Interesting

  • michelle_rose3
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2011
      High Thoughts, All:

      Cool! I love Christina Ricci, too, but I've always wondered how she would do in the role of Sukey, Stein Oleson's love interest. At the time 'Benny and Joon" came out, Ms. Masterson was indeed young enough to play Felice. I'd also seen her in "At Close Range" and "Fried Green Tomatoes" and realized how child-like, yet crazy-intense, she could be.

      I think my intention was to point out how certain actors could portray the characters in The Pliocene Exile series at or around the time it was released, not necessarily what they look like today. This might require a little more imagination and recollection (or a comparative check of the movies at that time on IMDB), and admittedly does limit the pool somewhat. For example, I've never seen Mr. Hoult, Aneece, but I feel sure he was but a gleam in his Papa's eye when The Pliocene Exile was released. For myself, I longed to see Frank Langella as Marc, having seen him in Dracula just a year earlier. Yes, he would be completely inappropriate NOW, given that he's bald and portly. But then, he would have been magnificent. Dark, curly hair, tall and muscular, brooding, intense, with just the right air of menace and charisma.

      Here's another for y'all to chew on: AT THE TIME of the release of The Pliocene Exile, who could play the role of Basil Wimbourne, the mountain-climbing English don? Why, who else but Sir Alec Guinness! C'mon, Obi-Wan Kenobi? Yes! Just the right air of calm competence and oh-so-terribly British. Can't you just imagine him addressing the climbing party at the foot of Monte Rosa with that perfect professorial air? (I recall that May used the term 'magisterial'.) Now think about all the scenes that Basil appeared in and imagine Guinness playing them and you'll see what I mean. Dead-on perfect!

      Okay, now it's your turn, friends. Slonshal and Slitsal!

      Michelle
    • John Wolfe
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2011
        On 5/4/2011 1:19 PM, michelle_rose3 wrote:
        > High Thoughts, All:
        >
        > Cool! I love Christina Ricci, too, but I've always wondered how she would do in the role of Sukey, Stein Oleson's love interest. At the time 'Benny and Joon" came out, Ms. Masterson was indeed young enough to play Felice. I'd also seen her in "At Close Range" and "Fried Green Tomatoes" and realized how child-like, yet crazy-intense, she could be.
        >
        > I think my intention was to point out how certain actors could portray the characters in The Pliocene Exile series at or around the time it was released, not necessarily what they look like today. This might require a little more imagination and recollection (or a comparative check of the movies at that time on IMDB), and admittedly does limit the pool somewhat. For example, I've never seen Mr. Hoult, Aneece, but I feel sure he was but a gleam in his Papa's eye when The Pliocene Exile was released. For myself, I longed to see Frank Langella as Marc, having seen him in Dracula just a year earlier. Yes, he would be completely inappropriate NOW, given that he's bald and portly. But then, he would have been magnificent. Dark, curly hair, tall and muscular, brooding, intense, with just the right air of menace and charisma.
        >
        > Here's another for y'all to chew on: AT THE TIME of the release of The Pliocene Exile, who could play the role of Basil Wimbourne, the mountain-climbing English don? Why, who else but Sir Alec Guinness! C'mon, Obi-Wan Kenobi? Yes! Just the right air of calm competence and oh-so-terribly British. Can't you just imagine him addressing the climbing party at the foot of Monte Rosa with that perfect professorial air? (I recall that May used the term 'magisterial'.) Now think about all the scenes that Basil appeared in and imagine Guinness playing them and you'll see what I mean. Dead-on perfect!
        >
        > Okay, now it's your turn, friends. Slonshal and Slitsal!
        >
        > Michelle

        Okay, group, I have a few suggestions for some of the roles in our
        miniseries. How about Andy Dick for the role of Aiken? He would
        certainly have the "golliwog youth trickster" part of it. I have my
        doubts about the latter parts when Aiken has to be serious, though. How
        about Nicole Kidman for Queen Nonnie? Really there are so many
        characters in the books that almost anyone in Hollywood could have at
        least a cameo. The Rock as Alberonn, Hulk Hogan for Stein, and maybe
        Wilford Brimley as Claude.

        Keep it up! This is great stuff!
      • aneecek
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2011
          OK OK I GET IT. IT Is sort of cool to imagine past actors from 1981 era when she wrote Many Colored Land. I think it would be more fun to cast actors from today, Why not? But I suppose we could do past and present castings. Maybe some rabid JM fans are not as much of an all around entertainment junkie as I am , but I love movies and TV too! (of course books are #!).

          With the debut of Game of Thrones on HBO we can see that it can be done. They are doing a good job with the epic George r.r. Martin books. They are even doing the Dark Tower movie series with Javier Bardam as Roland. And if you can believe it they are doing Dune and the Stand again for 2014. I think Sci-Fi network should do they Pliocene Miniseries. Its too bad these books dont have the clout of Stephen King or Dune. Because they are the best. Believe me I love classic and modern sci-fi and fantasy but nothing can top JM.

          Felice is hard for me. I see a tiny killer conflicted girl with clouds of frizzy blonde hair. I agree Mary Sue M. back in the day but what about now.? The tiny frizzy hair blonde in Game of Thrones comes close but seems a little weak. Her name is Emilia Clarke and she is British and plays the Daenerys Targaryen character.

          I can sorta see Stuart Townsend as Aiken. Anyone remember him as Lestat? He has the twinkle in his eye that Aiken always has, plus he is Irish with those necessary Celtic genes.

          Past cast :

          Bill Fagerbakke as Stein. I think he would qualify. He was Tom Cullen in the Stand and was born in 1957. He is big and blond. He usually plays dummer characters (Patrick the starfish) but I'm sure he could do angry tormented Stein.

          Anyway just some thoughts.

          Aneece