Re: Mercy

  • maakull
    Message 1 of 49 , Apr 3, 2011
      Ahhh the haunting & beautiful Mercy!!! I have to say, I always was drawn to Mercy... maybe as one kindred spirit to another??? But yes, very dissappointed that though she was fulfilled with the Tanu and was rapidly growing into her own, she so easily lost those best of attributes that would have kept her humanity. She so easily used Bryan knowing that he would die but then was aghast when Aiken killed Sullivan-Tonn. I think maybe she was somewhat of a realist. She was in the Tanu culture, loved most aspects of it and accepted that they ruled and without them, she would be nothing. So working with within those boundaries, she was who she was. She knew Bryan was going to die and gave of herself to him to give him what happiness she could. She was somewhat in love with Aiken though her heart totally belonged to Nodonn, but again recognized the inevitable course of that decision and embraced it. Though I am still in doubt whether she would have surived her marriage to Nodonn any better. I love Aiken but was so sad that he felt it necessary to kill Mercy because: one, she gave so much of herself to him; two that her creative gifts were without equal (with the exception of maybe Aiken & Marc) and what a loss that would be and three, was hoping that they would have had a child together!!! That last is just me wishing! But still was somewhat shocked that he killed her when he could have just imprisoned her until Nodonn was dead. She would have been his forever. She was selfish but at the same time giving and cared for the people... but yes, was ruthless & maninpulative when she needed to accomplish her goals. But really, who doesn't have their faults??? :o)
    • Frank Chase
      Message 49 of 49 , Apr 3, 2011
        Hmmmm... Aloof... manipulative... ruthless.  Agreed- but remember, when crazy Greggy did her genetic assay he discovered more tanu genes than human. No matter how much pot, mushrooms sex and ancient pagentry she partook in, she didn't fit in with Milieu culture. She took to the Tanu like a fish to water- she wasn't quite human. Maybe Aiken (Amadan ne briona) was doing her a kindness. However, because of the subsumption, a part of Mercy was melded into Aik's psyche to continue for who knows how long. It had to have been a very strong personality- Aiken had difficulty integrating hers as much as Nodonn's. Only Elisabeth's redaction powers was able to render him sane.

        Nice to see a post on this list that isn't a spam-bot :)

        I never really liked Mercy. She was too aloof. I really liked how you
        explained her though. It's been such a long time since I last read the
        Pliocene. Makes me want to re-read. Again.

        Tauni