Milieu Companion

  • alixnc
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 12, 2009
      While we all get our thoughts organized (I hear you talking, Niall) for what it takes to produce content amd platform for a Milieu Companion, how about a few small fun projects for any and all to try their hands at?

      When you post on any of these individual topics, start a new thread if there's not already one, OK?

      Companion entries (see A Pliocene Companion for any related materials and form). PLEASE record JM novel sources by volume and chapter:

      The Great Carbuncle
      Laika the Dog (and her Simbiari rescuers)
      The Prime Entelechy
      Laura Tremblay (and, who is her biological father?)
      Varieties of Scotch mentioned
      OR
      Anything you like

      Especially for Dink ... OK, you claim you are creativity-deficient. So go through all nine novels and compile all physical descriptions of the Auberge du Portail (remember Madame G's roses!!). There is a good bit in Magnificat, in addition to material in the Saga.

      Oliver ... How about a list of languages that need a bit or more of translation? I keep running across odd fragments of Polish et al.

      Nicolette .... Can we talk? LOLOL

      persisting stubbornly,
      alix
    • niallperry
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 20, 2009
        Well I found some PDFs online of pretty much all JM's Books, but unfortunately they don't follow the page numbering conventions of the actual novels, so referencing page numbers won't work there, (maybe references to chapters and paragraphs might help.

        One gem I found amongst the PDFs was the Dune Roller short story. I had never read it before and was very keen to sink my teeth(eyes) into it. I wont prejudice any response here (one way or the other) by giving my thoughts just yet. But I was wondering whether anyone else has managed to read the story and what they thought of it?

        Surely Mod Mom 2 has read it.

        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "alixnc" <alixnc@...> wrote:

        > While we all get our thoughts organized (I hear you talking, Niall) for what it takes to produce content amd platform for a Milieu Companion, how about a few small fun projects for any and all to try their hands at?
        >
        > When you post on any of these individual topics, start a new thread if there's not already one, OK?
        >
        > Companion entries (see A Pliocene Companion for any related materials and form). PLEASE record JM novel sources by volume and chapter:
        >
        > The Great Carbuncle
        > Laika the Dog (and her Simbiari rescuers)
        > The Prime Entelechy
        > Laura Tremblay (and, who is her biological father?)
        > Varieties of Scotch mentioned
        > OR
        > Anything you like
        >
        > Especially for Dink ... OK, you claim you are creativity-deficient. So go through all nine novels and compile all physical descriptions of the Auberge du Portail (remember Madame G's roses!!). There is a good bit in Magnificat, in addition to material in the Saga.
        >
        > Oliver ... How about a list of languages that need a bit or more of translation? I keep running across odd fragments of Polish et al.
        >
        > Nicolette .... Can we talk? LOLOL
        >
        > persisting stubbornly,
        > alix

      • Padraig Timmins
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 20, 2009
          WOW!  Where did you get the PDF's?

          Cheers

          Padster

          2009/3/20 niallperry <niall_perry@...>

          Well I found some PDFs online of pretty much all JM's Books, but unfortunately they don't follow the page numbering conventions of the actual novels, so referencing page numbers won't work there, (maybe references to chapters and paragraphs might help.

          One gem I found amongst the PDFs was the Dune Roller short story. I had never read it before and was very keen to sink my teeth(eyes) into it. I wont prejudice any response here (one way or the other) by giving my thoughts just yet. But I was wondering whether anyone else has managed to read the story and what they thought of it?

          Surely Mod Mom 2 has read it.

          --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "alixnc" <alixnc@...> wrote:

          > While we all get our thoughts organized (I hear you talking, Niall) for what it takes to produce content amd platform for a Milieu Companion, how about a few small fun projects for any and all to try their hands at?
          >
          > When you post on any of these individual topics, start a new thread if there's not already one, OK?
          >
          > Companion entries (see A Pliocene Companion for any related materials and form). PLEASE record JM novel sources by volume and chapter:
          >
          > The Great Carbuncle
          > Laika the Dog (and her Simbiari rescuers)
          > The Prime Entelechy
          > Laura Tremblay (and, who is her biological father?)
          > Varieties of Scotch mentioned
          > OR
          > Anything you like
          >
          > Especially for Dink ... OK, you claim you are creativity-deficient. So go through all nine novels and compile all physical descriptions of the Auberge du Portail (remember Madame G's roses!!). There is a good bit in Magnificat, in addition to material in the Saga.
          >
          > Oliver ... How about a list of languages that need a bit or more of translation? I keep running across odd fragments of Polish et al.
          >
          > Nicolette .... Can we talk? LOLOL
          >
          > persisting stubbornly,
          > alix

        • alixnc
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 20, 2009
            --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "niallperry" <niall_perry@...> wrote:

            > Well I found some PDFs online of pretty much all JM's Books, but unfortunately they don't follow the page numbering conventions of the actual novels, so referencing page numbers won't work there, (maybe references to chapters and paragraphs might help.
            >
            > One gem I found amongst the PDFs was the Dune Roller short story. I had never read it before and was very keen to sink my teeth(eyes) into it. I wont prejudice any response here (one way or the other) by giving my thoughts just yet. But I was wondering whether anyone else has managed to read the story and what they thought of it?
            >
            > Surely Mod Mom 2 has read it.
            Way to go, Niall!!
            Re "Dune Roller," yes I've read it, and will reserve my own opinion until others have commented, except to add that science fiction critics have generally noted it as the first important work of its kind to deal with ecological issues. Our JM was a 20-year-old college student when it was published.
            Volume and chapter references are not only fine but necessary when framing Companion materials for general reader use. There still remain working problems, though for the actual indexing machine. If there is a better generally available indexing notation platform than MS Word, speak up. You are obviously the expert.
            The full Adobe Acrobat, the natural platform for PDFs, will probably work even better, but it is VERY expensive, and using it will limit our field of available indexers. This leaves the problem of extracting the text from the PDFs and transferring it to a working file. Is this possible?
            More on this in a separate post, including a suggestion or two our long-suffering ModMom will hopefully consider.
            alix
            aka Imho the Dwarf
          • alixnc
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 20, 2009
              A few interim bits for contributors, volunteers, and readers:

              ModMom - Is it OK to start file folders of smaller Companion entries JMDers who shudder at projects like indexing might want to try their hands at? Suggestions on form? Do you want to transfer glossary entries from posts to files? How might we do this? One hopes this will develop into a website eventually, but we need to make a visible start we can get our teeth into.

              Companion entries - Any subject, character, etc., you like from the Intervention of Milieu Trilogy books, or update on Pliocene subjects.
              This can certainly include orgininal or other art, since our work will be published online. Glossary entries should be definition rather than opinion, though witty framing is always welcome. Have FUN with these.

              Padster and our UK members: We're going to need your help, especially, finding translators and researchers in matters Gaelic. For starters, you can tell us if we are looking at both Scots and Irish Gaelic work, in addition to Scots dialect.

              Oliver - Thank you sweetly for volunteering on the Latin, and here's a repeat of the request for a list of languages. I do have a friend I can strongarm into doing the Japanese, who's just retiring from 20+ years of teaching in Tokyo.

              We need volunteers, contributors and suggestions in areas large and small, including but not limited to:
              Organizing and communications - HELP!!! ModMom and Niall expecially
              Indexers (I'll do Magnificat) and proofreaders
              Translators
              Web and software geeks
              Librarians and researchers
              Writers - Whether it's a short paragraph, a summary for newbies. a timeline, whatever.

              EVERYONE -- What would you like to see in a Milieu Companion?

              Post your ideas. Email others. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

              alix
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 21, 2009

                Yes, it's OK to start file folders. I shall start the first one in the Files section myself. :) I will be happy as well to transfer glossary entries from posts to files if need be - I should be able to do that from my end. I can think a bit like a librarian, so organising doesn't bother me too much. ;)

                I will have a go at making some New Companion(TM) entries too.

                It would be nice to see new fan art from the creative members of this list - I did a bit some years back for the great Pallol's Place fan art site, and I feel like doing a new one of Lucille Remillard. I'm involved in the Harry Potter community, and the amount and quality of fan art there is amazing.

                High Thoughts,

                Mod Mom #2

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 21, 2009

                  I've got a copy of 'Dune Roller', it's in a book of short sci-fi stories that is somewhere on my book shelf. Hiding, no doubt. I thought it was a nicely written take on the 'menace from outer space' plot, if I remember rightly.

                  I couldn't have written something like that when I was 20, anyway. :)

                  High Thoughts,

                  Mod Mom #2

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 22, 2009
                    Where are we doing this Companion?

                    Cheers

                    Padster

                    Hi there,

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 23, 2009
                      --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Padraig Timmins <timmypaddins@...> wrote:

                      > WOW! Where did you get the PDF's?
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      >

                      > Padster

                      Search for torrents and you will find them, and more. and in case somebody jumps at me for downloading them, I already own all the books and downloaded purely for ease of research.

                      Sláinte

                      Niall
                    • niallperry
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 23, 2009
                        I've been playing around with the PDFs and .lit files I downloaded. The format of the pdf files isn't great. however I have some .lit files which I used a converter on and now have a nice .doc file.

                        I've nearly completed Intervention, a little bit of tidying up to do, but looks good so far.

                        Now there is a tricky question to ask and answer here, I don't want to upload the files here (copyrights and legalese in relation to publishing and distribution)

                        So couple of questions here:

                        how to distribute legally (if possible)? (this links to Alixncs point about communication as well)

                        do we (the royal we) want to use these files at all or everyone use there own sources, or somebody else files?

                        As for a project to start work on, I don't know. I did a character listing (basic) long ago, and have revisited it recently in the hopes of expansion. But I think i want to do something else first, not sure what, I like the idea of all the whiskeys mentioned (but that may be just because I'm Irish)

                        Sláinte

                        Niall

                        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "alixnc" <alixnc@...> wrote:

                        > --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "niallperry" <niall_perry@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Well I found some PDFs online of pretty much all JM's Books, but unfortunately they don't follow the page numbering conventions of the actual novels, so referencing page numbers won't work there, (maybe references to chapters and paragraphs might help.
                        > >

                        > > Surely Mod Mom 2 has read it.
                        > Way to go, Niall!!
                        >
                        > alix
                        > aka Imho the Dwarf

                      • niallperry
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 23, 2009
                          Ok, I have to admit that I didn't particularly like dune roller, I wanted too. Just didn't flow for me, and I didn't care for the lead character, I had no interest in what happened to him. A nice SF story but left me a little flat.

                          Sláinte

                          Niall

                          > Re "Dune Roller," yes I've read it, and will reserve my own opinion until others have commented, except to add that science fiction critics have generally noted it as the first important work of its kind to deal with ecological issues. Our JM was a 20-year-old college student when it was published.

                          > alix
                          > aka Imho the Dwarf

                        • James Kendrick
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 1 10:53 AM
                            I have a Dune fan forum, www.jacurutu.com and I find it curious that this was mentioned as being a first in dealing with ecological issues (1950).  Julian May is one of my favorites, it would be a wonderfull coincidence to find that she was an influence on Frank Herbert (Dune 1965).  Especially considering Dune was first published serially by Campbell in his magazine.

                            I haven't read "Dune Roller", would anyone mind giving me a very brief summary?