Re: Milieu Companion

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 21, 2009

      Yes, it's OK to start file folders. I shall start the first one in the Files section myself. :) I will be happy as well to transfer glossary entries from posts to files if need be - I should be able to do that from my end. I can think a bit like a librarian, so organising doesn't bother me too much. ;)

      I will have a go at making some New Companion(TM) entries too.

      It would be nice to see new fan art from the creative members of this list - I did a bit some years back for the great Pallol's Place fan art site, and I feel like doing a new one of Lucille Remillard. I'm involved in the Harry Potter community, and the amount and quality of fan art there is amazing.

      High Thoughts,

      Mod Mom #2

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 21, 2009

        I've got a copy of 'Dune Roller', it's in a book of short sci-fi stories that is somewhere on my book shelf. Hiding, no doubt. I thought it was a nicely written take on the 'menace from outer space' plot, if I remember rightly.

        I couldn't have written something like that when I was 20, anyway. :)

        High Thoughts,

        Mod Mom #2

        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "alixnc" <alixnc@...> wrote:

        > > One gem I found amongst the PDFs was the Dune Roller short story. I had never read it before and was very keen to sink my teeth(eyes) into it. I wont prejudice any response here (one way or the other) by giving my thoughts just yet. But I was wondering whether anyone else has managed to read the story and what they thought of it?
        > >
        > > Surely Mod Mom 2 has read it.
        > Way to go, Niall!!
        > Re "Dune Roller," yes I've read it, and will reserve my own opinion until others have commented, except to add that science fiction critics have generally noted it as the first important work of its kind to deal with ecological issues. Our JM was a 20-year-old college student when it was published.
      • Padraig Timmins
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 22, 2009
          Where are we doing this Companion?

          Cheers

          Padster

          2009/3/22 mariposa7b5 <nicolel@...>

          Hi there,

          I've got a copy of 'Dune Roller', it's in a book of short sci-fi stories that is somewhere on my book shelf. Hiding, no doubt. I thought it was a nicely written take on the 'menace from outer space' plot, if I remember rightly.

          I couldn't have written something like that when I was 20, anyway. :)

          High Thoughts,

          Mod Mom #2

          --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "alixnc" <alixnc@...> wrote:

          > > One gem I found amongst the PDFs was the Dune Roller short story. I had never read it before and was very keen to sink my teeth(eyes) into it. I wont prejudice any response here (one way or the other) by giving my thoughts just yet. But I was wondering whether anyone else has managed to read the story and what they thought of it?
          > >
          > > Surely Mod Mom 2 has read it.
          > Way to go, Niall!!
          > Re "Dune Roller," yes I've read it, and will reserve my own opinion until others have commented, except to add that science fiction critics have generally noted it as the first important work of its kind to deal with ecological issues. Our JM was a 20-year-old college student when it was published.

        • niallperry
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 23, 2009
            --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Padraig Timmins <timmypaddins@...> wrote:

            > WOW! Where did you get the PDF's?
            >
            > Cheers
            >

            > Padster

            Search for torrents and you will find them, and more. and in case somebody jumps at me for downloading them, I already own all the books and downloaded purely for ease of research.

            Sláinte

            Niall
          • niallperry
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 23, 2009
              I've been playing around with the PDFs and .lit files I downloaded. The format of the pdf files isn't great. however I have some .lit files which I used a converter on and now have a nice .doc file.

              I've nearly completed Intervention, a little bit of tidying up to do, but looks good so far.

              Now there is a tricky question to ask and answer here, I don't want to upload the files here (copyrights and legalese in relation to publishing and distribution)

              So couple of questions here:

              how to distribute legally (if possible)? (this links to Alixncs point about communication as well)

              do we (the royal we) want to use these files at all or everyone use there own sources, or somebody else files?

              As for a project to start work on, I don't know. I did a character listing (basic) long ago, and have revisited it recently in the hopes of expansion. But I think i want to do something else first, not sure what, I like the idea of all the whiskeys mentioned (but that may be just because I'm Irish)

              Sláinte

              Niall

              --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "alixnc" <alixnc@...> wrote:

              > --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "niallperry" <niall_perry@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Well I found some PDFs online of pretty much all JM's Books, but unfortunately they don't follow the page numbering conventions of the actual novels, so referencing page numbers won't work there, (maybe references to chapters and paragraphs might help.
              > >

              > > Surely Mod Mom 2 has read it.
              > Way to go, Niall!!
              >
              > alix
              > aka Imho the Dwarf

            • niallperry
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 23, 2009
                Ok, I have to admit that I didn't particularly like dune roller, I wanted too. Just didn't flow for me, and I didn't care for the lead character, I had no interest in what happened to him. A nice SF story but left me a little flat.

                Sláinte

                Niall

                > Re "Dune Roller," yes I've read it, and will reserve my own opinion until others have commented, except to add that science fiction critics have generally noted it as the first important work of its kind to deal with ecological issues. Our JM was a 20-year-old college student when it was published.

                > alix
                > aka Imho the Dwarf

              • James Kendrick
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 2009
                  I have a Dune fan forum, www.jacurutu.com and I find it curious that this was mentioned as being a first in dealing with ecological issues (1950).  Julian May is one of my favorites, it would be a wonderfull coincidence to find that she was an influence on Frank Herbert (Dune 1965).  Especially considering Dune was first published serially by Campbell in his magazine.

                  I haven't read "Dune Roller", would anyone mind giving me a very brief summary?