Re: Julian May - Retired?

    Message 1 of 9 , May 3 3:41 AM
      --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "niallperry"
      <niall_perry@...> wrote:

      > So a few questions for the crazies (mod moms 1&2 and bob included
      > LOL)
      >
      > When were your last rereads of The Saga or The Milieu series?
      > What did you really think of Rampart? (I loved them)
      > What are you reading now, other than May?
      >
      > Anyway back to work
      >
      > Slainte to all, and I'll try not to be a stranger

      Hi Niall,

      Crazies, hmm? *shakes head sadly* A Redactor will be off to see you,
      for your own good of course. :-p

      I re-read the whole Exiles / Milieu series last year... my copies
      are getting quite worn now. As it should be.

      I do like the Rampart books, especially as the (anti) hero reminds
      me of Rogi, but is in a better position to kick serious ass and take
      names when he's riled. LOL.

      What I'm reading now... I recently finished reading Sharon
      Shinn's 'Mystic and Rider' fantasy series. Although it has a
      familiar plot (magic users perceived as being Bad and targeted), the
      characters were strong and the four books in the series were real
      page turners.

      I certainly became a fan of Sharon Shinn ever since she wrote a
      convincing sci-fi version of Jane Eyre ('Jenna Starborn'), bizarre
      as that may sound!

      In other news, there is a new Milieu fanfic story at the 'Yuletide
      Treasure' website, a nice little one about Anne Remillard.

      http://yuletidetreasure.org/archive/fandom_julian_may__exiles_saga_an
      d_galactic_milieu.html

      High Thoughts,

      - Mod Mom #2
    • newbobble
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6 5:34 AM
        Oh you call me crazy, but you're just angry because the voices in my
        head don't talk to you! HAH!!

        Anyway, there are certain books I reread every year, the
        Exiles/Milieu of course being one of them, so I finished Magnificat
        around a month ago.

        For those demented enough to care the other yearly visits are the
        Dune Series (though the final `Sandworms' hurts my brain at how
        incredibly, sickeningly, lamely it ended), The Thomas Covenant
        Series, the Hitchhikers Guide Series.

        (On a side note, I'm currently about halfway through writing a fan-
        fiction `last' novel bringing all of the loose ends together in a
        much more lighter tone than the final Douglas Adams novel and
        bringing in elements he alluded to in other pieces including
        interviews and the radio series – which will be put on
        fanfiction.net 'sometime' this year)

        Half-a-dozen James Herbert books and about the same number of
        Diskworld novels (I never get tired of Reaper Man!)

        Other regular series of books over the years have been most of Clive
        Barker's fantasy books, Arthur C Clarke's 'Odyssey' series and Anne
        Rice's `Vampire' books.

        I LOVED the Rampart books; it took me a while to get the
        1950's `Astounding Science Fiction' kind of way it was written but
        when the tongue in cheek humour did click . . . it clicked big! I've
        said it before on this list and I'll say it again, how can you not
        love a series of books that starts off with the hero's home being sat
        on by a monstrous Sea-toad and finishes with him having two penises!?

        I still don't `get' the Trillium books mind you. LOL

        I'm currently re-reading a lot of Robert Rankin, because I just the
        love the sheer bizarreness of them – I was of course a Spike Milligan
        fan to begin with - and with titles such as `Sex and Drugs and
        Sausage Rolls', `The Brentford Chainstore Massacre' and `Fandom of
        the Operator', how can you go wrong?

        Slonshall

        BTBG

        <snip>