Re: Aiken Redux

  • newbobble
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28 5:58 AM
      Well my own research turned up the first complete reference, i.e. two
      names instead of one in the ''The Brownie Of Blednoch'' by William
      Nicholson (the Bard of Galway) which was first published in the
      Dumfries Magazine in 1825.

      A good reproduction of which can be found here:

      http://www.bladnoch.co.uk/aikendrumpoem.htm

      Before that the name aikendrum, all one word, as you've noted is called
      out as an exultation in "Will Ye Go to Sheriffmuir" which was written
      in 1715, which has led to some speculation that this was a Jocobite
      song.

      There are cultural references before this time, but sadly none that I
      could find in print but elusions to children's rhymes `known' before
      this time abound.

      As to the derivation of the name, it is interesting to note that a
      Canadian version of this poem, a country well settled by those of a
      Celtic heritage, use the name Akin Drum, or A Kin of Drume, in some of
      their oral traditions, but I regret I'm not that much of a linguist or
      an historian to find any definitive printed citation.

      Perhaps one of Canadian cousins can provide better references - good
      luck.

      Bob

      --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "alixnc" <alixnc@...> wrote:

      > OK, I give up. I am stymied. Can anyone find a verifiable primary
      > reference to Aiken Drum prior to the works of Sir Walter Scott (aka
      > Dougal) and his protege James Hogg (aka the Ettrick Shepherd)? Given
      > the highly satiric reference (brief but a zinger of the first water)
      > in 'The Antiquary', and the highly satiric nature of the novel entire,
      > it appears likelier than ever than Aiken Drum is, in fact, a highly
      > puckish outright invention of Scott and Hogg. And BTW, can anyone
      > recommend a first rate annotated edition of the novel and/or Eliot's
      > 'Four Quartets'? Also, for anyone still interested in Teilhard, his
      > "Science and Christ' contains what is recommended as the best concise
      > summary of his theology/science synthesis.
      > Still persisting,
      > alix

    • newbobble
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28 6:17 AM
        P.S. sorry for the abysmal typos, my darn boss keeps expecting me to
        work instead of browse the net - unconscionable behaviour if you ask
        me!!!

        -- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "newbobble" <me@...> wrote:

        > Well my own research turned up the first complete reference, i.e.
        two
        > names instead of one in the ''The Brownie Of Blednoch'' by William
        > Nicholson (the Bard of Galway) which was first published in the
        > Dumfries Magazine in 1825.
        >
        > A good reproduction of which can be found here:
        >
        > http://www.bladnoch.co.uk/aikendrumpoem.htm
        >
        > Before that the name aikendrum, all one word, as you've noted is
        called
        > out as an exultation in "Will Ye Go to Sheriffmuir" which was
        written
        > in 1715, which has led to some speculation that this was a Jocobite
        > song.
        >
        > There are cultural references before this time, but sadly none that
        > could find in print but elusions to children's rhymes `known'
        before
        > this time abound.
        >
        > As to the derivation of the name, it is interesting to note that a
        > Canadian version of this poem, a country well settled by those of a
        > Celtic heritage, use the name Akin Drum, or A Kin of Drume, in
        some of
        > their oral traditions, but I regret I'm not that much of a linguist
        or
        > an historian to find any definitive printed citation.
        >
        > Perhaps one of Canadian cousins can provide better references -
        good
        > luck.
        >
        > Bob
        >
        > --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "alixnc" <alixnc@> wrote:
        > >
        > > OK, I give up. I am stymied. Can anyone find a verifiable primary
        > > reference to Aiken Drum prior to the works of Sir Walter Scott
        (aka
        > > Dougal) and his protege James Hogg (aka the Ettrick Shepherd)?
        Given
        > > the highly satiric reference (brief but a zinger of the first
        water)
        > > in 'The Antiquary', and the highly satiric nature of the novel
        entire,
        > > it appears likelier than ever than Aiken Drum is, in fact, a
        highly
        > > puckish outright invention of Scott and Hogg. And BTW, can anyone
        > > recommend a first rate annotated edition of the novel and/or
        Eliot's
        > > 'Four Quartets'? Also, for anyone still interested in Teilhard,
        his
        > > "Science and Christ' contains what is recommended as the best
        concise
        > > summary of his theology/science synthesis.
        > > Still persisting,
        > > alix

      • alixnc
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 16, 2008
          --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "newbobble" <me@...> wrote:

          > Well my own research turned up the first complete reference, i.e.
          two
          > names instead of one in the ''The Brownie Of Blednoch'' by William
          > Nicholson (the Bard of Galway) which was first published in the
          > Dumfries Magazine in 1825.
          > Before that the name aikendrum, all one word, as you've noted is
          called
          > out as an exultation in "Will Ye Go to Sheriffmuir" which was
          written
          > in 1715, which has led to some speculation that this was a Jocobite
          > song.

          Bob ...

          Belated thanks on the Aiken Drum references ... but I think I recall
          that "Will Ye Go To Sheriffmuir" is in one of the James
          Hogg "collections" and thus highly suspect, since Hogg apparently was
          fond of writing "historical" songs from scratch -- some charming
          stuff, but none too convincing at times. I'm willing -- nay, eager --
          to stand corrected on this if someone can produce a primary source.

          Alix