Reading and Writers

  • newbobble
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6 8:00 AM
      I was just wondering how many people on this list actually write as
      well as read; in particular fiction but non-fiction as well?

      I know Nicolette does - though frankly list mom, I'm way too scared to
      read any of your work on the WIKTT Archives - ;-) but are there any
      other authors on here, fan fic. or otherwise?

      The reason I ask is that I'm currently writing a whole mess o'
      whitepapers on the Usability of UK educational websites, particularly
      portals and learning platforms, and just wondering if anybody else
      spends their day hunched over a keyboard for fun, recreation or profit!

      BTBG

      (Please, please , please, please let JM answer with a big yes! *grin*)
    • alixnc
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2008
        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "newbobble" <me@...> wrote:

        > I was just wondering how many people on this list actually write as
        > well as read; ... just wondering if anybody else
        > spends their day hunched over a keyboard for fun, recreation or
        profit!

        Well, yes, when I am not hunched over garden design and planting
        projects. Just got reconnected to the Web today via high speed DSL,
        and am catching up on research for a regional gardening website ...
        first planned short humor piece is "To Fool a Mockingbird" (required
        doing in two murderously thorny barberries, but the birds no longer
        strafe from the rear when I am bent over my prized perennials).
        Whatever happened to the plans for a comprehensive Julian May
        website? Retirement or no, I think this is still in order. Her work
        is too significant to be lost in the rush.
        More on writing: Bits of this and that, but no fiction in the near
        future ... I am in a reading phase, from the ever-present Saga/Milieu
        and Stephen King's contrapuntal Dark Tower series, to related works
        (well, I at least see a relationship) including Rushdie's 'Satanic
        Verses', Pynchon's 'Against the Day', et al.
        More on reading: Has anyone noticed the very chilling likeness of
        Maragaret Atwood's Crake character (from 'Oryx and Crake') to our own
        Marc Remillard? I will NEVER eat another chicken nugget (though I'd
        love to have a rakunk of my very own).
        Suggested antidote for those who have read 'Oryx and Crake' (makes
        Huxley and Orwell look like acolytes of Little Mary Sunshine): David
        Wroblewski's 'The Story of Edgar Sawtelle' -- a magnificent first
        novel about a boy and his dogs and his homicidal uncle.

        Still persisting stubbornly,
        Alix

        PS - What with all the politicians doing cameos in movies these days,
        maybe we should cast Dick Cheney as SebiGomnol.
      • Marcelo Pereira
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 17, 2008
          I'm just a journalist : )

          Marcelo