Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Digest Number 139

  • David Howdon
    Message 1 of 2 , May 16, 2001
      > Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 01:04:24 -0000
      > From: evasion@...
      >Subject: Greetings and a request...
      >
      >Firstly a friendly greeting to you all, for this is my first post.

      Hello and welcome.

      >Evasion
      >
      >ps. a little nit-picking, in all the titles it says: AUTHOR. Julian
      >May is a she, therefore an Authoress :)

      -ess is a diminutive modifier to a word. It is used for females and still
      carries the conotation of being lesser than the unmodified equivalent.

      Therefore it is fairly common practice to use the non-gender marked term
      author unless indicating the sex of the author in question is necessary and
      is not otherwise aparent from context.

      Dave

    • Evasion
      Message 2 of 2 , May 16, 2001
        Well Dave,

        To be honest, I never knew Julian May was a 'she' until I got my copy
        of the Companion [where her picture is included]. I had always
        thought of Julian as a male name. But maybe that's just me...

        Evasion