Further Casting Notions

  • michelle_rose3
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31 10:30 AM
      High Thoughts All!

      Sorry I've been absent for so long, but open-heart surgery has a tendency to occupy all your spare time. Fear not! Although our medical science is not yet up to Milieu standards, they did a wonderful job, even if the scar will preclude any low-cut gowns or dresses for a while. (Where's a regen-tank when you REALLY need one?)

      A few more casting ideas: we need a big Native American to play Peo-peo Moxmox Burke. The only one I can think of that comes close to his physical proportions would be Wes Studi, who was in "Last of the Mohicans" and "Geronimo". Brilliant, intense, but unfortunately; a bit on the short side. He certainly has the muscles, though. Any ideas, folks?

      Mercy: I have always had a certain fondness for Julia Roberts. (Please don't snicker derisively. It's not polite.) Those of you who might have seen her in "Mystic Pizza" or even "Erin Brockovich" might agree that she certainly has the necessary intensity, given the right director to release that. She's certainly tall enough and her hair has often been just the right shade of red. She can play borderline crazy as if she owns it. Discuss?

      But really: Andy Dick as Aiken? Uh, not to put too fine a point on it (as Parthol Swiftfoot might say) but Andy Dick is a...dick. And not a particularly good actor, either. Back when the Pliocene Exile was first published, I thought that Michael J. Fox was the ONLY one who could play Aiken with the necessary ferocity, puckishness and ruthlessness. Physically, he's about right, too: small and quick, gracefully agile and he could convey the impression of incredible strength. Alas, poor Michael suffers terribly from Parkinson's these days and I can find no one who I believe could play that role.

      You youngsters who watch a lot of Brit TV have been suggesting some of England's fine young actors for various roles and I think that's just dandy, but I wonder at the necessary maturity for some of these roles. Just because an actor/actress is attractive doesn't necessarily make them perfect for a given role. IMHO.

      One more suggestion: Old Man Kawai. Google the actor Mako and see if you agree that he'd be the perfect choice.

      That's it for now. May the All in All be with you always!
    • S
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 21, 2011
        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "michelle_rose3" <michelle_rose3@...> wrote:

        > High Thoughts All!
        >
        > Sorry I've been absent for so long, but open-heart surgery has a tendency to occupy all your spare time. Fear not! Although our medical science is not yet up to Milieu standards, they did a wonderful job, even if the scar will preclude any low-cut gowns or dresses for a while. (Where's a regen-tank when you REALLY need one?)

        I hope you're doing okay! Take care of yourself. :)

        > One more suggestion: Old Man Kawai. Google the actor Mako and see if you agree that he'd be the perfect choice.

        Except that Mako died about 5 years ago, if he's the same one we're talking about. (Found out about him via Avatar: the Last Airbender.) Cancer, I think it was.

        *goes back to lurking*
      • michelle_rose3
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 22, 2011
          --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "S" <walker_boh61@...> wrote:

          > --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "michelle_rose3" <michelle_rose3@> wrote:
          > >
          > > High Thoughts All!
          > >
          > > Sorry I've been absent for so long, but open-heart surgery has a tendency to occupy all your spare time. Fear not! Although our medical science is not yet up to Milieu standards, they did a wonderful job, even if the scar will preclude any low-cut gowns or dresses for a while. (Where's a regen-tank when you REALLY need one?)
          >
          > I hope you're doing okay! Take care of yourself. :)
          >
          > > One more suggestion: Old Man Kawai. Google the actor Mako and see if you agree that he'd be the perfect choice.
          >
          > Except that Mako died about 5 years ago, if he's the same one we're talking about. (Found out about him via Avatar: the Last Airbender.) Cancer, I think it was.
          >
          > *goes back to lurking*

          Oops. Didn't do a Google, meself. Next time I'll know better. Okay, then. Pat Morita is passed on, too, so where does that leaves us? Hmm, I'm thinking Chow-Yun Fat for Yoshi. He definitely has the bushido spirit.

          As for me...pain is my constant companion, but that's life for most of us, isn't it?

        • S
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 27, 2011
            --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "michelle_rose3" <michelle_rose3@...> wrote:

            > Oops. Didn't do a Google, meself. Next time I'll know better. Okay, then. Pat Morita is passed on, too, so where does that leaves us? Hmm, I'm thinking Chow-Yun Fat for Yoshi. He definitely has the bushido spirit.

            IIRC there was also a big hullabaloo in the A:tLB fandom when Mako was diagnosed and then died, since he did such a good job as Uncle Iroh.

            Chow-Yun Fat could work. Haven't seen him in a lot, but he did a good job in the movies I did see.

            > As for me...pain is my constant companion, but that's life for most of us, isn't it?

            True. Hopefully the surgery helped ease yours... something like that. The words aren't coming out right, at the moment. o.o
          • awabookz
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 27, 2011
              --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "S" <walker_boh61@...> wrote:

              > Chow-Yun Fat could work. Haven't seen him in a lot, but he did a good job in the movies I did see.

              I'm definitely a "fan of the Fat"  ;), but I always pictured Old Man Kawai as a little bit more of a "wheedler"...

              I've always thought of James Hong ... particularly his voice, when I think of Kawai.