Tor Books Reissue - And eBook Versions!

  • ambushpredator2012
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 20, 2012
      The redesigned covers can be seen at the Tor Books blog here:

      http://torbooks.co.uk/2012/09/05/julian-may-artwork-launch-bringing-these-classics-back-to-life/

      And on Twitter, I was advised that eBook versions would also be available when the reissue comes out next year.
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 20, 2012

        Thanks for that, I'm glad the new art for the re-issues of the Exiles books has been released. :)

        I like the backgrounds, but I have to say I'm not really a fan right now of the fiery font used for JM's name... it seems a bit too overwhelming to me. But that's just my two cents.

        High Thoughts,

        - Mod Mom #2

        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "ambushpredator2012" <julia.c.manton@...> wrote:

        > The redesigned covers can be seen at the Tor Books blog here:
        >
        > http://torbooks.co.uk/2012/09/05/julian-may-artwork-launch-bringing-these-classics-back-to-life/
        >
        > And on Twitter, I was advised that eBook versions would also be available when the reissue comes out next year.

      • Anthony Amenta
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 21, 2012
          It is wonderful to see these incredible books getting re-released...

          But I also find myself agreeing with Mod Mom. I suspect "where we fall" on the Cover Treatments has much to do with our "first exposure": For me, it will "always be" the Michael Whelan American softcovers of the 1980's. I thought they brilliantly captured the moods of the first four books.

          Years later during a short stint in "Antiquarian" books, I found the American hardcovers. Completely forgettable in my mind, with the exception of the facial portrait of "smirking Mark" for The Adversary. Other than that, I am embarrassed to say that I don't know if May's works would have "leapt off the shelf" and into my hands all those years ago if it hadn't been for Whelan.

          I think it was quite a bit later still when I saw (via Internet) the original English cover artwork.

          ... :-] ...   ...I'm sure if those covers were your first visceral connection with May's works, then those are "the" covers, and so the "carryover" of the iconic element from each "original" cover works for you...

          But I too feel the Typeface chosen for May's name seems a little heavy-handed. The overall "feel" of the covers seem rather "dark" to me, and though there was certainly a strong fantastical element to the Exiles series, it never "felt" that dark & foreboding to me.

          But I guess that's also one of the true miracles of May's works: how well she was able to place such memorable individual characters in such a wonderful tableau--that expertly "spanned" Science-Fiction and Fantasy, all in one wonderful high-fantasy, space-opera romp.

          I noted that one commentator on the Tor website closed with: "Sweet Houghmagandy!" I couldn't possibly think of a better way to say it. Other wonderful works have come in and out of my life, both before and after May's works, but I know that if I were "forced" to take only 10 books to a small island for the rest of my days, they would be the Decology of Julian May.

          Slonshal!  -Anthony

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 22, 2012
            I was a bit surprised the author name got such prominence over the title, but I guess that's the modern design for you!

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 22, 2012
              Yes, I think they are long overdue for a re-read too.

              And now I've finished re-reading the whole of Stephen King's 'Dark Tower' series, what better way to pass the long autumn nights until Christmas?

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 22, 2012
                The Stephen Bradbury covers were my first exposure to the series that drew me in straight away and are on my bookshelf. :)

                Having said that, I was recently at a book fair and saw an omnibus version of 'Non Born King' and 'Adversary' that featured the scene where Marc appeared to Aiken and said he could borrow the other CE rig to use against the Firvulag. I immediately said, 'mine!'. :) The artist was Stephen Fabian.

                I've seen the 'Smirking Marc' cover and find it both creepy and fascinating, which might have been the aim!

                The new cover for 'Intervention' has been released:

                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intervention-Julian-May/dp/0230767672/ref=sr_1_47?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348370589&sr=1-47

                I actually like this cover better than the Stephen Bradbury version and the fiery font isn't so annoying this time. There definitely seems to be an overall 'dark' theme to the covers so far, yes.

                I have to say that when I first read the Exiles books, they did have a dark and foreboding feel to me as they went on - every time a danger was dealt with, something nastier appeared on the horizon! I was on the edge of my seat for most of 'Adversary'.

                High Thoughts,

                - Mod Mom #2

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 22, 2012
                  I think the only one of the US covers I've seen was the cover to 'The Nonborn King', with a far too horse-like chaliko.

                  I'll have to have a root around the US Amazon site and see if I can see the others. Or find the Michael Whelan art book I have elsewhere..