Re: Julian May - Retired?

  • bty350945
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2008
      "When were your last rereads of The Saga or The Milieu series? . . .
      What are you reading now, other than May?" (Niall Perry)

      One thing I have recently read which has some application here is
      Margery Allingham's last completed Albert Campion detective novel,
      'The Mind Readers' (1965). This is based on an idea which would
      become one of the principal motifs of 'Intervention', namely that
      extra-sensory perception might be studied and developed by national
      security services (British in this case) as a means of spy-proof
      communication. In the book, a schoolboy accidentally discovers that
      an unusual transistor manufactured by a Japanese company serves to
      magnify his natural talent for farsensing (to use the Milieu term) and
      to make it communicable to others: a kind of anticipation, on a very
      small scale, of the Tanu torcs or the cerebroenergetic devices of Marc
      and his crew. Given JM's known Anglophilia and interest in detective
      literature, I should not be at all surprised to learn that she knew
      the book.

      As a would-be Exile myself, I return to the Saga of the Exiles at
      least once a year, while the only reason why the Milieu series lags
      behind is that, in a domestic environment very like Owen Blanchard's
      on Ocala (minus the booze - my drugs come exclusively in paper, cloth
      or leather covers - but complete with cats), I have managed to lose
      two of the volumes.

      Oliver Mundy.
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2008
        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "niallperry"
        <niall_perry@...> wrote:

        > So a few questions for the crazies (mod moms 1&2 and bob included
        > LOL)
        >
        > When were your last rereads of The Saga or The Milieu series?
        > What did you really think of Rampart? (I loved them)
        > What are you reading now, other than May?
        >
        > Anyway back to work
        >
        > Slainte to all, and I'll try not to be a stranger

        Hi Niall,

        Crazies, hmm? *shakes head sadly* A Redactor will be off to see you,
        for your own good of course. :-p

        I re-read the whole Exiles / Milieu series last year... my copies
        are getting quite worn now. As it should be.

        I do like the Rampart books, especially as the (anti) hero reminds
        me of Rogi, but is in a better position to kick serious ass and take
        names when he's riled. LOL.

        What I'm reading now... I recently finished reading Sharon
        Shinn's 'Mystic and Rider' fantasy series. Although it has a
        familiar plot (magic users perceived as being Bad and targeted), the
        characters were strong and the four books in the series were real
        page turners.

        I certainly became a fan of Sharon Shinn ever since she wrote a
        convincing sci-fi version of Jane Eyre ('Jenna Starborn'), bizarre
        as that may sound!

        In other news, there is a new Milieu fanfic story at the 'Yuletide
        Treasure' website, a nice little one about Anne Remillard.

        http://yuletidetreasure.org/archive/fandom_julian_may__exiles_saga_an
        d_galactic_milieu.html

        High Thoughts,

        - Mod Mom #2
      • newbobble
        Message 3 of 9 , May 6, 2008
          Oh you call me crazy, but you're just angry because the voices in my
          head don't talk to you! HAH!!

          Anyway, there are certain books I reread every year, the
          Exiles/Milieu of course being one of them, so I finished Magnificat
          around a month ago.

          For those demented enough to care the other yearly visits are the
          Dune Series (though the final `Sandworms' hurts my brain at how
          incredibly, sickeningly, lamely it ended), The Thomas Covenant
          Series, the Hitchhikers Guide Series.

          (On a side note, I'm currently about halfway through writing a fan-
          fiction `last' novel bringing all of the loose ends together in a
          much more lighter tone than the final Douglas Adams novel and
          bringing in elements he alluded to in other pieces including
          interviews and the radio series – which will be put on
          fanfiction.net 'sometime' this year)

          Half-a-dozen James Herbert books and about the same number of
          Diskworld novels (I never get tired of Reaper Man!)

          Other regular series of books over the years have been most of Clive
          Barker's fantasy books, Arthur C Clarke's 'Odyssey' series and Anne
          Rice's `Vampire' books.

          I LOVED the Rampart books; it took me a while to get the
          1950's `Astounding Science Fiction' kind of way it was written but
          when the tongue in cheek humour did click . . . it clicked big! I've
          said it before on this list and I'll say it again, how can you not
          love a series of books that starts off with the hero's home being sat
          on by a monstrous Sea-toad and finishes with him having two penises!?

          I still don't `get' the Trillium books mind you. LOL

          I'm currently re-reading a lot of Robert Rankin, because I just the
          love the sheer bizarreness of them – I was of course a Spike Milligan
          fan to begin with - and with titles such as `Sex and Drugs and
          Sausage Rolls', `The Brentford Chainstore Massacre' and `Fandom of
          the Operator', how can you go wrong?

          Slonshall

          BTBG

          <snip>