Re: Yet Another Fan

  • marc.remillard
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2008
      Actually, a while back I just searched my bookshelves, looking for
      something I hadn't read, and I saw Diamond Mask. Apparently I had
      gotten it from my dad a long time ago, and simply never noticed it. It
      looked weird, but it turned out to be the second in a series, so I
      bought the rest of its series, the Intervention series, and the
      Pliocene Exile series. But I read them in reverse order to that... Then
      I just decided that I wanted to talk about it, so I kept searching
      until I found this group!
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 2008

        It sounds like your Dad had a good idea. :) I always like the story of
        how Julian May got the initial inspiration to write the whole series
        after she made a 'diamond-studded silver space suit' for a sci-fi
        convention, and then started wondering what kind of person would wear
        such a thing. As you do.

        PS: This website occasionally gets spam, unfortunately. Fortunately as
        a moderator, my special Mod Stick(TM) can take care of it.

        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "marc.remillard"
        <marc.remillard@...> wrote:

        > Actually, a while back I just searched my bookshelves, looking for
        > something I hadn't read, and I saw Diamond Mask. Apparently I had
        > gotten it from my dad a long time ago, and simply never noticed it.
        It
        > looked weird, but it turned out to be the second in a series, so I
        > bought the rest of its series, the Intervention series, and the
        > Pliocene Exile series. But I read them in reverse order to that...
        Then
        > I just decided that I wanted to talk about it, so I kept searching
        > until I found this group!

      • Stephen Nicholson
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 30, 2008
          Hi there marc and Nicolette and the the group.

          All this reminds me of how I first came to read the Saga of the Exiles. It was way back when I think the first 3 books had been published. A friend told me about them - so that Christmas I bugged my Mum and Dad to buy them for me.

          We were on holidays by the Nambucca River here in Australia, and I sat myself under a tree by the river and started to read. I think the only reasons that ever moved the whole day was to get a drink or food, or to move my chair to follow the shade. I simply devoured the books - probably not all 3 in the day - but it didn't take me long to finish them.

          Then came the torturous wait for the Adversary ... :-)

          After I read them, I re-read them. I think that apart from Lord of the Rings, I've read the Saga and Galactic Milieu more times than anything else in my collection.

          My copies became so battered that I had to go out last year and scour the 2nd-hand bookshops of Sydney for fresh copies.

          I know sometimes currently famous authors like Neil Gaimain are asked by publishers about books they would like to see back in print. I hope one of those authors recommends JM's works. They're so hard to find now. I remember many years back seeing the entire Saga in hard-cover at a local Sci-fi bookstore. I kick myself over and over that I never bought them then. (At least I did buy the limited edition official Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy towel - still in mint condition ;-)

          Cheers,

          -- Stephen, Sydney.

          Hi there,

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
            Hi Stephen,

            I will have to admit my copies of the Saga are looking pretty worn,
            er, well loved as well. I'm glad I was able to practically read the
            whole lot at one go. :-p

            I think there's some authors whose books shouldn't go out of print,
            and JM definitely gets my vote.

            --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Nicholson