Yet Another Fan

  • marc.remillard
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 26, 2008
      I am a seriously Julian May-obsessed person, and for months I've been looking for something like this group. At last I have found you, and now I intend to stay. I'm absolutely certain that I'm going to love talking about this, because I've been spending years reading Julian May over and over without anyone much to talk to about it. (I've been deprived, I know.)
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 28, 2008

        Welcome to our group, I'm glad you found us then, and hope you enjoy
        your stay here. :) I know what it's like to feel you're the sole 'fan'
        in a fandom.

        Have fun looking through the message archives and links, and feel free
        to start up a discussion.

        What drew you to this fandom? In my case, let's see, I started reading
        the 'Exiles' books over 10 years ago, and by the time I was half way
        through it, knew I had found something special. :)

        High thoughts,

        Nicolette :-)
        Mod Mom No.2

        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "marc.remillard"
        <marc.remillard@...> wrote:

        > I am a seriously Julian May-obsessed person, and for months I've been
        > looking for something like this group. At last I have found you, and now
        > I intend to stay. I'm absolutely certain that I'm going to love talking
        > about this, because I've been spending years reading Julian May over and
        > over without anyone much to talk to about it. (I've been deprived, I
        > know.)

      • marc.remillard
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 2008
          Actually, a while back I just searched my bookshelves, looking for
          something I hadn't read, and I saw Diamond Mask. Apparently I had
          gotten it from my dad a long time ago, and simply never noticed it. It
          looked weird, but it turned out to be the second in a series, so I
          bought the rest of its series, the Intervention series, and the
          Pliocene Exile series. But I read them in reverse order to that... Then
          I just decided that I wanted to talk about it, so I kept searching
          until I found this group!
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 29, 2008

            It sounds like your Dad had a good idea. :) I always like the story of
            how Julian May got the initial inspiration to write the whole series
            after she made a 'diamond-studded silver space suit' for a sci-fi
            convention, and then started wondering what kind of person would wear
            such a thing. As you do.

            PS: This website occasionally gets spam, unfortunately. Fortunately as
            a moderator, my special Mod Stick(TM) can take care of it.

            <marc.remillard@...> wrote:

            > Actually, a while back I just searched my bookshelves, looking for
            > something I hadn't read, and I saw Diamond Mask. Apparently I had
            > gotten it from my dad a long time ago, and simply never noticed it.
            It
            > looked weird, but it turned out to be the second in a series, so I
            > bought the rest of its series, the Intervention series, and the
            > Pliocene Exile series. But I read them in reverse order to that...
            Then
            > I just decided that I wanted to talk about it, so I kept searching
            > until I found this group!

          • Stephen Nicholson
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 30, 2008
              Hi there marc and Nicolette and the the group.

              All this reminds me of how I first came to read the Saga of the Exiles. It was way back when I think the first 3 books had been published. A friend told me about them - so that Christmas I bugged my Mum and Dad to buy them for me.

              We were on holidays by the Nambucca River here in Australia, and I sat myself under a tree by the river and started to read. I think the only reasons that ever moved the whole day was to get a drink or food, or to move my chair to follow the shade. I simply devoured the books - probably not all 3 in the day - but it didn't take me long to finish them.

              Then came the torturous wait for the Adversary ... :-)

              After I read them, I re-read them. I think that apart from Lord of the Rings, I've read the Saga and Galactic Milieu more times than anything else in my collection.

              My copies became so battered that I had to go out last year and scour the 2nd-hand bookshops of Sydney for fresh copies.

              I know sometimes currently famous authors like Neil Gaimain are asked by publishers about books they would like to see back in print. I hope one of those authors recommends JM's works. They're so hard to find now. I remember many years back seeing the entire Saga in hard-cover at a local Sci-fi bookstore. I kick myself over and over that I never bought them then. (At least I did buy the limited edition official Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy towel - still in mint condition ;-)

              Cheers,

              -- Stephen, Sydney.

              Hi there,

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
                Hi Stephen,

                I will have to admit my copies of the Saga are looking pretty worn,
                er, well loved as well. I'm glad I was able to practically read the
                whole lot at one go. :-p

                I think there's some authors whose books shouldn't go out of print,
                and JM definitely gets my vote.

                --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Nicholson