Who is Fury?

  • Paul Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 21 6:15 AM
      High thoughts all,
      Sorry to re-hash this old old argument,but I just spotted something
      while reading Jack the Bodiless again.During the Ball to celebrate the
      Human Enfranchisement to the Mileu,Atoning Unifex said that 'I have
      nothing to do with Victor Remillard or his creatures'
      It immediately brought me back to the time of the last Good Friday
      bedside vigil when Victor died,you may remember that Denis sat beside
      the bed with his mind 'wide open',so here is my question..........
      Did Victor perhaps subsume Denis?or at least inhabit part of Denis's
      mind and become Fury.
      Comments please(getting ready for a good argument!!!).
      Paul.
    • Mischa Welsh
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 21 10:29 AM
        I've always assumed Fury was 'sort of' Victor. Otherwise what was the
        point of old Vic in the Narrative?
      • mightyogbo
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 21 10:55 PM
          Hi there Paul,

          I have 2 theories on this - the simple one and ridiculously complex/speculative one.

          The simple one is psychological in nature. Due to Denis' molestation at the hands of his
          father his mind was split into 2 personalities, but until Victor's death the Fury personality
          never surfaced. With the last of the "evil" side of the family gone, this triggered some sort
          of psychological reaction in Denis which may have lead to Fury being freed.

          The 2nd theory goes like this (and is probably total rubbish ;-) - that Fury was an aspect
          of Felice/Culluket, transmitted through the Great Carbuncle when Rogi/Unifex took Victor
          down for good just prior to Intervention.

          When Victor was close to death it looked about for another host - and found the damage
          to Denis' personality - joined with the damaged part - and thus Fury was born - inevitably.

          Unifex would have allowed this because, well, bloody temporal anomolies, it had already
          happened and that unleashing Fury was actually a necessity to the eventual maturation of
          the Galactic Mind - post rebellion.

          This of course could be a load of old twaddle - but a fun speculation nonetheless.

          -- Stephen

          --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Fitzpatrick" <paulfitz2000@...>
          wrote:

          > High thoughts all,
          > Sorry to re-hash this old old argument,but I just spotted something
          > while reading Jack the Bodiless again.During the Ball to celebrate the
          > Human Enfranchisement to the Mileu,Atoning Unifex said that 'I have
          > nothing to do with Victor Remillard or his creatures'
          > It immediately brought me back to the time of the last Good Friday
          > bedside vigil when Victor died,you may remember that Denis sat beside
          > the bed with his mind 'wide open',so here is my question..........
          > Did Victor perhaps subsume Denis?or at least inhabit part of Denis's
          > mind and become Fury.
          > Comments please(getting ready for a good argument!!!).
          > Paul.

        • Michael Roser
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 22 2:50 AM
            Hello again:
            Weeelll, perhaps that theory might not be too far
            off, but revisit the 'scene of the crime' and you'll
            note that Fury was already present and quite well
            integrated as a free-roving entity at the bedside
            vigil as Victor deteriorated and finally died. Recall
            that Rogi communicated with Fury for a brief moment
            and it told him: "I am born. Inevitably." Hmm, kind of
            ambiguous, but its existence at that time is pretty
            unambiguous. So Victor's death, by extension, had
            nothing to do with Fury's existence, per se, but it
            damn sure had something to do with the subornation of
            the future Hydra elements.
            A pretty problem. No doubt Alexis Manion could
            have done a dynamic field analysis of the event for us
            and told us exactly happened but I think JM wanted us
            to speculate endlessly of Fury's true origins. I doubt
            if the Carbuncle had anything to do with it nor the
            room without doors buried somewhere in the vicinty of
            the Rio Genil in Spain. (Anyone ever look at the
            geography of that region?) The Carbuncle was a Lylmik
            device (probably a semi-sentient recorder and
            signaling device with non-lethal defenses, completely
            unlike the one that Jack constructed except for power
            supply) and thus would not contain malefic elements.
            Marc/Atoning Unifex gave the Carbuncle to Rogi and I'd
            bet my bottom dollar the Angel of the Abyss would not
            further screw up his karma by handing Rogi a
            boobytrap. And I think the duality of Felice and
            Culluket would be too concerned with self-maintenance
            to exit the room without doors right into solid
            bedrock.
            No, I think part of the first theory is correct:
            Fury was generated through a schism in Denis's mind
            caused by sexual abuse at the hands of Don. It might
            have remained quiescent until the death of Victor
            caused it to tip its hand to Rogi. Maybe. Possibly. I
            wouldn't make book on it. I kinda suspect it started
            hovering around the Remillard family starting out
            right around the time Denis wrote "Metapsychology",
            his first big bestseller on metapsychic abilities.
            It would explain some of the quirks and odd
            synchronicities that seemed to plague them as Denis
            gathered his Coterie to himself. Might even be why
            Lucille initially rejected him, who knows? Of course,
            the Remillard men always seemed to have to overwhelm
            their women in order to gain acceptance. Even poor old
            Uncle Rogi.
            Nice analysis, though, Stephen. Not twaddle. I'd
            like to know the status of that little red light under
            the river as well; that "dark tenebros". Sheesh, what
            an evocative line! JM shoulda got a Hugo just for that
            scene alone.
            Love in the light of the Goddess to all:
            Michelle

          • Imhilien
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 22 2:52 AM

              My two cents is that the dying Victor did something to trigger the
              Fury-potential he saw lurking in Denis' mind, his last malicious
              action against the brother he probably saw as a 'goody-goody'.

              Since Fury killed its victims the same way Victor killed Shannon (one
              of the creepiest scenes in my opinion), perhaps there was some
              knowledge transfer there, or perhaps a bit of Victor became part of
              Fury.

              That's just my thoughts anyway.

              On a lighter note, when I recently saw 'Harry Potter and the Order of
              the Phoenix', I thought that one of the Death Eaters in the final
              battle looked like Marc with a beard...

              High Thoughts,

              - Nicolette [Mod Mom #2] :-)

              <paulfitz2000@...> wrote:

              > High thoughts all,
              > Sorry to re-hash this old old argument,but I just spotted something
              > while reading Jack the Bodiless again.During the Ball to celebrate
              the
              > Human Enfranchisement to the Mileu,Atoning Unifex said that 'I have
              > nothing to do with Victor Remillard or his creatures'
              > It immediately brought me back to the time of the last Good Friday
              > bedside vigil when Victor died,you may remember that Denis sat
              beside
              > the bed with his mind 'wide open',so here is my question..........
              > Did Victor perhaps subsume Denis?or at least inhabit part of Denis's
              > mind and become Fury.
              > Comments please(getting ready for a good argument!!!).
              > Paul.

            • Paul Fitzpatrick
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 22 6:52 AM
                Hey Nicolette,
                I must check that out,might be nice to put a face to Marc,so on that
                note lets have some nominations from the acting world on the most
                likely to play the roles of Marc and the other main characters.This
                should see the forum busy for a while,dont you think!
                Paul.
                --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Imhilien" <nicolel@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi there,
                >
                > My two cents is that the dying Victor did something to trigger the
                > Fury-potential he saw lurking in Denis' mind, his last malicious
                > action against the brother he probably saw as a 'goody-goody'.
                >
                > Since Fury killed its victims the same way Victor killed Shannon
                (one
                > of the creepiest scenes in my opinion), perhaps there was some
                > knowledge transfer there, or perhaps a bit of Victor became part of
                > Fury.
                >
                > That's just my thoughts anyway.
                >
                > On a lighter note, when I recently saw 'Harry Potter and the Order
                of
                > the Phoenix', I thought that one of the Death Eaters in the final
                > battle looked like Marc with a beard...
                >
                > High Thoughts,
                >
                > - Nicolette [Mod Mom #2] :-)
                >

                > --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Fitzpatrick"
                > <paulfitz2000@> wrote:
                > >
                > > High thoughts all,
                > > Sorry to re-hash this old old argument,but I just spotted
                something
                > > while reading Jack the Bodiless again.During the Ball to
                celebrate
                > the
                > > Human Enfranchisement to the Mileu,Atoning Unifex said that 'I
                have
                > > nothing to do with Victor Remillard or his creatures'
                > > It immediately brought me back to the time of the last Good
                Friday
                > > bedside vigil when Victor died,you may remember that Denis sat
                > beside
                > > the bed with his mind 'wide open',so here is my question..........
                > > Did Victor perhaps subsume Denis?or at least inhabit part of
                Denis's
                > > mind and become Fury.
                > > Comments please(getting ready for a good argument!!!).
                > > Paul.

              • mightyogbo
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 22 11:23 PM
                  --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Michael Roser <michelle_rose3@...> wrote:

                  > Hello again:
                  > Weeelll, perhaps that theory might not be too far
                  > off, but revisit the 'scene of the crime' and you'll
                  > note that Fury was already present and quite well
                  > integrated as a free-roving entity at the bedside
                  > vigil as Victor deteriorated and finally died.

                  I agree the Carbuncle theory was a bit of a stretch ;-)
                  But damned if its not one of the most infuriating
                  loose ends that JM left us - with a small hint that
                  The Carbuncle has some sort of relationship to
                  Cul/Felice in The Room without Doors. We could
                  speculate forever.

                  Almost as much as the nature of Fury!

                  Overall I'll pull out my Occam's Razor and go for
                  the psychological explanation.

                  -- Stephen
                • mightyogbo
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 22 11:48 PM
                    Well, I'm not that great in putting actors to characters,
                    I can never remember actor's names.

                    But if we're searching for someone to look like Aiken
                    Drum - I'm pretty sure the portrait in this wikipedia page

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosimo_I_de%27_Medici

                    of Cosimo de Medici is the one that Mercy thought
                    looked very much like Aiken, but couldn't quite recall until
                    a little redact from Cull. So we need a crazy young Scottish
                    actor who looks a little like Cosimo - and with the personality
                    of David Tennant (the current Doctor Who.)

                    And of course, the only person who could play Felice would be
                    Paris Hilton - she's bad and mad enough these days ;-)
                    Getting too old though (hehehe)</irony>

                    Naturally we would need all the blond, blue-eyed basketballers
                    in the world for the Tanu, and Jack Nicholson could play the
                    King of the Howlers without the illusiory body ...

                    wrote:

                    > Hey Nicolette,
                    > I must check that out,might be nice to put a face to Marc,so on that
                    > note lets have some nominations from the acting world on the most
                    > likely to play the roles of Marc and the other main characters.This
                    > should see the forum busy for a while,dont you think!
                    > Paul.
                  • marcelplume
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 20, 2007
                      Paul

                      For what is't worth (which may not be worth anything.)
                      I think Dennis subsumed part of Victor. Because he took on Victors pain and suffering. As
                      he stated in Intervention in his "confession" to Jared. He could/should have stopped Vic
                      from terrorising his siblings and killing sisters.

                      Dennis was guilty about doing nothing to save his siblings (including Victors and his own
                      abuse) from Don (and Victors) torments.

                      I think he took on Victors "internal" demons to assuage his own guilt. Causing the
                      appearance of Fury as a distinct personality. I think Fury was always there in Dennis. There
                      was just no evil intent in Fury until Victors death/subsumption. Fury was up till that point
                      a protection mechanism for Dennis to cope with his paternal abuser

                      What do you think?

                      Marcel

                      Just an opinion.

                      wrote:

                      > High thoughts all,
                      > Sorry to re-hash this old old argument,but I just spotted something
                      > while reading Jack the Bodiless again.During the Ball to celebrate the
                      > Human Enfranchisement to the Mileu,Atoning Unifex said that 'I have
                      > nothing to do with Victor Remillard or his creatures'
                      > It immediately brought me back to the time of the last Good Friday
                      > bedside vigil when Victor died,you may remember that Denis sat beside
                      > the bed with his mind 'wide open',so here is my question..........
                      > Did Victor perhaps subsume Denis?or at least inhabit part of Denis's
                      > mind and become Fury.
                      > Comments please(getting ready for a good argument!!!).
                      > Paul.

                    • Michael Roser
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 20, 2007
                        High Thoughts All:
                        Where is Alexis Manion when you really need him?
                        Personally, I tend to agree with you, Marcel. There
                        certainly was a huge dynamic field event that occurred
                        when Victor finally died, the evil bastard. And it's
                        reasonable to suppose that it served as a trigger, a
                        catalyst or a seed crystal for the even more evil
                        phenomenon that called itself Fury. And you're dead
                        right in saying that the potential lurked always
                        within Denis due to the abuse he suffered at the hands
                        of Don.
                        So it's a homegrown psychosis/schizophrenia and
                        not one imported from without. It might have been
                        helped a little with Victor's shade or soul or atman
                        trying to grab onto something as it slipped through
                        the lattices into the All (the death of Leon and the
                        two other sisters, f'rinstance.) but I believe I see
                        Manion nodding in agreement when I say that Victor
                        never subsumed Denis nor was Fury a product of
                        anyone's mind except Denis's. As for Denis subsuming
                        part of Victor...! Egad, the mind boggles and not in a
                        nice way, either.
                        Still, it's a lovely problem in applied field
                        dynamics and to a meta: beautifully colored and rich
                        with nuance, sans doute.
                        ======>Luv, Michelle

                        Need a vacation? Get great deals
                        to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                        http://travel.yahoo.com/
                      • nick ramsay
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 23, 2007
                          Thank heavens.
                          I thought I was taking it far too seriously.

                          Would we really want to see a movie? I don't think I
                          would.

                          Meow

                          Marcel

                          Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint? Visit Yahoo! For Good http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/environment.html
                        • Padraig Timmins
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 24, 2007
                            Blimey I would!

                            Don't get me wrong, I'm a pureist an would hate things to be messed with.  And Directors are far too arrogant, thinking they know best, not to mes with stuff, and hiding behind the feble excuse of "it can't be done like that on film", and other such rubbish.  But I would LOVE to see the Pliocene particularly on film.  I think it lends itself to film more that the Milieu series.

                            However, I would run with mainly unknowns, and kep well known actors to a minimum, reserving them for important but brief roles.

                            Cheers

                            Padster

                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 25, 2007
                              I think the 2 candidates for movies would be:

                              - doing The Many Coloured Land & The Golden Torc as one film
                              - doing Intervention as a stand-alone movie

                              Otherwise - given what can be done on TV today, and with HDTV,
                              then a long running set of TV series might be good.

                              Whichever way - I couldn't wait to see Felice blow Gibraltar ;-)

                              -- Stephen

                              --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Padraig Timmins" <timmypaddins@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Blimey I would!
                              >
                              > Don't get me wrong, I'm a pureist an would hate things to be messed with.
                              > And Directors are far too arrogant, thinking they know best, not to mes with
                              > stuff, and hiding behind the feble excuse of "it can't be done like that on
                              > film", and other such rubbish. But I would LOVE to see the Pliocene
                              > particularly on film. I think it lends itself to film more that the Milieu
                              > series.
                              >
                              > However, I would run with mainly unknowns, and kep well known actors to a
                              > minimum, reserving them for important but brief roles.
                              >
                              > Cheers
                              >

                              > Padster
                              >

                              > On 9/23/07, nick ramsay <marcelplume@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Thank heavens.
                              > > I thought I was taking it far too seriously.
                              > >
                              > > Would we really want to see a movie? I don't think I
                              > > would.
                              > >
                              > > Meow
                              > >
                              > > Marcel
                            • nick ramsay
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007
                                Oh ok. If someone is going to do a film/TV series. You
                                might as well do it with a couple of BIG names.

                                I read Intervention first. Then I read Jack the
                                bodiless. While I was reading JTB and DM, I got thru
                                Golden torc etc. Just as I finished Adversary.
                                Magnificat came out. I think purely by chance I got
                                the best of the series.
                                A quick introduction to the "world" with Intervention.
                                Then the slow unfolding of the rise and fall of Marc
                                (And subsequent rise again). Fantastic.

                                If your going to do a Series/film. Do it in that
                                order.

                                Hell if your going to do the lot. Do the Saga of the
                                exiles as a interwoven seperate series within the
                                Mileu series.

                                Meow

                                --- mightyogbo <ogbo@...> wrote:

                                > I think the 2 candidates for movies would be:
                                >
                                > - doing The Many Coloured Land & The Golden Torc as
                                > one film
                                > - doing Intervention as a stand-alone movie
                                >
                                > Otherwise - given what can be done on TV today, and
                                > with HDTV,
                                > then a long running set of TV series might be good.
                                >
                                > Whichever way - I couldn't wait to see Felice blow
                                > Gibraltar ;-)
                                >
                                > -- Stephen
                                >
                                > --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Padraig
                                > Timmins" <timmypaddins@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Blimey I would!
                                > >
                                > > Don't get me wrong, I'm a pureist an would hate
                                > things to be messed with.
                                > > And Directors are far too arrogant, thinking they
                                > know best, not to mes with
                                > > stuff, and hiding behind the feble excuse of "it
                                > can't be done like that on
                                > > film", and other such rubbish. But I would LOVE
                                > to see the Pliocene
                                > > particularly on film. I think it lends itself to
                                > film more that the Milieu
                                > > series.
                                > >
                                > > However, I would run with mainly unknowns, and kep
                                > well known actors to a
                                > > minimum, reserving them for important but brief
                                > roles.
                                > >
                                > > Cheers
                                > >

                                > > Padster
                                > >

                                > > On 9/23/07, nick ramsay <marcelplume@...> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Thank heavens.
                                > > > I thought I was taking it far too seriously.
                                > > >
                                > > > Would we really want to see a movie? I don't
                                > think I
                                > > > would.
                                > > >
                                > > > Meow
                                > > >
                                > > > Marcel

                                now.
                                http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/
                              • nick ramsay
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007

                                  --- mightyogbo <ogbo@...> wrote:

                                  > I think the 2 candidates for movies would be:
                                  >
                                  > - doing The Many Coloured Land & The Golden Torc as
                                  > one film
                                  > - doing Intervention as a stand-alone movie
                                  >
                                  > Otherwise - given what can be done on TV today, and
                                  > with HDTV,
                                  > then a long running set of TV series might be good.
                                  >
                                  > Whichever way - I couldn't wait to see Felice blow
                                  > Gibraltar ;-)
                                  >
                                  > -- Stephen
                                  >
                                  > --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Padraig
                                  > Timmins" <timmypaddins@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Blimey I would!
                                  > >
                                  > > Don't get me wrong, I'm a pureist an would hate
                                  > things to be messed with.
                                  > > And Directors are far too arrogant, thinking they
                                  > know best, not to mes with
                                  > > stuff, and hiding behind the feble excuse of "it
                                  > can't be done like that on
                                  > > film", and other such rubbish. But I would LOVE
                                  > to see the Pliocene
                                  > > particularly on film. I think it lends itself to
                                  > film more that the Milieu
                                  > > series.
                                  > >
                                  > > However, I would run with mainly unknowns, and kep
                                  > well known actors to a
                                  > > minimum, reserving them for important but brief
                                  > roles.
                                  > >
                                  > > Cheers
                                  > >

                                  > > Padster
                                  > >

                                  > > On 9/23/07, nick ramsay <marcelplume@...> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Thank heavens.
                                  > > > I thought I was taking it far too seriously.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Would we really want to see a movie? I don't
                                  > think I
                                  > > > would.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Meow
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Marcel

                                  Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint? Visit Yahoo! For Good http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/environment.html
                                • aneecek
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007
                                    No way! The movies must be done in order! First must come the
                                    Pliocene saga and then the modern books starting with surveillance
                                    and ending with Magnificat. The back-front-back story concept is so
                                    cool. I read the books in order and remember impatiently waiting for
                                    the next to come out. And since have read the entire series 10 or
                                    more times. As far as casting goes I would just be thrilled to see
                                    my favorite books made into a movie. Is anyone here Dune fans? They
                                    did a great job with the first 3 Dune books on the sci-fi channel
                                    (except the physical look casting of Paul). I never understood why
                                    Julian Mays books weren't as popular. Maybe there's hope and someday
                                    we will see a mini-series or whatever made. I sure hope so. My 11
                                    year old is just finishing up the Dune series and I think I'll let
                                    him read my precious dog-eared Julian may books. I made a sci-fi fan
                                    of him; he's doing his 6th grade book report on Dune! The spice must
                                    flow! Maybe the next book report will be on the many colored land!
                                    Hi to everybody! Aneece

                                    - In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, nick ramsay
                                    <marcelplume@...> wrote:

                                    > Oh ok. If someone is going to do a film/TV series. You
                                    > might as well do it with a couple of BIG names.
                                    >
                                    > I read Intervention first. Then I read Jack the
                                    > bodiless. While I was reading JTB and DM, I got thru
                                    > Golden torc etc. Just as I finished Adversary.
                                    > Magnificat came out. I think purely by chance I got
                                    > the best of the series.
                                    > A quick introduction to the "world" with Intervention.
                                    > Then the slow unfolding of the rise and fall of Marc
                                    > (And subsequent rise again). Fantastic.
                                    >
                                    > If your going to do a Series/film. Do it in that
                                    > order.
                                    >
                                    > Hell if your going to do the lot. Do the Saga of the
                                    > exiles as a interwoven seperate series within the
                                    > Mileu series.
                                    >

                                    > Meow
                                    >
                                    > --- mightyogbo <ogbo@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > I think the 2 candidates for movies would be:
                                    > >
                                    > > - doing The Many Coloured Land & The Golden Torc as
                                    > > one film
                                    > > - doing Intervention as a stand-alone movie
                                    > >
                                    > > Otherwise - given what can be done on TV today, and
                                    > > with HDTV,
                                    > > then a long running set of TV series might be good.
                                    > >
                                    > > Whichever way - I couldn't wait to see Felice blow
                                    > > Gibraltar ;-)
                                    > >
                                    > > -- Stephen
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Padraig
                                    > > Timmins" <timmypaddins@>
                                    > > wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Blimey I would!
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Don't get me wrong, I'm a pureist an would hate
                                    > > things to be messed with.
                                    > > > And Directors are far too arrogant, thinking they
                                    > > know best, not to mes with
                                    > > > stuff, and hiding behind the feble excuse of "it
                                    > > can't be done like that on
                                    > > > film", and other such rubbish. But I would LOVE
                                    > > to see the Pliocene
                                    > > > particularly on film. I think it lends itself to
                                    > > film more that the Milieu
                                    > > > series.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > However, I would run with mainly unknowns, and kep
                                    > > well known actors to a
                                    > > > minimum, reserving them for important but brief
                                    > > roles.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Cheers
                                    > > >

                                    > > > Padster

                                    > > think I

                                    > Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint? Visit Yahoo! For
                                    Good http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/environment.html

                                  • Steve Collier
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 28, 2007
                                      Nope, NO WAY. Name one book that was worth reading which was made into anevn acceptable movie. Directors are the same as editor and as HeinLein once described editors: "Editors only like the soup once they've P1$$ed in it."

                                      Besides how many people are smart enough to understand what May is trying to accomplish?

                                      <marcelplume@ ...> wrote:

                                      > Oh ok. If someone is going to do a film/TV series. You
                                      > might as well do it with a couple of BIG names.
                                      >
                                      > I read Intervention first. Then I read Jack the
                                      > bodiless. While I was reading JTB and DM, I got thru
                                      > Golden torc etc. Just as I finished Adversary.
                                      > Magnificat came out. I think purely by chance I got
                                      > the best of the series.
                                      > A quick introduction to the "world" with Intervention.
                                      > Then the slow unfolding of the rise and fall of Marc
                                      > (And subsequent rise again). Fantastic.
                                      >
                                      > If your going to do a Series/film. Do it in that
                                      > order.
                                      >
                                      > Hell if your going to do the lot. Do the Saga of the
                                      > exiles as a interwoven seperate series within the
                                      > Mileu series.
                                      >

                                      > Meow
                                      >
                                      > --- mightyogbo <ogbo@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > I think the 2 candidates for movies would be:
                                      > >
                                      > > - doing The Many Coloured Land & The Golden Torc as
                                      > > one film
                                      > > - doing Intervention as a stand-alone movie
                                      > >
                                      > > Otherwise - given what can be done on TV today, and
                                      > > with HDTV,
                                      > > then a long running set of TV series might be good.
                                      > >
                                      > > Whichever way - I couldn't wait to see Felice blow
                                      > > Gibraltar ;-)
                                      > >
                                      > > -- Stephen
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In Julian-May-discuss@ yahoogroups. com, "Padraig
                                      > > Timmins" <timmypaddins@ >
                                      > > wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Blimey I would!
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Don't get me wrong, I'm a pureist an would hate
                                      > > things to be messed with.
                                      > > > And Directors are far too arrogant, thinking they
                                      > > know best, not to mes with
                                      > > > stuff, and hiding behind the feble excuse of "it
                                      > > can't be done like that on
                                      > > > film", and other such rubbish. But I would LOVE
                                      > > to see the Pliocene
                                      > > > particularly on film. I think it lends itself to
                                      > > film more that the Milieu
                                      > > > series.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > However, I would run with mainly unknowns, and kep
                                      > > well known actors to a
                                      > > > minimum, reserving them for important but brief
                                      > > roles.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Cheers
                                      > > >

                                      > > > Padster

                                      > > think I

                                      > Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint? Visit Yahoo! For
                                      Good http://uk.promotion s.yahoo.com/ forgood/environm ent.html

                                      Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                                    • nick ramsay
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 29, 2007
                                        Intervention is the start isn't it? or is there one?

                                        Discuss

                                        meow

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 29, 2007
                                          Certainly by book releases, The Saga of the Exiles comes first, then
                                          Intervention the linking tale, and finally the Galactic Milieu trilogy.

                                          And I agree with aneecek that the reverse order of the stories always
                                          fascinated me. The only problem that I found with this is that JM
                                          had to add a lot of explanation at the start of The Many Coloured
                                          Land re the Milieu which I think bogged the start down a little.
                                          I know it turned some readers (friends of mine) off the series.
                                          I'd say: Stick with it - but they never did. Their loss.

                                          The back-to-front order also gives us the delicious plot point in
                                          Intervention of the Family Ghost being Marc - although I'm sure most
                                          of us had guessed it - and obviously being 6 million years old. But you
                                          only get this frission when you've already read The Saga - and know
                                          what Marc & Elizabeth did at the end.

                                          On the other hand - as a series of movies for the great unwashed masses,
                                          starting with Intervention might be better as it links straight into our time
                                          and would be more accessible. Then move onto the Galactic Milieu stories,
                                          but start to drop in little things, like Rogi kicking back with a drink & a cat
                                          and watching Milieu Network News:

                                          "Tonight on MNN, the amazing time portal discovery of Prof. Guderian ..."

                                          and then later other news reports or discussions re the use of it as Exile,
                                          and what might be on the other side.

                                          Of the groups of children who were spontaneously becoming cooadunate
                                          as discussed (I think) in Magnificat, one of them could be a young Elizabeth
                                          Orme. Later duing the climax as we see the reaction in the noosphere to
                                          the titanic psychic struggle for the future of the Milieu, young Elizabeth's
                                          horror could be one of the reaction shots.

                                          Then of course we see the Rebels disappearing through the Portal - and
                                          finally we're ready to start with the Saga ... 30 years later ...

                                          -- Stephen

                                          --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, nick ramsay <marcelplume@...> wrote:

                                          > Intervention is the start isn't it? or is there one?
                                          >
                                          > Discuss
                                          >
                                          > meow
                                        • Imhilien
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 30, 2007

                                            With the success of TV shows like 'Heroes', there would certainly be
                                            some interest I'm sure from the great unwashed if 'Intervention' was
                                            made. :-)

                                            ['Milieu Network News made me laugh!]

                                            Since Elizabeth and her first husband were both redactors (I'm
                                            pretty sure he was), I've sometimes wondered if they chose to focus
                                            on the healing aspect of their gifts (as well as being teachers), as
                                            their way of personally dealing with trauma felt after the
                                            Rebellion...

                                            You could say that the very start of it all is when some Seer in the
                                            Duat Galaxy a long time before the 'Exile' books makes a prophecy
                                            about The NightFall War. Earth is still in a fairly primitive stage,
                                            but already people like Felice and Marc Remillard have made
                                            ominous 'blips' on someones radar.

                                            --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "mightyogbo" <ogbo@...>