Re: Who is Fury?

  • mightyogbo
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 22, 2007
      --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Michael Roser <michelle_rose3@...> wrote:

      > Hello again:
      > Weeelll, perhaps that theory might not be too far
      > off, but revisit the 'scene of the crime' and you'll
      > note that Fury was already present and quite well
      > integrated as a free-roving entity at the bedside
      > vigil as Victor deteriorated and finally died.

      I agree the Carbuncle theory was a bit of a stretch ;-)
      But damned if its not one of the most infuriating
      loose ends that JM left us - with a small hint that
      The Carbuncle has some sort of relationship to
      Cul/Felice in The Room without Doors. We could
      speculate forever.

      Almost as much as the nature of Fury!

      Overall I'll pull out my Occam's Razor and go for
      the psychological explanation.

      -- Stephen
    • mightyogbo
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 22, 2007
        Well, I'm not that great in putting actors to characters,
        I can never remember actor's names.

        But if we're searching for someone to look like Aiken
        Drum - I'm pretty sure the portrait in this wikipedia page

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosimo_I_de%27_Medici

        of Cosimo de Medici is the one that Mercy thought
        looked very much like Aiken, but couldn't quite recall until
        a little redact from Cull. So we need a crazy young Scottish
        actor who looks a little like Cosimo - and with the personality
        of David Tennant (the current Doctor Who.)

        And of course, the only person who could play Felice would be
        Paris Hilton - she's bad and mad enough these days ;-)
        Getting too old though (hehehe)</irony>

        Naturally we would need all the blond, blue-eyed basketballers
        in the world for the Tanu, and Jack Nicholson could play the
        King of the Howlers without the illusiory body ...

        -- Stephen

        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Fitzpatrick" <paulfitz2000@...>
        wrote:

        > Hey Nicolette,
        > I must check that out,might be nice to put a face to Marc,so on that
        > note lets have some nominations from the acting world on the most
        > likely to play the roles of Marc and the other main characters.This
        > should see the forum busy for a while,dont you think!
        > Paul.
      • marcelplume
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 20, 2007
          Paul

          For what is't worth (which may not be worth anything.)
          I think Dennis subsumed part of Victor. Because he took on Victors pain and suffering. As
          he stated in Intervention in his "confession" to Jared. He could/should have stopped Vic
          from terrorising his siblings and killing sisters.

          Dennis was guilty about doing nothing to save his siblings (including Victors and his own
          abuse) from Don (and Victors) torments.

          I think he took on Victors "internal" demons to assuage his own guilt. Causing the
          appearance of Fury as a distinct personality. I think Fury was always there in Dennis. There
          was just no evil intent in Fury until Victors death/subsumption. Fury was up till that point
          a protection mechanism for Dennis to cope with his paternal abuser

          What do you think?

          Marcel

          Just an opinion.

          wrote:

          > High thoughts all,
          > Sorry to re-hash this old old argument,but I just spotted something
          > while reading Jack the Bodiless again.During the Ball to celebrate the
          > Human Enfranchisement to the Mileu,Atoning Unifex said that 'I have
          > nothing to do with Victor Remillard or his creatures'
          > It immediately brought me back to the time of the last Good Friday
          > bedside vigil when Victor died,you may remember that Denis sat beside
          > the bed with his mind 'wide open',so here is my question..........
          > Did Victor perhaps subsume Denis?or at least inhabit part of Denis's
          > mind and become Fury.
          > Comments please(getting ready for a good argument!!!).
          > Paul.

        • Michael Roser
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 20, 2007
            High Thoughts All:
            Where is Alexis Manion when you really need him?
            Personally, I tend to agree with you, Marcel. There
            certainly was a huge dynamic field event that occurred
            when Victor finally died, the evil bastard. And it's
            reasonable to suppose that it served as a trigger, a
            catalyst or a seed crystal for the even more evil
            phenomenon that called itself Fury. And you're dead
            right in saying that the potential lurked always
            within Denis due to the abuse he suffered at the hands
            of Don.
            So it's a homegrown psychosis/schizophrenia and
            not one imported from without. It might have been
            helped a little with Victor's shade or soul or atman
            trying to grab onto something as it slipped through
            the lattices into the All (the death of Leon and the
            two other sisters, f'rinstance.) but I believe I see
            Manion nodding in agreement when I say that Victor
            never subsumed Denis nor was Fury a product of
            anyone's mind except Denis's. As for Denis subsuming
            part of Victor...! Egad, the mind boggles and not in a
            nice way, either.
            Still, it's a lovely problem in applied field
            dynamics and to a meta: beautifully colored and rich
            with nuance, sans doute.
            ======>Luv, Michelle

            Need a vacation? Get great deals
            to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
            http://travel.yahoo.com/
          • nick ramsay
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 23, 2007
              Thank heavens.
              I thought I was taking it far too seriously.

              Would we really want to see a movie? I don't think I
              would.

              Meow

              Marcel

              Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint? Visit Yahoo! For Good http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/environment.html
            • Padraig Timmins
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 24, 2007
                Blimey I would!

                Don't get me wrong, I'm a pureist an would hate things to be messed with.  And Directors are far too arrogant, thinking they know best, not to mes with stuff, and hiding behind the feble excuse of "it can't be done like that on film", and other such rubbish.  But I would LOVE to see the Pliocene particularly on film.  I think it lends itself to film more that the Milieu series.

                However, I would run with mainly unknowns, and kep well known actors to a minimum, reserving them for important but brief roles.

                Cheers

                Padster

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 25, 2007
                  I think the 2 candidates for movies would be:

                  - doing The Many Coloured Land & The Golden Torc as one film
                  - doing Intervention as a stand-alone movie

                  Otherwise - given what can be done on TV today, and with HDTV,
                  then a long running set of TV series might be good.

                  Whichever way - I couldn't wait to see Felice blow Gibraltar ;-)

                  -- Stephen

                  --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Padraig Timmins" <timmypaddins@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Blimey I would!
                  >
                  > Don't get me wrong, I'm a pureist an would hate things to be messed with.
                  > And Directors are far too arrogant, thinking they know best, not to mes with
                  > stuff, and hiding behind the feble excuse of "it can't be done like that on
                  > film", and other such rubbish. But I would LOVE to see the Pliocene
                  > particularly on film. I think it lends itself to film more that the Milieu
                  > series.
                  >
                  > However, I would run with mainly unknowns, and kep well known actors to a
                  > minimum, reserving them for important but brief roles.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  >

                  > Padster
                  >

                  > On 9/23/07, nick ramsay <marcelplume@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thank heavens.
                  > > I thought I was taking it far too seriously.
                  > >
                  > > Would we really want to see a movie? I don't think I
                  > > would.
                  > >
                  > > Meow
                  > >
                  > > Marcel
                • nick ramsay
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007
                    Oh ok. If someone is going to do a film/TV series. You
                    might as well do it with a couple of BIG names.

                    I read Intervention first. Then I read Jack the
                    bodiless. While I was reading JTB and DM, I got thru
                    Golden torc etc. Just as I finished Adversary.
                    Magnificat came out. I think purely by chance I got
                    the best of the series.
                    A quick introduction to the "world" with Intervention.
                    Then the slow unfolding of the rise and fall of Marc
                    (And subsequent rise again). Fantastic.

                    If your going to do a Series/film. Do it in that
                    order.

                    Hell if your going to do the lot. Do the Saga of the
                    exiles as a interwoven seperate series within the
                    Mileu series.

                    Meow

                    --- mightyogbo <ogbo@...> wrote:

                    > I think the 2 candidates for movies would be:
                    >
                    > - doing The Many Coloured Land & The Golden Torc as
                    > one film
                    > - doing Intervention as a stand-alone movie
                    >
                    > Otherwise - given what can be done on TV today, and
                    > with HDTV,
                    > then a long running set of TV series might be good.
                    >
                    > Whichever way - I couldn't wait to see Felice blow
                    > Gibraltar ;-)
                    >
                    > -- Stephen
                    >
                    > --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Padraig
                    > Timmins" <timmypaddins@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Blimey I would!
                    > >
                    > > Don't get me wrong, I'm a pureist an would hate
                    > things to be messed with.
                    > > And Directors are far too arrogant, thinking they
                    > know best, not to mes with
                    > > stuff, and hiding behind the feble excuse of "it
                    > can't be done like that on
                    > > film", and other such rubbish. But I would LOVE
                    > to see the Pliocene
                    > > particularly on film. I think it lends itself to
                    > film more that the Milieu
                    > > series.
                    > >
                    > > However, I would run with mainly unknowns, and kep
                    > well known actors to a
                    > > minimum, reserving them for important but brief
                    > roles.
                    > >
                    > > Cheers
                    > >

                    > > Padster
                    > >

                    > > On 9/23/07, nick ramsay <marcelplume@...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Thank heavens.
                    > > > I thought I was taking it far too seriously.
                    > > >
                    > > > Would we really want to see a movie? I don't
                    > think I
                    > > > would.
                    > > >
                    > > > Meow
                    > > >
                    > > > Marcel

                    now.
                    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/
                  • nick ramsay
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007

                      --- mightyogbo <ogbo@...> wrote:

                      > I think the 2 candidates for movies would be:
                      >
                      > - doing The Many Coloured Land & The Golden Torc as
                      > one film
                      > - doing Intervention as a stand-alone movie
                      >
                      > Otherwise - given what can be done on TV today, and
                      > with HDTV,
                      > then a long running set of TV series might be good.
                      >
                      > Whichever way - I couldn't wait to see Felice blow
                      > Gibraltar ;-)
                      >
                      > -- Stephen
                      >
                      > --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Padraig
                      > Timmins" <timmypaddins@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Blimey I would!
                      > >
                      > > Don't get me wrong, I'm a pureist an would hate
                      > things to be messed with.
                      > > And Directors are far too arrogant, thinking they
                      > know best, not to mes with
                      > > stuff, and hiding behind the feble excuse of "it
                      > can't be done like that on
                      > > film", and other such rubbish. But I would LOVE
                      > to see the Pliocene
                      > > particularly on film. I think it lends itself to
                      > film more that the Milieu
                      > > series.
                      > >
                      > > However, I would run with mainly unknowns, and kep
                      > well known actors to a
                      > > minimum, reserving them for important but brief
                      > roles.
                      > >
                      > > Cheers
                      > >

                      > > Padster
                      > >

                      > > On 9/23/07, nick ramsay <marcelplume@...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Thank heavens.
                      > > > I thought I was taking it far too seriously.
                      > > >
                      > > > Would we really want to see a movie? I don't
                      > think I
                      > > > would.
                      > > >
                      > > > Meow
                      > > >
                      > > > Marcel

                      Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint? Visit Yahoo! For Good http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/environment.html
                    • aneecek
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007
                        No way! The movies must be done in order! First must come the
                        Pliocene saga and then the modern books starting with surveillance
                        and ending with Magnificat. The back-front-back story concept is so
                        cool. I read the books in order and remember impatiently waiting for
                        the next to come out. And since have read the entire series 10 or
                        more times. As far as casting goes I would just be thrilled to see
                        my favorite books made into a movie. Is anyone here Dune fans? They
                        did a great job with the first 3 Dune books on the sci-fi channel
                        (except the physical look casting of Paul). I never understood why
                        Julian Mays books weren't as popular. Maybe there's hope and someday
                        we will see a mini-series or whatever made. I sure hope so. My 11
                        year old is just finishing up the Dune series and I think I'll let
                        him read my precious dog-eared Julian may books. I made a sci-fi fan
                        of him; he's doing his 6th grade book report on Dune! The spice must
                        flow! Maybe the next book report will be on the many colored land!
                        Hi to everybody! Aneece

                        - In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, nick ramsay
                        <marcelplume@...> wrote:

                        > Oh ok. If someone is going to do a film/TV series. You
                        > might as well do it with a couple of BIG names.
                        >
                        > I read Intervention first. Then I read Jack the
                        > bodiless. While I was reading JTB and DM, I got thru
                        > Golden torc etc. Just as I finished Adversary.
                        > Magnificat came out. I think purely by chance I got
                        > the best of the series.
                        > A quick introduction to the "world" with Intervention.
                        > Then the slow unfolding of the rise and fall of Marc
                        > (And subsequent rise again). Fantastic.
                        >
                        > If your going to do a Series/film. Do it in that
                        > order.
                        >
                        > Hell if your going to do the lot. Do the Saga of the
                        > exiles as a interwoven seperate series within the
                        > Mileu series.
                        >

                        > Meow
                        >
                        > --- mightyogbo <ogbo@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I think the 2 candidates for movies would be:
                        > >
                        > > - doing The Many Coloured Land & The Golden Torc as
                        > > one film
                        > > - doing Intervention as a stand-alone movie
                        > >
                        > > Otherwise - given what can be done on TV today, and
                        > > with HDTV,
                        > > then a long running set of TV series might be good.
                        > >
                        > > Whichever way - I couldn't wait to see Felice blow
                        > > Gibraltar ;-)
                        > >
                        > > -- Stephen
                        > >
                        > > --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Padraig
                        > > Timmins" <timmypaddins@>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Blimey I would!
                        > > >
                        > > > Don't get me wrong, I'm a pureist an would hate
                        > > things to be messed with.
                        > > > And Directors are far too arrogant, thinking they
                        > > know best, not to mes with
                        > > > stuff, and hiding behind the feble excuse of "it
                        > > can't be done like that on
                        > > > film", and other such rubbish. But I would LOVE
                        > > to see the Pliocene
                        > > > particularly on film. I think it lends itself to
                        > > film more that the Milieu
                        > > > series.
                        > > >
                        > > > However, I would run with mainly unknowns, and kep
                        > > well known actors to a
                        > > > minimum, reserving them for important but brief
                        > > roles.
                        > > >
                        > > > Cheers
                        > > >

                        > > > Padster

                        > > think I

                        > Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint? Visit Yahoo! For
                        Good http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/environment.html

                      • Steve Collier
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 28, 2007
                          Nope, NO WAY. Name one book that was worth reading which was made into anevn acceptable movie. Directors are the same as editor and as HeinLein once described editors: "Editors only like the soup once they've P1$$ed in it."

                          Besides how many people are smart enough to understand what May is trying to accomplish?

                          <marcelplume@ ...> wrote:

                          > Oh ok. If someone is going to do a film/TV series. You
                          > might as well do it with a couple of BIG names.
                          >
                          > I read Intervention first. Then I read Jack the
                          > bodiless. While I was reading JTB and DM, I got thru
                          > Golden torc etc. Just as I finished Adversary.
                          > Magnificat came out. I think purely by chance I got
                          > the best of the series.
                          > A quick introduction to the "world" with Intervention.
                          > Then the slow unfolding of the rise and fall of Marc
                          > (And subsequent rise again). Fantastic.
                          >
                          > If your going to do a Series/film. Do it in that
                          > order.
                          >
                          > Hell if your going to do the lot. Do the Saga of the
                          > exiles as a interwoven seperate series within the
                          > Mileu series.
                          >

                          > Meow
                          >
                          > --- mightyogbo <ogbo@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > I think the 2 candidates for movies would be:
                          > >
                          > > - doing The Many Coloured Land & The Golden Torc as
                          > > one film
                          > > - doing Intervention as a stand-alone movie
                          > >
                          > > Otherwise - given what can be done on TV today, and
                          > > with HDTV,
                          > > then a long running set of TV series might be good.
                          > >
                          > > Whichever way - I couldn't wait to see Felice blow
                          > > Gibraltar ;-)
                          > >
                          > > -- Stephen
                          > >
                          > > --- In Julian-May-discuss@ yahoogroups. com, "Padraig
                          > > Timmins" <timmypaddins@ >
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Blimey I would!
                          > > >
                          > > > Don't get me wrong, I'm a pureist an would hate
                          > > things to be messed with.
                          > > > And Directors are far too arrogant, thinking they
                          > > know best, not to mes with
                          > > > stuff, and hiding behind the feble excuse of "it
                          > > can't be done like that on
                          > > > film", and other such rubbish. But I would LOVE
                          > > to see the Pliocene
                          > > > particularly on film. I think it lends itself to
                          > > film more that the Milieu
                          > > > series.
                          > > >
                          > > > However, I would run with mainly unknowns, and kep
                          > > well known actors to a
                          > > > minimum, reserving them for important but brief
                          > > roles.
                          > > >
                          > > > Cheers
                          > > >

                          > > > Padster

                          > > think I

                          > Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint? Visit Yahoo! For
                          Good http://uk.promotion s.yahoo.com/ forgood/environm ent.html

                          Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                        • nick ramsay
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 29, 2007
                            Intervention is the start isn't it? or is there one?

                            Discuss

                            meow

                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 29, 2007
                              Certainly by book releases, The Saga of the Exiles comes first, then
                              Intervention the linking tale, and finally the Galactic Milieu trilogy.

                              And I agree with aneecek that the reverse order of the stories always
                              fascinated me. The only problem that I found with this is that JM
                              had to add a lot of explanation at the start of The Many Coloured
                              Land re the Milieu which I think bogged the start down a little.
                              I know it turned some readers (friends of mine) off the series.
                              I'd say: Stick with it - but they never did. Their loss.

                              The back-to-front order also gives us the delicious plot point in
                              Intervention of the Family Ghost being Marc - although I'm sure most
                              of us had guessed it - and obviously being 6 million years old. But you
                              only get this frission when you've already read The Saga - and know
                              what Marc & Elizabeth did at the end.

                              On the other hand - as a series of movies for the great unwashed masses,
                              starting with Intervention might be better as it links straight into our time
                              and would be more accessible. Then move onto the Galactic Milieu stories,
                              but start to drop in little things, like Rogi kicking back with a drink & a cat
                              and watching Milieu Network News:

                              "Tonight on MNN, the amazing time portal discovery of Prof. Guderian ..."

                              and then later other news reports or discussions re the use of it as Exile,
                              and what might be on the other side.

                              Of the groups of children who were spontaneously becoming cooadunate
                              as discussed (I think) in Magnificat, one of them could be a young Elizabeth
                              Orme. Later duing the climax as we see the reaction in the noosphere to
                              the titanic psychic struggle for the future of the Milieu, young Elizabeth's
                              horror could be one of the reaction shots.

                              Then of course we see the Rebels disappearing through the Portal - and
                              finally we're ready to start with the Saga ... 30 years later ...

                              -- Stephen

                              --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, nick ramsay <marcelplume@...> wrote:

                              > Intervention is the start isn't it? or is there one?
                              >
                              > Discuss
                              >
                              > meow
                            • Imhilien
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 30, 2007

                                With the success of TV shows like 'Heroes', there would certainly be
                                some interest I'm sure from the great unwashed if 'Intervention' was
                                made. :-)

                                ['Milieu Network News made me laugh!]

                                Since Elizabeth and her first husband were both redactors (I'm
                                pretty sure he was), I've sometimes wondered if they chose to focus
                                on the healing aspect of their gifts (as well as being teachers), as
                                their way of personally dealing with trauma felt after the
                                Rebellion...

                                You could say that the very start of it all is when some Seer in the
                                Duat Galaxy a long time before the 'Exile' books makes a prophecy
                                about The NightFall War. Earth is still in a fairly primitive stage,
                                but already people like Felice and Marc Remillard have made
                                ominous 'blips' on someones radar.

                                --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "mightyogbo" <ogbo@...>