Full-10 re-Read...

  • awabookz
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2011
      Just finished a full re-read of the whole f&wk!n decology:

      * Though I am no hoite-de-toite, and my opine is only worth the digital dross it's written on, I have not found, and I'm sad to think I may never find, a Sci-Fi/Fantasy series that is so damn good, I seem to enjoy re-reading it every three years or so, since... 1986? Wow...

      * I'm always amazed at how I'm pulled back in and thrilled, and how new bits and details will resonate each time.

      * I found Magnificat to be particularly good this go-around, and I have to admit I think it was only my second time reading it. The first time I recall being rather disappointed with it, but maybe I wasn't mature enough, or just plain bummed at the series ending.

      * The characters are grand, and the only one I find myself (guiltily!) occasionally fast-forwarding through is... Elisabeth :-( I hate to admit it, but she feels just a little too damn sorry for herself--though I did enjoy her re-birth with Marc.

      * I "liked" Marc before, but I really enjoyed the Marc/Rogi/Jack triumvirate this time around.

      * Like so many others here, I would love to see May's grand vision move on... I would love to see a high-end, HBO-quality, live-action mini-series. Does anyone know if any of this work has ever been pitched? Does anyone other than Madame May own any "video" options or rights?

      * As a little bit of a "gamer-geek," I'd personally love to see a good role-playing game adaptation (pen & paper; not the video variety). But it's always transferring all the "world-knowledge" to others that's so challenging.

      * Does anyone else buy mail-order copies of Many Colored Land, and just have it mailed directly to friends? I've done this twice recently, but I need to do more of it. This series is just too f&wk!n good to fade into obscurity, dammit!

      Thanks to all of you who have made a good group site. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks this series is one of the most insanely great sci-fi/fantasy series ever written!

      Slonshall!
      Anthony
      AWAbooks
    • noeticconcordance
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2011
        I couldn't agree with you more Anthony. I've re-read series at least once a year since I first picked up "Many Coloured Land" at a second hand book store in the late '80's. I remember waiting years for Jack the Bodiless-I've never anticipated a book more happily.

        I always assumed that this series would attain the stature of Dune, Foundation and Lord of the Rings and I really don't understand why it hasn't (apart from LOTR I think its possibly better than any of them).

        In terms of depth of vision, depth of TIME, writing style and research-its peerless.

        A well-made mini-series would be brilliant! lets keep hoping