Aiken Redux

  • alixnc
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2008
      OK, I give up. I am stymied. Can anyone find a verifiable primary
      reference to Aiken Drum prior to the works of Sir Walter Scott (aka
      Dougal) and his protege James Hogg (aka the Ettrick Shepherd)? Given
      the highly satiric reference (brief but a zinger of the first water)
      in 'The Antiquary', and the highly satiric nature of the novel entire,
      it appears likelier than ever than Aiken Drum is, in fact, a highly
      puckish outright invention of Scott and Hogg. And BTW, can anyone
      recommend a first rate annotated edition of the novel and/or Eliot's
      'Four Quartets'? Also, for anyone still interested in Teilhard, his
      "Science and Christ' contains what is recommended as the best concise
      summary of his theology/science synthesis.
      Still persisting,
      alix
    • newbobble
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28 5:58 AM
        Well my own research turned up the first complete reference, i.e. two
        names instead of one in the ''The Brownie Of Blednoch'' by William
        Nicholson (the Bard of Galway) which was first published in the
        Dumfries Magazine in 1825.

        A good reproduction of which can be found here:

        http://www.bladnoch.co.uk/aikendrumpoem.htm

        Before that the name aikendrum, all one word, as you've noted is called
        out as an exultation in "Will Ye Go to Sheriffmuir" which was written
        in 1715, which has led to some speculation that this was a Jocobite
        song.

        There are cultural references before this time, but sadly none that I
        could find in print but elusions to children's rhymes `known' before
        this time abound.

        As to the derivation of the name, it is interesting to note that a
        Canadian version of this poem, a country well settled by those of a
        Celtic heritage, use the name Akin Drum, or A Kin of Drume, in some of
        their oral traditions, but I regret I'm not that much of a linguist or
        an historian to find any definitive printed citation.

        Perhaps one of Canadian cousins can provide better references - good
        luck.

        Bob

        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "alixnc" <alixnc@...> wrote:

        > OK, I give up. I am stymied. Can anyone find a verifiable primary
        > reference to Aiken Drum prior to the works of Sir Walter Scott (aka
        > Dougal) and his protege James Hogg (aka the Ettrick Shepherd)? Given
        > the highly satiric reference (brief but a zinger of the first water)
        > in 'The Antiquary', and the highly satiric nature of the novel entire,
        > it appears likelier than ever than Aiken Drum is, in fact, a highly
        > puckish outright invention of Scott and Hogg. And BTW, can anyone
        > recommend a first rate annotated edition of the novel and/or Eliot's
        > 'Four Quartets'? Also, for anyone still interested in Teilhard, his
        > "Science and Christ' contains what is recommended as the best concise
        > summary of his theology/science synthesis.
        > Still persisting,
        > alix

      • newbobble
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28 6:17 AM
          P.S. sorry for the abysmal typos, my darn boss keeps expecting me to
          work instead of browse the net - unconscionable behaviour if you ask
          me!!!

          -- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "newbobble" <me@...> wrote:

          > Well my own research turned up the first complete reference, i.e.
          two
          > names instead of one in the ''The Brownie Of Blednoch'' by William
          > Nicholson (the Bard of Galway) which was first published in the
          > Dumfries Magazine in 1825.
          >
          > A good reproduction of which can be found here:
          >
          > http://www.bladnoch.co.uk/aikendrumpoem.htm
          >
          > Before that the name aikendrum, all one word, as you've noted is
          called
          > out as an exultation in "Will Ye Go to Sheriffmuir" which was
          written
          > in 1715, which has led to some speculation that this was a Jocobite
          > song.
          >
          > There are cultural references before this time, but sadly none that
          > could find in print but elusions to children's rhymes `known'
          before
          > this time abound.
          >
          > As to the derivation of the name, it is interesting to note that a
          > Canadian version of this poem, a country well settled by those of a
          > Celtic heritage, use the name Akin Drum, or A Kin of Drume, in
          some of
          > their oral traditions, but I regret I'm not that much of a linguist
          or
          > an historian to find any definitive printed citation.
          >
          > Perhaps one of Canadian cousins can provide better references -
          good
          > luck.
          >
          > Bob
          >
          > --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "alixnc" <alixnc@> wrote:
          > >
          > > OK, I give up. I am stymied. Can anyone find a verifiable primary
          > > reference to Aiken Drum prior to the works of Sir Walter Scott
          (aka
          > > Dougal) and his protege James Hogg (aka the Ettrick Shepherd)?
          Given
          > > the highly satiric reference (brief but a zinger of the first
          water)
          > > in 'The Antiquary', and the highly satiric nature of the novel
          entire,
          > > it appears likelier than ever than Aiken Drum is, in fact, a
          highly
          > > puckish outright invention of Scott and Hogg. And BTW, can anyone
          > > recommend a first rate annotated edition of the novel and/or
          Eliot's
          > > 'Four Quartets'? Also, for anyone still interested in Teilhard,
          his
          > > "Science and Christ' contains what is recommended as the best
          concise
          > > summary of his theology/science synthesis.
          > > Still persisting,
          > > alix

        • alixnc
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 16, 2008
            --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "newbobble" <me@...> wrote:

            > Well my own research turned up the first complete reference, i.e.
            two
            > names instead of one in the ''The Brownie Of Blednoch'' by William
            > Nicholson (the Bard of Galway) which was first published in the
            > Dumfries Magazine in 1825.
            > Before that the name aikendrum, all one word, as you've noted is
            called
            > out as an exultation in "Will Ye Go to Sheriffmuir" which was
            written
            > in 1715, which has led to some speculation that this was a Jocobite
            > song.

            Bob ...

            Belated thanks on the Aiken Drum references ... but I think I recall
            that "Will Ye Go To Sheriffmuir" is in one of the James
            Hogg "collections" and thus highly suspect, since Hogg apparently was
            fond of writing "historical" songs from scratch -- some charming
            stuff, but none too convincing at times. I'm willing -- nay, eager --
            to stand corrected on this if someone can produce a primary source.

            Alix