Jungian personality types in the Saga of the Exiles

  • Astrofiammante
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2009
      Hello -

      I've been reading a book on Jungian psychology, bearing in mind that Julian May reportedly allowed this discipline to inform her character creation in The Saga of the Exiles.

      I found it fascinating to discover that the eight members of Group Green correspond very closely to the eight psychological types Jung described - introverts and extraverts, each with a primary function of thinking, feeling, intuition and sensation.

      I discussed this with the long-time May fan who encouraged me to first read the Saga of the Exiles - and he immediately spotted that the thinkers and feelers are all sent south to Muriah while the intuitive and sensate people were packed off to Finiah.

      I'm working on collecting my thoughts properly in a blog post, and will post a link here if the community would find it interesting.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1 7:19 PM

        I would certainly find your blog post interesting, so please do provide a link when it is finished. ^_^

        In the Links section there are two light-hearted articles on archetypes (if you haven't already seen them)... 'Eight Hero Archetypes' and 'Eight Female Archetypes'.

        For example, Felice would probably fit the description of the 'Survivor'. :-p

        High Thoughts,

        Mod Mom #2

        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Astrofiammante" <queen.astrofiammante@...> wrote:

        > Hello -
        >
        > I've been reading a book on Jungian psychology, bearing in mind that Julian May reportedly allowed this discipline to inform her character creation in The Saga of the Exiles.
        >
        > I found it fascinating to discover that the eight members of Group Green correspond very closely to the eight psychological types Jung described - introverts and extraverts, each with a primary function of thinking, feeling, intuition and sensation.
        >
        > I discussed this with the long-time May fan who encouraged me to first read the Saga of the Exiles - and he immediately spotted that the thinkers and feelers are all sent south to Muriah while the intuitive and sensate people were packed off to Finiah.
        >
        > I'm working on collecting my thoughts properly in a blog post, and will post a link here if the community would find it interesting.

      • Helen Murray
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2 10:14 AM
          Yes. I am interested. I am almost a life long "saga" fan (my Granny introduced me and I am ow 38!) The more insights the better! Thanks.

          Helen.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 20 3:57 AM
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 24 8:08 PM

              That was a great article to read, thank you. I'm thinking of putting the URL of it in the 'Links' section, for others to read, if that's OK with you. ^_^

              When I did the personality types test, I came up with INFJ, which according to your article, makes me similar to Stein, it seems. Hmm...

              High Thoughts,

              - Mod Mom #2

              --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Astrofiammante" <queen.astrofiammante@...> wrote:

              > Got there in the end :D
              >
              > http://www.myweeklybook.net/2009/07/20/jungian-psychological-types-and-julian-may/

            • Astrofiammante
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 26 10:22 AM
                --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "mariposa7b5" <nicolel@...> wrote:
                > I'm thinking of putting the URL of it in the 'Links' section, for others to read, if that's OK with you. ^_^

                I'd feel quite honoured if you though it was interesting enough to be worth including.
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 28 2:11 AM

                  You're welcome... I've put a link to your article in 'Links'. :)

                  I'm curious to see what categories you would put the main characters from the 'Milieu' series in. ^_~