"...sudden, shared comprehension"

  • clairiti
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17, 2007
      It's been a long time since I visited the group, but I've recently embarked on yet another re-
      read and I've come to a part that always frustrates me because there seems to be a meaning I
      can't grasp. Even worse, it's such a minor thing that has no impact on the story that I hate
      spending time wondering about it. So if anyone can enlighten me, please do so I can just get
      over it : ) .

      It's in "Surveillance", where the overseers have just visited the Lylmik spacecraft to discuss
      the conclusion of their 30 years of intensified observation. They are astonished at the
      Lylmiks' intention to assist in the next phase. At the end of this chapter and Part I of the
      book, the Gi says, "Earthings! Do you know - I'm beginning to be quite afraid of them". The
      Simb replies, "Nonsense! We Simbiari know humanity better than any of you. They don't scare
      *us*."

      And then: "The three other entities exchanged thoughts of sudden, shared comprehenion."

      So - what is it they have suddenly comprehended?? (I told you it was minor!)

      I would like to comprehend it myself.

      Thanks,
      Claire
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24, 2007
        Hi Claire,

        I'm re-reading 'Intervention' myself at the moment, and the
        impression I got with that passage was the other overseers suddenly
        realised that the Simbiari weren't that scared of humanity as
        perhaps they should be... and they might come to regret that
        attitude in the future.

        [Well, that's my two cents anyway!]

        If I was an overseer, I'm sure that shepherding humanity would be
        like trying to herd cats, lol.

        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "clairiti" <clairiti@...>
        wrote:

        > It's been a long time since I visited the group, but I've recently
        embarked on yet another re-
        > read and I've come to a part that always frustrates me because
        there seems to be a meaning I
        > can't grasp. Even worse, it's such a minor thing that has no
        impact on the story that I hate
        > spending time wondering about it. So if anyone can enlighten me,
        please do so I can just get
        > over it : ) .
        >
        > It's in "Surveillance", where the overseers have just visited the
        Lylmik spacecraft to discuss
        > the conclusion of their 30 years of intensified observation. They
        are astonished at the
        > Lylmiks' intention to assist in the next phase. At the end of this
        chapter and Part I of the
        > book, the Gi says, "Earthings! Do you know - I'm beginning to be
        quite afraid of them". The
        > Simb replies, "Nonsense! We Simbiari know humanity better than any
        of you. They don't scare
        > *us*."
        >
        > And then: "The three other entities exchanged thoughts of sudden,
        shared comprehenion."

        > So - what is it they have suddenly comprehended?? (I told you it
        was minor!)

        > I would like to comprehend it myself.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Claire

      • rzrbks2001
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 29, 2007
          --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Nicolette Lewer"
          <nicolel@...> wrote:

          > Hi Claire,
          >
          > I'm re-reading 'Intervention' myself at the moment, and the
          > impression I got with that passage was the other overseers suddenly
          > realised that the Simbiari weren't that scared of humanity as
          > perhaps they should be... and they might come to regret that
          > attitude in the future.
          >
          > [Well, that's my two cents anyway!]
          >
          > If I was an overseer, I'm sure that shepherding humanity would be
          > like trying to herd cats, lol.
          >

          > High Thoughts,
          > - Nicolette :-)

          The other point worth noting Might be that while the Simbs might be
          higher on the Advancement scale than a couple of the others, I'd rate
          them as being like teen-agers, that is, they know they're good but
          they have a higher opinion of themselves than they should.