[Julian-May-discuss] Unity, Ships and the Great Carbuncle

  • OLIVER MUNDY
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2005
      In 'The Golden Torc', Felice appeals for help when she loses control
      of boatman Harry amid the Rhône rapids, and she receives a response from
      'the Two-in-One' (obviously Brede/Elizabeth), but also from something
      described as 'the Many-in-All'. I have often wondered what this can be -
      and I think the tentative answer also touches on the question, much
      discussed recently, of the nature of the Great Carbuncle.

      The Many-in-All sounds like a description of a Unified community, a
      World Mind; but what world, and what mind? There is no Milieu; the
      Lylmik, according to Marc's star-search, do not yet exist. It seems to me
      that the only possible candidates, at this period, are the Ships - the
      gigantic space-going organisms, 'motivated by love', one of whom brought the
      First Comers to Earth. (Significantly, Brede sees a vision of her lost
      Ship, 'something vast and bright and loving', at the moment when she
      glimpses Unity under Elizabeth's tuition; and at the very end of the
      series, Marc and Elizabeth emerge from hyperspace into the Duat system to be
      greeted by 'enormous crystalline creatures' - two instances where Ships are
      present at a critical moment in the process of coadunation.) And so I would
      suggest that it is the Ships who reach out to Felice and help her to save
      her friends, and who afterwards deny her when she turns her talents to
      aggression.

      Now, what has all this to do with the Great Carbuncle?

      Firstly, the Ships clearly have some kind of technology; for
      example, they are able to build (or at least teach their Spouses to build)
      implanted capsules, equipped with instrumentation and life-support systems,
      in which creatures of other races can travel. Secondly, there is an
      acknowledged likeness (mentioned by Håkon Mosseby: well met, Håkon!)
      between the Carbuncle and the 'Room Without Doors' which houses the fused
      essences of Felice and Culluket, and this Room, which in Brede's time
      contained a skeletal model of the Ship, seems likely to be a legacy to Brede
      from the Ship itself; at all events, it is not a Lylmik artifact, since it
      predates the Lylmik by millions of years. Therefore, the technology behind
      the Carbuncle would also seem to be essentially pre-Lylmik ( although of
      course the Lylmik could have rediscovered it independently). Thirdly, we
      know from Brede that the Ship had a faculty of prolepsis or foreseeing,
      immensely long in both temporal and spatial range; if this could reach far
      enough to envisage Marc and Elizabeth's mission to Duat, might it not also
      have encompassed the formation of the Milieu, the Intervention and Marc's
      rebellion?

      In short, I feel there is at least a possibility that the Ships
      created the Carbuncle, with some indefinite prevision of the part it would
      play in the future history of humanity and of the Milieu as a whole.
      Perhaps they are in some sense the forerunners of the Lylmik, perceiving
      that they are destined to die out (after all, there seems to be no sign of
      them in Milieu times) and so leaving tokens of goodwill to help in the
      accomplishment of destiny.

      Or perhaps I am merely suffering from what Richard Voorhees would
      have called (with many scatological additions, no doubt) the New Theory
      Eagers.

      Oliver Mundy.
    • OLIVER MUNDY
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2005
        "The "Many-in-all" is clearly the North American Rebels working in
        Metaconcert....." (Ted Tofield)

        I must take leave to disagree. When Felice is gathering her
        failing strength for the final assault on the isthmus, JM describes her
        thoughts thus: "The two-in-one (now oddly separate) refuse you . . . And
        the many-in-All so much farther out, who had also helped before on the River
        Rhône, now withhold and try to show you other ways. But . . . there is one
        other source of the energy, so bright, so early-rising, who will not turn
        away." So the power which enhances Felice's strength at last, and which is
        certainly the Ocala group as Ted says (Cloud Remillard acknowledges as much
        in her conversations with Kuhal), is not identical to the many-in-All. My
        case rests!

        Oliver Mundy.
      • Maurice Thomas
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2005
          I know this one! The many in all is the Howlers, who have a sort of
          unity. Or the Firvulag, or the Fremen, or something. :-)

          Seriously, I think it was the planet's cetaceans, who even six million
          years ago were really bloody smart, especially about things having
          trouble in water. (Although if that were the case, by the time 1980
          came around, Orca Killer Whale would have been a completely different
          film, and Richard Harris and Bo Derek would have had something more than
          teeth to worry about, though her acting would still have been a
          concern.) The Krondak are water-dwellers and the oldest proper psychics
          save the Lylmik, so there's precedent for ocean-going psychic "unity".

          And "far out" from the isthmus hints at "far out at sea". As a Brit,
          though, "early-rising" to describe the Ocala rebs is wrong, since the
          yanks always seem to be in bed when I need to call them from work.
          Especially the denizens of LaLaLand, whom I can phone from tomorrow if I
          stay up late enough. "Early rising" made me think immediately of
          Japan. Presumably people from Washington state (such as JM) regard the
          Florida coasters as early risers, though.

          Or perhaps Marc always got up early. He has that annoyingness about
          him, the big nazi boy scout.

          Cheers
          Maurice