible (just wish it would be in my lifetime ...)

              Looking forward to many discussions,

              Kathryn

              --- In Julian-May-discuss@egroups.com, "robert brown"