Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: Bzyb Gorge

  • Oliver Mundy
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 21, 2006
      Judy's fine images of the Abkhazian landscape have prompted another
      thought, high or low: - Might it not be possible to create an online album
      of the real scenes and places mentioned in the books? The available range
      is a wide one, running from Greyfriars Bobby's Bar in Edinburgh to the
      sports stadium in Alma-Ata by way of the rain-soaked hills of Kauai, and
      perhaps including the Kaiserstuhl (the site of the Tanu city of Finiah) and
      the Rieskessel which represents what is left of the Ship's Grave. The
      mountains of Caledonia and the snow-grottos of Denali will have to wait
      another fifty years or so, I fear.

      Perhaps we could include living creatures too; bear-dogs and
      Phobosuchus are a little inaccessible, but surely somebody among us must
      have an Abyssinian cat?

      Oliver Mundy.
    • Robert Powell
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 9, 2006
        <snip>

        > Judy's fine images of the Abkhazian landscape have
        prompted another
        > thought, high or low: - Might it not be possible to create an
        online album
        > of the real scenes and places mentioned in the books? <snip>

        You'll find the Hawaiian Spouting Horn etc in the photos section of
        this site (taken on my Honeymoon), just check the left menu when you
        log in. To see 'Rogi's Hotel' mind you, you might want to check out
        the links below:

        To see the White Mountain Hotel (bookings still available apparently)
        http://www.mtwashingtonvalley.org/bus_display.cfm?MID=147

        To see the Mountain
        http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/washington.html

        To see the Railway
        http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/cog_rr.html

        For more 'exotic' locations try the galleries at:

        http://www.bobpowell.co.uk/julianmay/

        Regards

        BTBG
      • Oliver Mundy
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 9, 2006
          As Basil Wimborne might have said: 'Nullum est iam dictum quod non
          sit dictum prius'*. My prayers for a JM picture-gallery had been answered
          before I ever formulated them. My thanks and (as regards his own
          contribution) congratulations to Robert.

          Oliver Mundy.

          *'Nothing which we say today has never been said before' (Terence).
        • mightyogbo
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 14, 2006
            Firstly, greetings all. Had some time for serious reading recently and so decided to re-read
            much of my Julian May collection. Started at Intervention, went through the Milieu trilogy
            and then backtracked into the Saga. Good goddess - I forgot just how much I LOVED this
            series!

            So decided it would be nice to discuss this occasionally.

            --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Powell" <pallol@...> wrote:
            > To see the White Mountain Hotel (bookings still available apparently)
            > http://www.mtwashingtonvalley.org/bus_display.cfm?MID=147
            >
            > To see the Mountain
            > http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/washington.html
            >
            > To see the Railway
            > http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/cog_rr.html
            >
            > For more 'exotic' locations try the galleries at:
            >
            > http://www.bobpowell.co.uk/julianmay/

            These are great - the White Mountain hotel looks pretty much as I imagined it.

            Another way of accessing Julian May's locations would be through online maps. For
            example, here is the Ship's Grave at Nordlingen. Pretty obvious crater location.

            http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Nordlingen,
            +Germany&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.176833,78.310547&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=1
            4&ll=48.850831,10.489575&spn=0.040213,0.104628&t=k

            -- Stephen
          • Padraig Timmins
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 14, 2006

              Traffic has been a bit slow recently, but just in case nothing else happens this side of the new millennium, Merry Christmas everyone, and lest keep banging on at JM to write the aftermath of The Adversary.  Right!  RIGHT?

              Cheers

              Padster

              Message Received: Dec 14 2006, 12:50 PM
              From: "mightyogbo"
              To: Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: JM online album (was: Bzyb Gorge)

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 16, 2006
                Hi Padster,

                That sounds good to me as well. ;-) I would even be happy with some
                short stories from the Great JM...

                Here's hoping everyone has a great Christmas (how did it sneak up so
                fast?), and may our new member feel welcome. :D

                --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Padraig Timmins