Re: Interesting...

  • aneecek
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2011
      I agree. The Saga of Pliocene Exile is the greatest series of books ever. I too have been re-reading the entire series every year or so. They are old friends, designed to make any day brighter. I buy the out of print copies most every time I see them since I wear them out so fast. I would put them at #1 and Dune series at 2.
      My choice for Marc wold be Nicholas Hoult. He is a young British actor about 21/22 slowly gaining prominence. He is a really good actor but what makes him ideal for Marc is his eyebrows. I had never seen winged eyebrows before, only read about them in the JM book about Marc. But look at this guy. His trademark is his eyebrows. Plus he is an awesome actor. He was the little boy in "about a boy". Google him and see what you think.

      Aneece

      --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "michelle_rose3" <michelle_rose3@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > To wit: the notion of a direct-to-DVD movie or even, perhaps, a mini-series on the SciFi Channel.
      >
      > To dispense with the caveats immediately: y'all do realize that such an undertaking would require an investment of close to 75 million dollars in today's economy, even with CGI? Good, because such an undertaking would also require the services of a production staff that must necessarily pitch this project tirelessly for well over a year, possibly two or three. Consider also that JM has probably ALREADY been approached by Hollyweird on numerous occasions about translating this into a movie or mini-series. A pity Our Lady does not communicate with the outside world much due to her advanced years, but a comment or two from her would be most instructive.
      >
      > Having said that, there is absolutely no harm in speculating, brainstorming, fantasizing and playing Hollywood producer with these marvelous and absolutely incomparable books. I've been doing this since 1988 when I first stumbled across a copy of "The Many-Colored Land" at a sci-fi bookstore here in Puddletown. It's irresistible, isn't it? It makes "Dune", "LOTR" and any other SF epic look rather unfinished by comparison.
      >
      > So I propose a game, my friends. (Or contest, if you prefer, but no prizes to be awarded save that of emotional satisfaction) Once a week, let us select a character from The Pliocene Exile series (we'll tackle the Galactic Milieu series later. THIS should occupy us for quite a while) and then play casting director with that character; i.e., who would YOU cast in the role? I propose the following limits: no actor or actress who passed away before the year that "The Many-Colored Land" was released can be suggested (example: Laurence Olivier as Bryan Grenfell) and no actor or actress UNDER the age of 25 years old today. (The point being that, although there are many talented young actors and actresses working in the entertainment industry today, their visibility and familiarity with many of us may be somewhat limited.) Further limiting the pool: any actor or actress suggested must have a minimum of TWO movies or TWO TV appearances to his or her credit, thereby ensuring their familiarity to us all. We may go to whatever lengths we see fit in justifying/explaining our choices and therein lies the fun of the game: how we interpret May's characters and how any given actor or actress could be expected to interpret that character.
      >
      > What say you, my friends? Does this sound like a fun game? I hereby propose the first character to be cast:
      >
      > FELICE LANDRY. My choice: Mary Stuart Masterson. Physically, she's perfect: slight of stature, blond, rather pretty in a gamine sort of fashion, intense and quite capable of portraying madness. ("Benny and Joon")

    • awabookz
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2011
        A great idea :D <--- dontcha just luv these eee-mote-i-cons?

        I understand the "constraint" of the "young" Felice, but I also feel that in this case, I might well be willing to sacrifice some youth for an actress who could capture the (hell)fire of Felice...

        Now this may sound like a bit of a long-shot, but bear with me a minute:

        The "right" actress would not only have to capture the "fiery arrival" Felice, but the "pitiful, mad, raven/destroyer" Felice.

        Also cast aside any preconceived notions you have of actresses' "hair," as this I think is one of the easiest elements to modify.

        My choice for the actress with not only the "non"-human beauty, but the fiery acting chops -- and the eyes to pull your very soul from your body is...

        Christina Ricci

        I really can't think of an actress on the planet who has the "eyes" of Felice like Ms. Ricci...

        And watch a couple of minutes of her in "Black Snake Moan" to see how "mad n' bad" Felice could be ;-)

        Ah, yes... I would give a little of my soul to see Ricci as Felice.

        Who's got an Aiken Drum?

        Cheers!

        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2011
          Ohhh, how embarassin!

          Not only has this been "done" before, but it's been done before on this very site(!)

          ...*sniff*... I... even voted for Ms. Ricci in the past poll :-(

          I tell ya, folks, your mid-forties are not always a brain-friendly period...

          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2011

            Not to worry. :) It just goes to show that thinking what actor / actress could play what character is a popular one.

            I think Christina Ricci would be a good choice for Felice - she could certainly portray her with the 'eyes like black holes' look at times.

            When I think of Aiken Drum, I always think of Seth Green, who played the son of Dr Evil in those Austin Powers movies (even though he's probably a bit too old to play Aiken now). He was also Oz in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

            High Thoughts

            - Mod Mom #2