Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: Yet Another Fan

  • Stephen Nicholson
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2008
      Hi there marc and Nicolette and the the group.

      All this reminds me of how I first came to read the Saga of the Exiles. It was way back when I think the first 3 books had been published. A friend told me about them - so that Christmas I bugged my Mum and Dad to buy them for me.

      We were on holidays by the Nambucca River here in Australia, and I sat myself under a tree by the river and started to read. I think the only reasons that ever moved the whole day was to get a drink or food, or to move my chair to follow the shade. I simply devoured the books - probably not all 3 in the day - but it didn't take me long to finish them.

      Then came the torturous wait for the Adversary ... :-)

      After I read them, I re-read them. I think that apart from Lord of the Rings, I've read the Saga and Galactic Milieu more times than anything else in my collection.

      My copies became so battered that I had to go out last year and scour the 2nd-hand bookshops of Sydney for fresh copies.

      I know sometimes currently famous authors like Neil Gaimain are asked by publishers about books they would like to see back in print. I hope one of those authors recommends JM's works. They're so hard to find now. I remember many years back seeing the entire Saga in hard-cover at a local Sci-fi bookstore. I kick myself over and over that I never bought them then. (At least I did buy the limited edition official Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy towel - still in mint condition ;-)

      Cheers,

      -- Stephen, Sydney.

      On 30 Oct 2008, at 9:54 AM, mariposa7b5 wrote:

      Hi there,

      It sounds like your Dad had a good idea. :) I always like the story of
      how Julian May got the initial inspiration to write the whole series
      after she made a 'diamond-studded silver space suit' for a sci-fi
      convention, and then started wondering what kind of person would wear
      such a thing. As you do.

      PS: This website occasionally gets spam, unfortunately. Fortunately as
      a moderator, my special Mod Stick(TM) can take care of it.

      --- In Julian-May-discuss@ yahoogroups. com, "marc.remillard"
      <marc.remillard@ ...> wrote:

      > Actually, a while back I just searched my bookshelves, looking for
      > something I hadn't read, and I saw Diamond Mask. Apparently I had
      > gotten it from my dad a long time ago, and simply never noticed it.
      It
      > looked weird, but it turned out to be the second in a series, so I
      > bought the rest of its series, the Intervention series, and the
      > Pliocene Exile series. But I read them in reverse order to that...
      Then

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
        Hi Stephen,

        I will have to admit my copies of the Saga are looking pretty worn,
        er, well loved as well. I'm glad I was able to practically read the
        whole lot at one go. :-p

        I think there's some authors whose books shouldn't go out of print,
        and JM definitely gets my vote.

        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Nicholson