RE: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: Q&A[Scanned]

  • Padraig Timmins
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 10, 2006

      > > Does this mean I have to go through all the books again? <sigh>

      > > Just when I re-started The Belgariad again...

      > ><snip>

      > Yes.., yes it does!

      > <JM Police> Put down the Eddings, and step away from the Belgariad

      > </JM Police>

      Indeed!  You really MUST!  OK go back and read The Belgariad, just don’t read any other Eddings stuff.  It’s all the same story anyway, regurgitated with people of different names anyway.

      > Yay, woken another one up! "There were five in the bed and the

      > little one said rollover, rollover, so they . . . " arr, err, umm

      > sorry, been spending too much time with my baby son obviously (So

      > wanted to call him Marc or Aiken - but no apparently calling my

      > Mainecoon, Marcel was all the leeway I'm going to get - wimmin!! HUH

      > *grin*)

      Yeah, my wife has red hair, I have a red/golden beard (weird I know, but still true), so we were going to give our son the middle name of Glorfindel.  Then in a moment of epiphany I realised that he would just get beaten up at school, so we gave him the middle name Joseph instead.

      Cheers

      Padster

    • jimc_hjones
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 10, 2006
        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Padraig Timmins
        <timmypaddins@...> wrote:

        > Not particularly great, I would guess. Rogi's strength was not his
        meta-psychic powers,

        Rogi's mental powers...
        first to create "mental Laser"
        bizarre zapping of Parnell...

        Loose ends...
        How about the "Lylmik-in-human-bodies" children presumably conceived at
        Cynophile Towers in 2078 by Trend and Concordance and Impulse and
        Essence?
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006
          Hiya Bob,

          Glad to see that you (and others) are awake. ;-)

          I'm happy to see your great JM fan art gallery site link is available
          again (hmm, should we have another art competition to get some new
          pics put into it...).

          My favourite loose ends / speculations etc are:

          1. What happens after Rogi publishes his tell-all books?
          2. Why was JM seemingly obsessed with the number 27, i.e. 27 years
          between end of 'Magnificat' and TMCL (one of the instances with that
          number occuring, I think).

          --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Powell"
          <pallol@...> wrote:

          > Every now and then the 'oldies' on this group - amongst whose
          number I
          > count myself - get bored with going over the same discussions we've
          > had years ago. i.e. Is The Carbunkle (or Fury) the trapped
          > Felice/Cull? No - get over it! *grin*
          >
          > So unfortunately we drift away and when newbies - praise their
          name,
          > may their tribe increase - join, there is nobody left to have those
          > discussions with - well apart from Nicolette (How are you Creative
          > Sister?) and although the archives make damn fine reading, they
          can't
          > make up for human interaction, which is why groups like this fade
          > away.
          >
          > NOT ON MY SHIFT GOL'DARN IT!!!
          >
          > Which is why in my little way, I was hoping to wake a few people
          up
          > by introducing a new thread wide open, after all we haven't
          discussed
          > everything and the identifying of 'loose ends' and the speculation
          > they invariably produce is as good as place as any to begin.
          >
          > So come on Ted, what's your favourite little annoying loose end,
          and
          > where do you think it leads? Don't keep it to yourself, invite a
          few
          > friends, pull up a chair in the Eloquent Page backroom, pull a slug
          of
          > Wild Turkey, avoid the Mainecoon Cat - bring him some candy if you
          > like - and let's discuss . . . possibilities. *grin*
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > BTBG

        • Ted Tofield
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006
            1) I'll agree with artefact but I'd love to know more wouldn't you?

            2) This one will run and run

            3) I believe that Rogi's latent abilities are far greater than Don's operant ones, after all he managed that "dying" shout that got Denis's attention from the other side of the (world/galaxy - sorry cant remember)

            Cheers!

             Ted

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006

              Can’t think of another instance of 27, but I don’t have the timelines with me at the moment.  When you mentioned 27 I immediately thought of the minimum age Madam Guderian placed on Time Travellers, but that was 28 wasn’t it?  I’m sure that if JM was obsessed with 27 she would have made the minimum age for Temporal Translation 27, wouldn’t she?

              Good “loose end” with the Rogi publishing his books!  Wow, who knows?

              When the Milieu finally understood that the whole thing had been founded by Marc Remillard (cause that would be the biggest clanger of all time!), then I could just imagine the non-operants going mad, thinking that they were ruled by the Angel of the Abyss still, etc, etc.  Maybe even some operants too, but I think they would soon understand the truth and given that the entire Milieu would not exist (at least in its current form) without Marc Remillard, then I could see him being made a Saint along with his brother and Diamond.

              Cheers

              Padster

            • Padraig Timmins
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006

                > 3) I believe that Rogi's latent abilities are far greater than Don's operant ones

                But then how big were Don's latent abilities?  We are not comparing Apples with Apples when we compare operant powers against latent ones.  What matters is that what is the individual capable of given the right impetus and training.  Rogi was clearly able access certain latent powers given the right conditions.  This is partially down to, I am sure, just the kind of person he was, which was a very different to Don's.  But had Don the discipline to try out some of the things Rogi did, then who know what he would have been capable of.  He did after all father Denis, who was one of the mnost powerful human's ever to live.

                Cheers

                Padraig

              • Ted Tofield
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006
                  but doesn't your heart tell you that Rogi has a greater armamentum albeit latent?

                   Ted

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006

                    Well I certainly can't disagree that Rogi could have had a greater latent power, but I tend to think that Don and Rogi, if they were fully trained and operant, would probably be broadly the same.  With one being better in certaing things than the other.

                    So in short, no, I don't think Rogi was greater.  And I would suggest that the belief that Rogi is greater than Don is probably being influence by the fact that Rogi is a more descent chap that Don.  Don was after all a loser, and Rogi really was a nice guy, even if he did kill two people.........mmmmm, hang on a minute......

                    Cheers

                    Padster

                  • Robert Powell
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006
                      Sorry but all this is based on a faulty assumption - that only
                      paramounts can give rise to paramounts. Felice's parents for
                      instance were not operants at all and nobody could doubt her
                      armamentum. It works the other way as well too; look at Diamond
                      Mask's brother - whose name escapes me - as near as latent as makes
                      no difference yet Diamond Mask was damn near a world shaker.

                      Parentage is only an indication of a childs abilities, that mixed up
                      gene-pool of ours makes it a very poor science.

                      Given the Remillard wild-card and the (Was her last name Donavan?)
                      contribution to the operant community, not to mention the in utero
                      development there is no reason why Rogi children - should he choose
                      to have them - wouldn't be pretty damn powerful.

                      As to whether he would choose to have them, people in love often
                      change their minds - hell I knew that I didn't have what it takes to
                      be a dad - and even less desire to find out for certain - from a
                      early as my teenage years, yet here I am in my forties and a happier
                      dad you wouldn't find.

                      Love makes fools of us all and makes past decisions errelevant.

                      --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Tofield"
                      <ted.tofield@...> wrote:

                      > but doesn't your heart tell you that Rogi has a greater armamentum
                      > albeit latent?
                      >

                      > Ted
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                      Timmins
                      > Sent: 11 July 2006 10:54
                      > To: Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: RE: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: Q&A[Scanned]
                      >

                      > > 3) I believe that Rogi's latent abilities are far greater than
                      Don's
                      > operant ones
                      >
                      > But then how big were Don's latent abilities? We are not comparing
                      > Apples with Apples when we compare operant powers against latent
                      ones.
                      > What matters is that what is the individual capable of given the
                      right
                      > impetus and training. Rogi was clearly able access certain latent
                      > powers given the right conditions. This is partially down to, I am
                      > sure, just the kind of person he was, which was a very different to
                      > Don's. But had Don the discipline to try out some of the things
                      Rogi
                      > did, then who know what he would have been capable of. He did
                      after all
                      > father Denis, who was one of the mnost powerful human's ever to
                      live.

                      > Cheers
                      >
                      > Padraig

                    • timmypaddins
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006
                        Don't think I actually suggested that only Paramounts give rise to
                        Paramounts. Indeed Don wasn't a paramount, but he clearly gave rise
                        to Denis and Victor (who was probably a paramount too) as I
                        mentioned.

                        The point is you can't tell either way. Weak meta-psychics can
                        create strong meta-psychics and vice versa. The only thing one can
                        say is that there is a general trend towards operancy, which
                        cumulated for Mankind in the GM Universe in 2083 when we achieve
                        Unity (although no where near 100% population operancy). And also
                        there is a general trend towards each generation being stronger than
                        the last, which therefore allows for Paramounts being born to
                        anyone, as Diamond was.

                        I don't see any reason why Rogi's children wouldn't be powerful.
                        Equally I ca see that they could be total latent flunkouts. After
                        all Diamond's father was the son of a Grandmaster and he was totally
                        latent. Given that Rogi is weak (no come on, in the grand scheme of
                        things, he is weak, except when JM needs him to do something
                        extraordinary) and Elaine (THAT's her name!) was sub-operant, and
                        taking the above trends into account, I don't see why there children
                        would be any better than Elaine's daughter Anita(?), who was nothing
                        special at all. But they could, I suppose, produce another Denis.
                        I just think the chances of that are so remote as to be not worth
                        thinking about.

                        Cheers

                        Padster
                      • Ted Tofield
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006
                          I'd also consider that the in-utero training common in a Unified society would raise the chances of operancy for Rogi and Elaine's children greatly.

                           Ted

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 23, 2007
                            Hi All,
                            Aren't we forgetting that childhood mumps made Rogi sterile?
                            Or do you think he'd go into a re-gen tank? Or get fixed by the Family
                            Ghost?

                            Would he really want kids of his own? Methinks not!
                          • dellisdblk
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 24, 2007
                              ...or was it measles?

                              --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "dellisdblk" <dellis@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Hi All,
                              > Aren't we forgetting that childhood mumps made Rogi sterile?
                              > Or do you think he'd go into a re-gen tank? Or get fixed by the Family
                              > Ghost?
                              >
                              > Would he really want kids of his own? Methinks not!

                            • cleomadjai
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 25, 2007
                                Wasn't Theresa, Marc's mother, Anita's daughter? And she was no slouch
                                in the meta department. Maybe Rogi could have helped the Remillard
                                Dynasty along, but after his experiences with all the Remillard
                                children, I wouldn't blame him if decided to avoid the whole issue (no
                                pun intended). At least 4 of them (Hydra) tried to kill him and the
                                others embroiled him in their plots and plans.

                                Cleomadjai