About Baen's Universe

  • Joel Flanagan-Grannemann
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2006
       My wife has been turned on to the free and pay versions of the Baen e-books.  From the Baen.com site you can download bunches of free books and also for a small fee buy other books.  Lots of military SciFi (Weber, Drake, etc.) and lots of their fantasy work, too.

               You can get the books in a variety of formats from PDF, to the Mobipocket reader (good from most Palms and smartphones, and other handhelds).  Great for if you are in line, or waiting for a table.

               It's a great service with lots of great books.

               Now they have started a e-magazine ($30 for 6 issues).  They only have 2400 subscribers to it and are looking to expand their base.  You get 15 stories a month (Fantasy, Sci Fi and Classic Stories) and 3 or 4 articles for less than the price of a comparable paper magazine.

               Also a lot of the Baen hardcovers of their Flagship authors have come with a CD of the free books.

               Turned my wife on to a lot of authors that  she other wise would not have known about.  And I have a bunch of books on my Palm, too.

               So check it out and see what you think and support a great publisher.

      Joel