Q&A

  • Padraig Timmins
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006

      Well here's my penny's worth:

      1) How does Mercy's daughter marry?

      Do you mean who?  Dunno, but it seems to me that it has got to be Thagdal (Nodonn’s tribrid son).  I don’t think anything else can really explain Morna’s reaction when asked who her King would be.

      2) What happens to little Dagdal?

      Well I would suggest that he becomes king.  Think about it.  He is the son of, possibly, the greatest Tanu living at the time of Exile, Nodonn (although I think it more than possible that Minannon was his equal or greater).  The kid had an influx of human genes and as he was also half Firvulag he would have been fully operant.  THAT is one hell of a combination.

      I guess some would say Nodonn wasn’t nearly a match for Aiken even before Aiken subsumed Mercy (whose powers he couldn’t possibly have integrated before his confrontation with Nodonn) and Nodonn’s power  And I would agree.  But Nodonn was a Torc wearer, and the Torc did not give it’s wearer true operant power.  Of course I can’t say what that means without asking JM herself, but I would guess that it meant Nodonn was simply unable to fully utilise his true mental potential because of the artificial nature of his operancy.

      So I feel Thagdal Junior would be one VERY hot potato indeed.

      But how would he become king?  There was simply no individual human, Tanu of Firvulag around that could match Aiken, and realistically there was no prospect of anyone of those peoples being born who would be able to match him.  Of course Thagdal was far from normal being a tribrid.

      The ultimate conclusion to this strain of thought must, therefore, be that I am suggesting Thagdal capable of one of two things; he was either able to beat up Aiken in an act of revenge, or Aiken chose, in some fashion to step down, whether that be he simply couldn’t be arsed to fight back, or that he stepped down and disappeared to allow Thagdal a clear path to Kingship, I dunno.

      3) How did Marc become a Lylmik?

      He must have evolved into one.  Clearly his assertions at being annoyed at ‘physical’ immortality, in The Adversary, were unfounded.

      I can’t see any other route, except, maybe, once he had raised the people of Duat to the same kind of status of being as the Lylmik were at, at the time of the Milieu series, maybe the ‘Lylmik’ of Duat did Marc a favour and raised him to the same level.  However I don’t buy it.  I think Marc is awesome and he made it first, without help, whilst in the Duat galaxy.

      4) Are the Lylmik descended from the Duat race or the Ship race?

      Neither!  There is simply no question of the Lylmik being from Duat.

      They were from our own Milky Way, pure and simple.  Marc says exactly this at the beginning of Diamond Mask:

      “When the Duat work was done, Elizabeth was weary and ready to pass on.  She begged me to follow her into the peace and light of the Cosmic All...but I could not.

      Instead, I felt compelled to return here.  Alone, cut off from every mind that had loved me and from the consoling Unity I had known in Duat, I undertook what I judged was my true penance: to assist the maturation of our own Galatic Mind.

      …But finally, perhaps in spite of my efforts rather than as a result of them, I found success. The Lylmik were the first minds to Unify, and I adopted their peculiar race as my own.  Then, aeons later, the Krondaku also achieved coadunation.”

      Nuff said.  The Lylmik were native to the Milky Way.  There is no other way to read this.

      5) Just who the fe'k is Dougal!!?
      He wasn’t Atoning Unifix!  He was just some bloke, as JM said.  An interesting one sure, but still just some mad bloke.

      Cheers

      Padster

    • Robert Powell
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2006
        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Padraig Timmins
        <timmypaddins@...> wrote:

        > Well here's my penny's worth:
        >
        > 1) How does Mercy's daughter marry?
        > Do you mean who? Dunno, but it seems to me that it has got to be
        Thagdal (Nodonn’s tribrid son). I don’t think anything else can
        really explain Morna’s reaction when asked who her King would be.

        Yes I meant who - but again it's a loose end, she could just as
        easily be marrying the king of the firvulag to get reaction.

        > 2) What happens to little Dagdal?
        > Well I would suggest that he becomes king. Think about it. He is
        the son of, possibly, the greatest Tanu living at the time of Exile,
        Nodonn (although I think it more than possible that Minannon was his
        equal or greater). The kid had an influx of human genes and as he
        was also half Firvulag he would have been fully operant. THAT is
        one hell of a combination.

        This really is my own bugbear Ilove the possibility of that kid. Why
        did JM create him only to not use him again - annoyed!!!

        > I guess some would say Nodonn wasn’t nearly a match for Aiken
        even before Aiken subsumed Mercy (whose powers he couldn’t
        possibly have integrated before his confrontation with Nodonn) and
        Nodonn’s power And I would agree. But Nodonn was a Torc wearer,
        and the Torc did not give it’s wearer true operant power. Of
        course I can’t say what that means without asking JM herself, but
        I would guess that it meant Nodonn was simply unable to fully
        utilise his true mental potential because of the artificial nature
        of his operancy.

        > So I feel Thagdal Junior would be one VERY hot potato indeed.
        >
        > But how would he become king? There was simply no individual
        human, Tanu of Firvulag around that could match Aiken, and
        realistically there was no prospect of anyone of those peoples being
        born who would be able to match him. Of course Thagdal was far from
        normal being a tribrid.

        > The ultimate conclusion to this strain of thought must, therefore,
        be that I am suggesting Thagdal capable of one of two things; he was
        either able to beat up Aiken in an act of revenge, or Aiken chose,
        in some fashion to step down, whether that be he simply couldn’t
        be arsed to fight back, or that he stepped down and disappeared to
        allow Thagdal a clear path to Kingship, I dunno.

        > 3) How did Marc become a Lylmik?
        > He must have evolved into one. Clearly his assertions at being
        annoyed at ‘physical’ immortality, in The Adversary, were
        unfounded.

        No evolution on that scale is not accomplished in a single
        generation. It's too simple to say he merely evolved; even 'Jack
        forming' he'd have been a loose brain, how could he go from
        corporeal to damn near incorporeal without creativeity way above any
        known power.

        <snip>,
        I undertook what I judged was my true penance: to assist the
        maturation of our own Galatic Mind.
        > …
        > …
        > …But finally, perhaps in spite of my efforts rather than as a
        result of them, I found success. The Lylmik were the first minds to
        Unify, and I adopted their peculiar race as my own. Then, aeons
        later, the Krondaku also achieved coadunation.”

        > Nuff said. The Lylmik were native to the Milky Way. There is no
        other way to read this.

        Really you're that sure . . . please show me exactly where he says
        he 'found' the Lylmik, he merely says they were the first to Unify.
        Isn't is just as plausible he bought them to the Milky Way from
        Duat, to have the correct building blocks he needed to create the
        Milieu and atone? Remember he, did say it was "in spite of my
        efforts " may be he wasn't working from guess work, he knew the end
        result of his endeavours and was an accomplished manipulator after
        all.

        > 5) Just who the fe'k is Dougal!!?
        > He wasn’t Atoning Unifix! He was just some bloke, as JM said.
        An interesting one sure, but still just some mad bloke.

        I for one don't buy the Unifex assumption, but I'd love to know his
        geneology .., his insights are just too canny.

        > Cheers
        >
        > Padster

        Well you've attempted to answer some of mine, but how about your
        loose ends? Aren't there a few twists and turns that led nowhere
        that annoy you? Come one I know you want to know just how and where
        Teresa was exposed to the mutagen that caused Jack - and was it
        Unifex 'playing' again?

        What loose ends have you discovered in the books

        Regards

        BTBG
      • Padraig Timmins
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10, 2006

          > Yes I meant who - but again it's a loose end, she could just as

          > easily be marrying the king of the firvulag to get reaction.

          Good point.  I hadn’t considered that.  But hey, Thagdal could still qualify in this scenario too.  Let’s face it Thagdal Junior could well be the most powerful member of the Tanu/Firvulag race that ever lived.  And he’s a natural operate, and he is born to a Firvulag crossbreed.  Maybe he would therefore naturally gravitate towards the Firvulag, in which case, as the Firvulag didn’t have Aiken forcing them down the path of pacifism (OK not quite like that, but close enough), then maybe they kept to their warlike ways and when Thagdal comes along with his awesome powers he whips their collective hides, does away with the elective monarch rubbish and installs himself as Fivulag King.  Now THAT would make Morna scared!

          > This really is my own bugbear Ilove the possibility of that kid. Why

          > did JM create him only to not use him again - annoyed!!!

          I think Thagdal would be an awesome character.  And the more I think about it, the more likely the above becomes, to my mind.  He’s a natural operate on a Firvulag mother, who wasn’t exactly the nicest person in the world, and he would have got quite a rough upbringing I am sure.  On his own with his mum, and maybe a few human bandits, he would have been brought up by the University of hard knocks and probably have had to become at least competent with some hunting weapons; say bow and spear, so the chances are he would have been no slouch in combat.  If he took on his father’s metapsychic pattern, and let’s face it that’s what we all want i.e.: operant in all five metafaculties, then should this be bolstered by the natural Firvulag creativity, mixed in with a dose of Human genes, his metapsychic potential looks gargantuan.  Nodonn was limited because he wore a Torc.  He was not a true operant.  Thagdal would have none of these restrictions (of course he MAY not have been operant, but let’s face it again, it’s what we would want – right!).  Now Nodonn was head of the PK guild, but don’t forget he was able to scare the be’Jesus out of Gomnol (a TOP Coercer) when they got together for the attack on the Rebels, and he was able to do the same to Culluket (very good redactor), when Cullucket got a bit too big for his boots.  We don’t actually know whether or not Nodonn wasn’t actually up to heading up more than one Guild, but since PK was a very fashionable with the Tanu, maybe he didn’t feel the need to head up another guild as he already headed up the ‘most important’ one.

          Thagdal’s pedigree is therefore awesome, and should he invite himself to the Firvulag party, then his bredth and depth of meta-psychic power would have whipped anyone of the Dwarves or Ogres!

          I agree, he would have GREAT potential in any Pliocene follow up.  Maybe we should start a petition and send it to JM to get her to write the story!!

          > No evolution on that scale is not accomplished in a single

          > generation. It's too simple to say he merely evolved; even 'Jack

          > forming' he'd have been a loose brain, how could he go from

          > corporeal to damn near incorporeal without creativeity way above any

          > known power.

          Any know power, except  a being on the 3rd level of co-ordinance, which is where the people of Duat and then the Lymik got to.

          Let’s not forget, Marc had, say, 4-5million years to achieve this, and vast powers at his disposal to help him along.  And maybe as the timescale was just a little bit longer than he envisaged in his Rebellion, maybe he wouldn’t have had so much of an issue giving himself a leg-up on the way.

          Or maybe, as we don’t really know how he achieved his 3rd level of co-ordinance, after he helped the people of Duat achieve theirs they did him a favour, had a huge meta-concert and lifted him to the same level?

          What we do know is that at some point between 6million BC and the time Marc returned to the Milky Way, which was around, say, 1million BC, he achieved the 3rd level of co-ordinance and became a “Lylmik”.

          Remember the Lymik were a dying race in the Milieu Saga, and they fostered Mankind with a view to Mankind taking over custody of the Milky Way.  If I remember rightly, Marc/Unifix effectively dies at the end of Magnificat and his Lylmik chums are only a thousand or so year behind him.

          I’m not saying that mankind would achieve the ethereal Lylmik sttaus in that time period, but the Lylmik must have been sure that mankind was capable of getting far enough to replace them, or at least hoped they could.

          > Really you're that sure . . . please show me exactly where he says

          > he 'found' the Lylmik, he merely says they were the first to Unify.

          > Isn't is just as plausible he bought them to the Milky Way from

          > Duat, to have the correct building blocks he needed to create the

          > Milieu and atone? Remember he, did say it was "in spite of my

          > efforts " may be he wasn't working from guess work, he knew the end

          > result of his endeavours and was an accomplished manipulator after

          > all.

          There is no question about it.  The paragraphs I refer to, and the whole lead up is all about Marc leaving behind all the minds he knew in Duat, which would have included the ships and the people of Duat, and returning to the Milky Way ALONE.  He then embarked on a programme of monitoring and guiding other races, which seemed a bit of a failure, until finally, the Lylmik, maybe without his aid achieve Unity.  But there can be no other conclusion other than the Lylmik did so within the Milky Way and were native to it.  Any other conclusion is pure speculative, and when there is a far more logical explanation, I simply don’t buy it.

          > Well you've attempted to answer some of mine, but how about your

          > loose ends? Aren't there a few twists and turns that led nowhere

          > that annoy you? Come one I know you want to know just how and where

          > Teresa was exposed to the mutagen that caused Jack - and was it

          > Unifex 'playing' again?

          I’ll have to have a think.  I think Duat is a no go, because I simply don’t think JM could do another GALACTIC story.  I don’t think the GM series is as good as the Pliocene anyway.  It’s good for info and I re-read it about every other year, but it still isn’t as good as Pliocene.

          I really think a post “The Adversary” story on Pliocene Earth would be best of all.  And there are loads of stuff to cover off, such as:

          - Thagdal – what does he do? See above for what I think would be cool.

          - Brendan – what about him and the few who left for Pliocene Florida.  Brendan is another wild card.  He’s a Hybrid, so he’s hard, and he and his chums will all be operant due to Marc’s cool programme for curing Black Torc kids!  Imagine him with a hundred or so operant Tanu returning to Pliocene Europe.

          - Minannon – what would he do, if Brendan chose to return?

          - Agraynel – what does she do.  Is her marriage to whoever, forced?

          - Aiken – how is he deposed?  If he is deposed.  Does he sod off to join the Florida lot?

          There is loads more, I just can’t think right now.  I am planning to run a RPG set in the Pliocene with exactly the above going on, but the PC’s would have to be equally wild card characters if they were to have any chance of standing up to the big boys of the Pliocene.

          Cheers

          Padster

        • AbyssAngyl@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 10, 2006
            In a message dated 7/10/2006 9:21:46 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, timmypaddins@... writes:

> [...]

            Thagdal’s pedigree is therefore awesome, and should he invite himself to the Firvulag party, then his bredth and depth of meta-psychic power would have whipped anyone of the Dwarves or Ogres!

            I agree, he would have GREAT potential in any Pliocene follow up.  Maybe we should start a petition and send it to JM to get her to write the story!!

            Let me throw in a curve here: Smudger!  (Sharn-mes & Ayfa's whelp) I seem to remember Aiken interfering with his upbringing to the extent that Sharn demanded that he repudiate Aiken.  Smudger would be maybe five or six years older than Lil' Dag and what he makes of his head start is another provacateer of thought. We have the makings for a united kingdom with Dag as high king, and Smudger (forget his adult name) his chief lieutenant. *zang* I got it! add Agraynel to the mix and we have the makings of a classic triangle!

            > No evolution on that scale is not accomplished in a single

            > generation. It's too simple to say he merely evolved; even 'Jack

            > forming' he'd have been a loose brain, how could he go from

            > corporeal to damn near incorporeal without creativeity way above any

            > known power.

            Any know power, except  a being on the 3rd level of co-ordinance, which is where the people of Duat and then the Lymik got to.

            Let’s not forget, Marc had, say, 4-5million years to achieve this, and vast powers at his disposal to help him along.  And maybe as the timescale was just a little bit longer than he envisaged in his Rebellion, maybe he wouldn’t have had so much of an issue giving himself a leg-up on the way.

            Or maybe, as we don’t really know how he achieved his 3rd level of co-ordinance, after he helped the people of Duat achieve theirs they did him a favour, had a huge meta-concert and lifted him to the same level?

            What we do know is that at some point between 6million BC and the time Marc returned to the Milky Way, which was around, say, 1million BC, he achieved the 3rd level of co-ordinance and became a “Lylmik”.

            Au contraire: Marc was "THE Lylmik", he said so himself. I don't believe that Marc spent 5 million sol-years in the Duat galaxy. The Lylmik are hinted to be far older than one or two million years ancient. I think that Marc spent at most a million or so years in Duat before embarking upon his mission to Unify and Coadunate the Milky Way. I think he made the journey with a minimal population of Ships. My reasoning for this bit of heresy stems from JM's descriptions of Concilium Orb. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find that the Orb is at least partially sentient especially the Lylmik portion. I find it more plausable that Marc spent that time attempting to raise a multitude of species to unity. And failing. The Lylmik were probably not the first attempt, just the first successful one. For the Lylmik to be already on the downhill slide by the time humanity ascends implys a very long time.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 11, 2006

              Marc returned to the Milky Way alone, as he clearly states in Diamond Mask.  The Ships were sentient beings, so they had minds, and when Marc says that upon returning he was cut off from all the minds that had loved him and were part of the consoling unity of Duat, this MUST include the Ships.  There is no reason to doubt this and every reason to believe it as it is coming straight from Marc himself.

              I had forgotten about Smudger, or Sharn-Ador, as he was known after his Naming Day.  But I don’t think he would be in Thagdal’s league.  Sharn-Mes and Ayfa were top Firvulag minds, but they were not on the level of Pallol One-Eye, who was the only Firvulag who could really challenge the likes of Nodonn.

              Thagdal was not only going to be a top Tanu power, but he was an operant one, which immediately gives him an advantage over his Tanu and Hybrid kin.  The more I think about it the more I think Thagdal was probably destined to be a big power indeed.

              I have got to come back to Brendan too.  The son of Thagdal, who in his youth was a match for Pallol and therefore in the same meta-psychic league as Nodonn and Minannon and it was probably his age that would fail him against Nodonn more than anything else, and the son of Mary-Dedra, who was a powerful human operant, OK only Farseeing, but that does not necessarily matter – the important thing is that she clearly carried genes for strong latency.

              And of course Brendan was a hybrid and therefore physically tougher than a standard Tanu and not susceptible to Iron, and he was all fully operant without the need for a Torc.  Also the means by which he achieved operancy is important here (which is the same means that all the other Black-Torcs would achieve operancy.

              JM puts a lot of stock in education and expansion of power through PAIN.  Brendan is educated into operancy and cured of his Black Torc syndrome through the use of extreme pain.  Brede was raised to operancy through the use of extreme pain.  Jack achieved his bodiless and 2.5 stage co-ordinance through extreme pain, and Patricia (the rebel woman who loved Marc) mentions that she practiced mental exercises that drained her and cause pain with a view to trying to increase her power and ability.

              I think Brendan’s pain is probably second only to the kind of pain Jack experienced in his transformation.  What might this have done to his meta-psychic potential?  Probably increased it right at the time when children can change, absorb and learn the most, i.e.: in their early years.

              I think Brendan is quite likely the most powerful operant in post “The Adversary” Pliocene earth, sort of Aiken himself, of course.

              Cheers

              Padraig

            • alixnc
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 9 10:05 PM
                --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Padraig Timmins
                <timmypaddins@...> wrote:

                Dougal serves in the Saga chiefly as bard and chronicler (however
                buffoonish at times). His function as slightly tarnished guardian
                angel to Aiken places him as a keeper of the MacGregor legacy, and
                more generally of the spirit of the Scots within the larger British
                tradition. He is certainly not Unifex, but if one steps out of the
                frame and looks for archetypes (as per JM's instructions), one finds a
                rather Unifex-like character - not the father of Unity, but the father
                of the novel, Sir Walter Scott.