  • Chris Branch
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2001
      Hi folks,
      Just joined in and read through most of the previous postings.
      Lots of great discussion going on here! May has been my long-time
      second favorite author, but I feel at a disadvantage because I have
      read the Pliocene books only two or three times and the Milieu books
      only once (as they were published, so that means I finished in what -
      '96?). Based on the intelligent and in-depth conversations on this
      list, I think I need to do some rereading before being able to
      contribute!
      Regarding the Rampart worlds trilogy: I've only read the first one,
      and I enjoyed it well enough - reminded me of some stuff I used to
      enjoy by Alan Dean Foster, in case you've read any of his early work.
      Light reading, but fun.
      Regarding other authors, I have to mention my all-time favorite Tim
      Powers, although his work is rather different from May's, to say the
      least. Nevertheless, I recommend his work most highly.

      An administrative item (for Leticia?): On the Yahoo groups page for
      SF/F Authors...
      and_Writing/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/Authors
      ...there is a subcategory for "May, Julien" (sic). There are no
      groups in that category, and this group appears in the list of
      authors below the individual author categories, but only if you go to
      the second page. So my point is that it wasn't that easy to find!
      Some potential participants might have given up after not seeing any
      entries under May's (misspelled) name. Do you think you can get
      Yahoo to categorize this group under her name (and maybe even get the
      misspelling fixed)?

      Later!

      ccb

      [Chris Branch]
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2001
        --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., "Chris Branch" <cbranch@i...> wrote:
        > Hi folks,
        > Just joined in and read through most of the previous postings.
        > Lots of great discussion going on here! May has been my long-time
        > second favorite author, but I feel at a disadvantage because I have
        > read the Pliocene books only two or three times and the Milieu
        books
        > only once (as they were published, so that means I finished in
        what -
        > '96?).

        Hey Chris - welcome to the list. Don;t worry about lurking just jump
        straight in there...it's not an aggressive list so you are unlikely
        to find twenty people jumping down your throat if you make a slight
        misquote or whatever *g*. And as for rereads, I haven't even started
        the Rampart Worlds series yet, to my shame! Soon I tell myself,
        soon...

        > Regarding other authors, I have to mention my all-time favorite
        Tim
        > Powers, although his work is rather different from May's, to say
        the
        > least. Nevertheless, I recommend his work most highly.

        I've just been flipping through some reviews of his novels and it
        looks interesting - can you recommend a starting point, any
        particular novel that really showcases his style?

        > An administrative item (for Leticia?): On the Yahoo groups page
        for
        > SF/F Authors...
        > and_Writing/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/Authors
        > ...there is a subcategory for "May, Julien" (sic). There are no
        > groups in that category, and this group appears in the list of
        > authors below the individual author categories, but only if you go
        to the second page. So my point is that it wasn't that easy to find!

        Thanks for pointing this out Chris I had no idea about the situation.
        I must admit when I went and tried to search I couldn't find it at
        all, it took me a while to figure out to scroll down (because it
        makes it look like that first page is all there is!), and I still
        haven't figured how that mispelled 'Julien' got on the list.
        I emailed Yahoo to ask them to change the spelling, to start with, so
        hopefully that will happen sometime in the next millenium.
        In the meantime, I changed my listing to
        http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/dir/Entertainment___Arts/Humanities/Books_
        > and_Writing/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/Authors/Julien_May

        However, even though this is now our listing when I went and searched
        for Julien or Julian May I still don't get a category listing linked
        to a group....very distressing. That's when the net gets really
        annoying, I wish there was a helpline I could call and say - look,
        this is really bugging me can you fix it please?? Instead I'm feeling
        a bit helpless. I'll check in a few days again and get back to
        everyone, maybe the change in listing is nor registered
        instantaneously.