Bzyb Gorge

  • Judy Kay Craft
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 16 10:44 AM
      I'm re-reading Surveillance (I do so love Uncle Rogi) and have just
      read the chapter introducing us to the five year old Tamara. I'd
      thought I'd share this link of the "Goodbye Motherland" gorge which is
      an example of the terrain Dr Sakavadhze was driving through to get to
      Upper Bzyb

      http://foto.mail.ru/mail/elens4/25/39.html

      No wonder he said it froze his balls to think about driving that road
      in the dark

      Blessings Bright & Dark
      Judy Kay Craft
    • Ted Tofield
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 16 11:28 AM
        yes indeed - wise words!

        Ted

        --

        cheers!

        Ted
      • Michael
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 16 2:57 PM
          OMG, what a breath-taking scene! Thank you.
          Michael

          --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Judy Kay Craft"

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 18 2:48 AM
            Hi Judy,

            That's a great picture - thanks for sharing! :-)

            <judy.craft@...> wrote:

            > I'm re-reading Surveillance (I do so love Uncle Rogi) and have just
            > read the chapter introducing us to the five year old Tamara. I'd
            > thought I'd share this link of the "Goodbye Motherland" gorge which
            is
            > an example of the terrain Dr Sakavadhze was driving through to get to
            > Upper Bzyb
            >
            > http://foto.mail.ru/mail/elens4/25/39.html
            >
            > No wonder he said it froze his balls to think about driving that road
            > in the dark
            >
            > Blessings Bright & Dark
            > Judy Kay Craft

          • Judy Kay Craft
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 19 4:02 PM
              Here is another link with photos from Abkhazia (Sochi as well as Bzyb
              River!)
              It is famous for having a lots of beautiful wildflowers which grow no
              where else, as well as being the home of the Golden Fleece

              http://www.prokudin-gorsky.ru/English/database.php3?first=940&sAlbum=&sText=&nAlbum=

              I'm now re-reading Jack the Bodiless...
              So off to find applicable links for British Columbia...

              Blessings Bright & Dark
              Judy Kay Craft
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 21 3:02 AM
                Hi Judy,

                Thanks for that link; some of the pictures are great to look at. :-)

                <judy.craft@...> wrote:

                > Here is another link with photos from Abkhazia (Sochi as well as
                Bzyb
                > River!)
                > It is famous for having a lots of beautiful wildflowers which grow
                no
                > where else, as well as being the home of the Golden Fleece
                >
                > http://www.prokudin-gorsky.ru/English/database.php3?
                first=940&sAlbum=&sText=&nAlbum=

                > I'm now re-reading Jack the Bodiless...
                > So off to find applicable links for British Columbia...
                >
                > Blessings Bright & Dark
                > Judy Kay Craft

              • Oliver Mundy
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 21 6:49 AM
                  Judy's fine images of the Abkhazian landscape have prompted another
                  thought, high or low: - Might it not be possible to create an online album
                  of the real scenes and places mentioned in the books? The available range
                  is a wide one, running from Greyfriars Bobby's Bar in Edinburgh to the
                  sports stadium in Alma-Ata by way of the rain-soaked hills of Kauai, and
                  perhaps including the Kaiserstuhl (the site of the Tanu city of Finiah) and
                  the Rieskessel which represents what is left of the Ship's Grave. The
                  mountains of Caledonia and the snow-grottos of Denali will have to wait
                  another fifty years or so, I fear.

                  Perhaps we could include living creatures too; bear-dogs and
                  Phobosuchus are a little inaccessible, but surely somebody among us must
                  have an Abyssinian cat?

                  Oliver Mundy.
                • Robert Powell
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 9, 2006
                    <snip>

                    > Judy's fine images of the Abkhazian landscape have
                    prompted another
                    > thought, high or low: - Might it not be possible to create an
                    online album
                    > of the real scenes and places mentioned in the books? <snip>

                    You'll find the Hawaiian Spouting Horn etc in the photos section of
                    this site (taken on my Honeymoon), just check the left menu when you
                    log in. To see 'Rogi's Hotel' mind you, you might want to check out
                    the links below:

                    To see the White Mountain Hotel (bookings still available apparently)
                    http://www.mtwashingtonvalley.org/bus_display.cfm?MID=147

                    To see the Mountain
                    http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/washington.html

                    To see the Railway
                    http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/cog_rr.html

                    For more 'exotic' locations try the galleries at:

                    http://www.bobpowell.co.uk/julianmay/

                    Regards

                    BTBG
                  • Oliver Mundy
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 9, 2006
                      As Basil Wimborne might have said: 'Nullum est iam dictum quod non
                      sit dictum prius'*. My prayers for a JM picture-gallery had been answered
                      before I ever formulated them. My thanks and (as regards his own
                      contribution) congratulations to Robert.

                      Oliver Mundy.

                      *'Nothing which we say today has never been said before' (Terence).
                    • mightyogbo
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 14, 2006
                        Firstly, greetings all. Had some time for serious reading recently and so decided to re-read
                        much of my Julian May collection. Started at Intervention, went through the Milieu trilogy
                        and then backtracked into the Saga. Good goddess - I forgot just how much I LOVED this
                        series!

                        So decided it would be nice to discuss this occasionally.

                        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Powell" <pallol@...> wrote:
                        > To see the White Mountain Hotel (bookings still available apparently)
                        > http://www.mtwashingtonvalley.org/bus_display.cfm?MID=147
                        >
                        > To see the Mountain
                        > http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/washington.html
                        >
                        > To see the Railway
                        > http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/cog_rr.html
                        >
                        > For more 'exotic' locations try the galleries at:
                        >
                        > http://www.bobpowell.co.uk/julianmay/

                        These are great - the White Mountain hotel looks pretty much as I imagined it.

                        Another way of accessing Julian May's locations would be through online maps. For
                        example, here is the Ship's Grave at Nordlingen. Pretty obvious crater location.

                        http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Nordlingen,
                        +Germany&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.176833,78.310547&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=1
                        4&ll=48.850831,10.489575&spn=0.040213,0.104628&t=k

                        -- Stephen
                      • Padraig Timmins
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 14, 2006

                          Traffic has been a bit slow recently, but just in case nothing else happens this side of the new millennium, Merry Christmas everyone, and lest keep banging on at JM to write the aftermath of The Adversary.  Right!  RIGHT?

                          Cheers

                          Padster

                          Message Received: Dec 14 2006, 12:50 PM
                          From: "mightyogbo"
                          To: Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com
                          Subject: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: JM online album (was: Bzyb Gorge)

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 16, 2006
                            Hi Padster,

                            That sounds good to me as well. ;-) I would even be happy with some
                            short stories from the Great JM...

                            Here's hoping everyone has a great Christmas (how did it sneak up so
                            fast?), and may our new member feel welcome. :D

                            --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Padraig Timmins