RE: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: Q&A[Scanned]

  • Padraig Timmins
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006

      Well I certainly can't disagree that Rogi could have had a greater latent power, but I tend to think that Don and Rogi, if they were fully trained and operant, would probably be broadly the same.  With one being better in certaing things than the other.

      So in short, no, I don't think Rogi was greater.  And I would suggest that the belief that Rogi is greater than Don is probably being influence by the fact that Rogi is a more descent chap that Don.  Don was after all a loser, and Rogi really was a nice guy, even if he did kill two people.........mmmmm, hang on a minute......

      Cheers

      Padster

    • Robert Powell
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006
        Sorry but all this is based on a faulty assumption - that only
        paramounts can give rise to paramounts. Felice's parents for
        instance were not operants at all and nobody could doubt her
        armamentum. It works the other way as well too; look at Diamond
        Mask's brother - whose name escapes me - as near as latent as makes
        no difference yet Diamond Mask was damn near a world shaker.

        Parentage is only an indication of a childs abilities, that mixed up
        gene-pool of ours makes it a very poor science.

        Given the Remillard wild-card and the (Was her last name Donavan?)
        contribution to the operant community, not to mention the in utero
        development there is no reason why Rogi children - should he choose
        to have them - wouldn't be pretty damn powerful.

        As to whether he would choose to have them, people in love often
        change their minds - hell I knew that I didn't have what it takes to
        be a dad - and even less desire to find out for certain - from a
        early as my teenage years, yet here I am in my forties and a happier
        dad you wouldn't find.

        Love makes fools of us all and makes past decisions errelevant.

        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Tofield"
        <ted.tofield@...> wrote:

        > but doesn't your heart tell you that Rogi has a greater armamentum
        > albeit latent?
        >

        > Ted
        >

        > ________________________________

        Timmins
        > Sent: 11 July 2006 10:54
        > To: Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: RE: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: Q&A[Scanned]
        >

        > > 3) I believe that Rogi's latent abilities are far greater than
        Don's
        > operant ones
        >
        > But then how big were Don's latent abilities? We are not comparing
        > Apples with Apples when we compare operant powers against latent
        ones.
        > What matters is that what is the individual capable of given the
        right
        > impetus and training. Rogi was clearly able access certain latent
        > powers given the right conditions. This is partially down to, I am
        > sure, just the kind of person he was, which was a very different to
        > Don's. But had Don the discipline to try out some of the things
        Rogi
        > did, then who know what he would have been capable of. He did
        after all
        > father Denis, who was one of the mnost powerful human's ever to
        live.

        > Cheers
        >
        > Padraig

      • timmypaddins
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006
          Don't think I actually suggested that only Paramounts give rise to
          Paramounts. Indeed Don wasn't a paramount, but he clearly gave rise
          to Denis and Victor (who was probably a paramount too) as I
          mentioned.

          The point is you can't tell either way. Weak meta-psychics can
          create strong meta-psychics and vice versa. The only thing one can
          say is that there is a general trend towards operancy, which
          cumulated for Mankind in the GM Universe in 2083 when we achieve
          Unity (although no where near 100% population operancy). And also
          there is a general trend towards each generation being stronger than
          the last, which therefore allows for Paramounts being born to
          anyone, as Diamond was.

          I don't see any reason why Rogi's children wouldn't be powerful.
          Equally I ca see that they could be total latent flunkouts. After
          all Diamond's father was the son of a Grandmaster and he was totally
          latent. Given that Rogi is weak (no come on, in the grand scheme of
          things, he is weak, except when JM needs him to do something
          extraordinary) and Elaine (THAT's her name!) was sub-operant, and
          taking the above trends into account, I don't see why there children
          would be any better than Elaine's daughter Anita(?), who was nothing
          special at all. But they could, I suppose, produce another Denis.
          I just think the chances of that are so remote as to be not worth
          thinking about.

          Cheers

          Padster
        • Ted Tofield
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006
            I'd also consider that the in-utero training common in a Unified society would raise the chances of operancy for Rogi and Elaine's children greatly.

             Ted

[...]

            This email has been virus checked by Sophos Anti-Virus

            Forthcoming events:

            http://www.plumpton.ac.uk/pages/calendar/cal/cal.htm

            Find us here:

            http://www.plumpton.ac.uk/pages/Homepages/contact.asp?FCID=15&DEP=99

            DISCLAIMER: This communication represents the originator's personal
            views and opinions, which do not necessarily reflect those of Plumpton College.
            Please delete immediately if you have received this message in error.
          • dellisdblk
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 23, 2007
              Hi All,
              Aren't we forgetting that childhood mumps made Rogi sterile?
              Or do you think he'd go into a re-gen tank? Or get fixed by the Family
              Ghost?

              Would he really want kids of his own? Methinks not!
            • dellisdblk
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 24, 2007
                ...or was it measles?

                --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "dellisdblk" <dellis@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi All,
                > Aren't we forgetting that childhood mumps made Rogi sterile?
                > Or do you think he'd go into a re-gen tank? Or get fixed by the Family
                > Ghost?
                >
                > Would he really want kids of his own? Methinks not!

              • cleomadjai
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 25, 2007
                  Wasn't Theresa, Marc's mother, Anita's daughter? And she was no slouch
                  in the meta department. Maybe Rogi could have helped the Remillard
                  Dynasty along, but after his experiences with all the Remillard
                  children, I wouldn't blame him if decided to avoid the whole issue (no
                  pun intended). At least 4 of them (Hydra) tried to kill him and the
                  others embroiled him in their plots and plans.

                  Cleomadjai