Re: Felice and the Many-in-All

  • Michelle Rose
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 27, 2008
      Oliver:
      Ah, nothing so rarified, I fear. The Earth's WorldMind or
      noosphere, as Teilhard de Chardin termed it, was not yet coalesced
      and would not be so for another six million years. Alas, it was
      merely the Children of the Rebels and not Marc himself. Cloud makes a
      passing reference to this in 'The Nonborn King'. True, Marc himself
      stepped in and directed the metaconcert during the Breach of
      Gibraltar--expert in aggressive metafunctions, as always--but it was
      Cloud and Hagen who led the other children (young adults, really) and
      I recall that Marc was amused at their fumbling efforts to direct
      their first long-range metaconcert. Cloud and Hagen had been
      following Felice via farsight for some weeks, ever since her escape
      from the convoy from Castle Gateway. It is even possible, though not
      specfically stated, that they may have helped her even then. Marc's
      children saw from the very start--I'm sure Cloud noticed it
      immediately, given her redactive and coercive skills--that Felice's
      potentials far exceeded anyone that they had ever encountered,
      including their own father's. It's safe to say that Hagen, with his
      deep-seated hatred of Marc, first conceived the notion of turning
      Felice into a weapon they could use against him. Which, as we all
      know, backfired rather spectacularly.

      Michelle

      --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Oliver
      Mundy" <oliver.mundy@...> wrote:

      > Here is another knotty point regarding Felice which I hope will
      provoke some thoughts, high or otherwise: - During the trip down the
      Rhône in 'The Golden Torc', when Harry the boatman escapes from
      Felice's control and she is unable to stabilise the boat unaided, she
      tries to apply her own interpretation of prayer (following Amerie's
      suggestion) and makes contact with something described as 'the many-
      in-All', which lends its strength to her. My question is: - What is
      this many-in-All? It is clearly not identical with the metaconcert
      of Marc's followers which helps her during the flooding of the
      Mediterranean, since we are told that at that stage the many-in-All
      refuses its aid to Felice - from which it is clear that we are
      concerned with something that has both volition and a sense of right
      and wrong, rather than a simple force of nature. Surely nothing less
      than a fully mature World Mind, embodying a Unified community, could
      possess both the power and the consciousness to act in this way; and
      yet the indications are that at this period there is no such
      community anywhere in the universe - at least Marc, with all his
      natural and artificial powers, has found nothing of the sort. So
      what or whom has Felice found? Is it the inhabitants of the Duat
      galaxy (who are said at the very end to be close to Unity), or their
      comrades the Ships; or is it perhaps Divinity itself?

      > Oliver Mundy.

    • Michelle Rose
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 27, 2008
        Oliver:
        After some perusal of my copies of the Pliocene Exile, I cannot
        find any direct reference to Cloud admitting that they specifically
        assisted Felice in the levitation of Johnny's pneumatic barge.
        However, in the scene toward the end of 'The Nonborn King', with
        Kuhal in Skin and Cloud assisting in his redaction, they are
        conducting a conversation in intimate mode, relating to each other
        their respective histories and Cloud DOES admit that she and the
        Children of the Rebels had been watching the Many-Colored Land for a
        long time before the advent of Felice. It strikes me, therefore, as
        entirely possible that a weak, long-distance metaconcert was employed
        by the Children to temporarily boost Felice's nascent powers and lift
        that barge long enough to avoid its destruction in the rapids.
        Possible, not unlikely and again, confirmeable only by JM herself.
        So: we may speculate and that's most of the fun, n'cest ce
        pas?

        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle
        Rose" <michelle_rose3@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > refuses its aid to Felice - from which it is clear that we are
        > concerned with something that has both volition and a sense of
        right
        > and wrong, rather than a simple force of nature. Surely nothing
        less
        > than a fully mature World Mind, embodying a Unified community,
        could
        > possess both the power and the consciousness to act in this way;
        and
        > yet the indications are that at this period there is no such
        > community anywhere in the universe - at least Marc, with all his
        > natural and artificial powers, has found nothing of the sort. So
        > what or whom has Felice found? Is it the inhabitants of the Duat
        > galaxy (who are said at the very end to be close to Unity), or
        their
        > comrades the Ships; or is it perhaps Divinity itself?

      • Oliver Mundy
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 29, 2008
          Thank you, Michelle, for your comments.

                  In the passage in 'The Golden Torc', we find Felice appealing to three potential sources of strength: 'the two-in-One', who are now 'oddly separate' and so unavailable (clearly Elizabeth and Brede);  'the many-in-All so much further out' who had helped her before, but who now refuse their aid and 'try to show her other ways';  and a new focus from the west, 'so bright, so early-rising', which does reinforce her final blast.  (This sounds like Marc, and probably - I would agree - Marc in isolation rather than as part of any metaconcert, since the curious description [dawn coming from the *West*?] prefigures the attribute 'star of morning' which is applied to him personally later on.)  This does leave room, as you suggest, for identifying the many-in-All with the amateur metaconcert of the second-generation Ocalans.  But is the altruism and non-violence which is implicit in the behaviour of the many-in-All, really in character for these young Rebels?  Most of those whom we meet afterwards seem quite capable of (as Kuhal puts it later in the conversation which you have quoted) letting the water into the ants' nest, just to watch the fun;  perhaps Cloud might hold back for reasons of conscience and humanity, but can you imagine Hagen, for example, or Vaughn Jarrow, or even the rational but decidely chilly Elaby Gathen, doing so?  This is the consideration which makes me continue feel that something of a higher and in every sense remoter nature ('so much further out') must be involved.

                  Well, as you say, we can do no more than speculate - and be grateful to JM, mere 'entertainer' though she professes to be, for giving us so much to speculate about.

                  Oliver Mundy.
        • Padraig Timmins
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 31, 2008
            I can't remember the specific timeline at the mo regards when the Rebel Kids started to help Felice, but I can't think that this aid could have been provided by anyone other than them.  If anything such as 'Divinity' existed, then why on earth would it help Felice.  Such an all-knowing 'Divinity' would have know what a horrible person Felice was and to have aided her would have been tantamount to being responsible for the murder of thousands........but hey, its not as though God is not responsible for that kind of thing anyway......if he exists.....

            Cheers

            Padster

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 13, 2008
              My dear Oliver:
              A most cogent analysis and one with which I quite agree. The
              'two-in-one' is undoubtedly Brede and Elizabeth. Additionally, it is
              quite unreasonable to expect, as you said, that the Children of the
              Rebels would display anything resembling the altruism ethic that was
              imparted to their parents.

              'So much further out'. Interesting. I'd missed that reference.
              It DOES make one wonder. Lylmik, perhaps? We know that they existed
              in the Pliocene Galaxy, Marc simply never found them, partly because
              their sun did not register the same spectral signature it did in the
              time of the Milieu. Curious. And curiously compelling. Ah well, just
              another reason to re-read the series. You can imagine my dismay.

            • AbyssAngyl@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 14, 2008
                Hi All,

                Although Marc did search for the Lylmik- he never found them. They had not come into being ... yet. I suspect as it was suggested by Marc (I am THE Lylmik) Atoning Unifex that the Lylmik are the evolved decendants of the Duat galaxy. He hinted strongly in several places that this was the case.

              • Angel
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 14, 2008
                  I think it's very clear, overall in "Jack The Bodyless".

                  And Uncle Rogi, Tell Marc: "You Lylmik bastard!...." (or something
                  simmilar several times! :))

                  --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, AbyssAngyl@... wrote:

                  > Hi All,
                  >
                  > Although Marc did search for the Lylmik- he never found them. They
                  had not
                  > come into being ... yet. I suspect as it was suggested by Marc (I
                  am THE
                  > Lylmik) Atoning Unifex that the Lylmik are the evolved decendants of
                  the Duat
                  > galaxy. He hinted strongly in several places that this was the case.
                  >

                  > **************Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new
                  fashion blog,
                  > plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.
                  > (http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014)

                • Padraig Timmins
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008

                    I would agree that the two in one is Brede and Elizabeth.  I don't recall the specifics so can't comment on the 'altruism' of them, but don't see recall a reason why the many in all can't be the rebel kids, and it could be the Firvulag too, who also possessed limited skill in meta-concerts, even if they were reluctant to use them before Sharn and Ayfa took over.  And there is NO doubt that it is Marc who helped Felce with the final blast of Gibraltar.  I am sure he even admits to it, and Elizabeth is sure too.

                    As for the Lylmik as a possible explanation for the many-in-all, this is a TOTAL non-starter.  The Lylmik did not exists in the Pliocene Galaxy.  There is nothing to suggest they do, and there are specific statement by Atoning Unifix himself to say they didn't!

                    At the start of Diamond Mask, Atoning Unifix tells Rogi the following:

                         When the Duat work was done, Elizabeth was weary and ready to

                    pass on. She begged me to follow her into the peace and light of

                    the Cosmic All ... but I could not.

                         Instead, I felt compelled to return here. Alone, cut off from every

                    mind that had loved me and from the consoling Unity I had known in

                    Duat, I undertook what I judged was my true penance: to assist the

                    maturation of our own Galactic Mind.

                         Through years that seemed without end I guided one promising

                    planet after another, cajoling civilization from barbarism, altruism

                    from savagery. Of course I could not truly coerce the developing

                    races of the Milky Way. I only assisted the inevitable complexification

                    of the World Mind that accompanies life's evolution.

                         I made many ghastly mistakes.

                         Can you conceive of the doubts that assailed me, Rogi, the fear

                    that I might have succumbed to a hubris even more immense than

                    that which originally obsessed me? No ... I see that you can't

                    understand. Never mind, mon oncle. Only believe me. It was a

                    terrible time. Le bon dieu is as silent and invisible to the likes of

                    me as he is to any other material being. I could not help but ask

                    myself if I was committing a fresh sin of pride in thinking that my

                    assistance was needed.

                         Was I helping the Galactic Mind, or merely meddling with

                    evolution again, as I had been when I tried to engender Mental

                    Man?

                         Our galaxy has so many planets with thinking creatures! Yet so

                    few—so pathetically few!—ever achieved any sort of social or

                    mental maturity under my guidance, much less the coadunation

                    of the higher mindpowers that leads to Unity. But finally, perhaps

                    in spite of my efforts rather than as a result of them, I found success.

                    The Lylmik were the first minds to Unify, and I adopted their peculiar

                    race as my own. Then, aeons later, the Krondaku also achieved

                    coadunation.

                    Paragraph 2 above clearly states AU was CUT OFF from all the minds of Duat.  The final paragraph clearly states that the Lylmik achieved co-ordinance with AU's aid and the use of the term 'finally' and the suggesting that he made so many prior attempts with other civilisations suggest that it was a long time after his return before even the Lylmik managed to pull their socks up.

                    The Lylmik were simply not around in the Pliocene for Marc to contact and the comments of their sun being different is a TOTAL red herring.

                    Cheers

                    Padraig

                  • Rebecca
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
                      --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Padraig Timmins"
                      <timmypaddins@...> wrote:

                      > At the start of Diamond Mask, Atoning Unifix tells Rogi the
                      following:

                      > When the Duat work was done, Elizabeth was weary and ready to
                      >
                      > pass on. She begged me to follow her into the peace and light of
                      >
                      > the Cosmic All ... but I could not.
                      >
                      > Instead, I felt compelled to return here. Alone, cut off from
                      every

                      > mind that had loved me and from the consoling Unity I had known in
                      >
                      > Duat, I undertook what I judged was my true penance: to assist the
                      >
                      > maturation of our own Galactic Mind.
                      >
                      > Through years that seemed without end I guided one promising
                      >
                      > planet after another, cajoling civilization from barbarism,
                      altruism

                      > from savagery. Of course I could not truly coerce the developing
                      >
                      > races of the Milky Way. I only assisted the inevitable
                      complexification

                      > of the World Mind that accompanies life's evolution.
                      >
                      > I made many ghastly mistakes.
                      >
                      > Can you conceive of the doubts that assailed me, Rogi, the
                      fear

                      > that I might have succumbed to a hubris even more immense than
                      >
                      > that which originally obsessed me? No ... I see that you can't
                      >
                      > understand. Never mind, mon oncle. Only believe me. It was a
                      >
                      > terrible time. Le bon dieu is as silent and invisible to the likes
                      of

                      > me as he is to any other material being. I could not help but ask
                      >
                      > myself if I was committing a fresh sin of pride in thinking that my
                      >
                      > assistance was needed.
                      >
                      > Was I helping the Galactic Mind, or merely meddling with
                      >
                      > evolution again, as I had been when I tried to engender Mental
                      >
                      > Man?

                      I was always fascinated by this exchange. What mistakes did
                      Marc/Unifex make? And at what point did he actually "become"
                      Atoning Unifex? Was it only in response to the Metapsychic
                      Rebellion, or was there another disaster that he caused?
                    • Oliver Mundy
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 16, 2008
                        “I . . . don't see recall a reason why the many in all can't be the rebel
                        kids, and it could be the Firvulag too, who also possessed limited skill in
                        meta-concerts, even if they were reluctant to use them before Sharn and Ayfa
                        took over. And there is NO doubt that it is Marc who helped Felice with the
                        final blast of Gibraltar.” (Padraig)

                        Padraig: The suggestion of the Firvulag is one I had not thought of:
                        intriguing, certainly, especially in the light of the fact that they are
                        known to have helped Felice before during her escape from the Tanu
                        slave-caravan - but why would the Firvulag be described as 'so much farther
                        out'? And would they have been capable of the necessary combination of
                        minds at this period, before Sharn and Ayfa's reforms?

                        I do think, too, that there is a clear
                        distinction in the text between the many-in-All and the Ocalans. Of course
                        you are
                        right to say that Marc and his confederates, including the younger
                        generation (Cloud acknowledges this in her conversations with Kuhal, as you
                        have pointed out), were involved in the Gibraltar operation. That in fact
                        is the whole point, because the many-in-All was *not* so involved; it had
                        helped Felice on the Rhône, but this time it withheld its support and
                        'tr[ied] to show [Felice] other ways', and it was
                        only after this rejection that she found aid elsewhere - clearly from the
                        Rebels.

                        I feel more and more that the many-in-All may be identifiable with
                        the Ships. They seem to be the most advanced race in the Pliocene
                        universe; they have great metapsychic powers and are 'wholly benevolent'
                        (JM in 'The Pliocene Companion') and capable of selfless love; they may not
                        have achieved Unity as such (perhaps because they are not numerous enough,
                        although this is only a guess), but their welcoming appearance at the very
                        close of 'The Adversary', in response to Marc and Elizabeth's call, suggests
                        that they are at least aware of the concept.

                        Oliver Mundy.