Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Digest Number 959

  • Danny Grimes
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2005
      In the galactic milieu series doesnt May assert that the parent child relationship has an innate immunity to coercion.  I am remembering after a long day....but I thought that was why Paul could not openly coerce Denis.   Along these lines a failed ATTEMPT at coercion would rationalize the reaction of the mother rama to the naughty child.

      my2€,
      danny

      On 10 Oct 2005 23:53:19 -0000, Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com < Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/FIyolB/TM

      There are 2 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

            1. Re: Metapsychic monkey-tricks
                 From: Cleomadjai <cleomadjai@... >
            2. Re: Good afternoon
                 From: "patrick_sexton" <patricksexton@...>

      Message: 1
         Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 17:59:54 +0100 (BST)
         From: Cleomadjai <cleomadjai@... >
      Subject: Re: Metapsychic monkey-tricks

      I wondered about that too - my imagination come up with some sort of telekinesis - maybe he levitated mum!  That would certainly get her going.  She probably knew enough to know what he was doing wasn't natural and maybe recognised the torc from the dreaded Tanu and were probably desparate to avoid capture and enslavement.

      Cleomadjai

      Early in TMCL, a young ramapithecus (ape*) finds a golden torc
      (formerly the property of the immolated Tanu hero Bright Lugonn) and puts it
      on. A curious incident follows: -

      "Smiling still, he showed his mother what he was now able to do.

      "She shrieked.

      "The child leaped in dismay . . . Before he could recover, his
      mother was upon him, yanking the ring over his head [etc.]"

      What could the baby rama possibly have done to cause such outrage in
      his mother? What use could an ape (and an immature ape at that) make of a
      power utterly beyond his experience? He might, just conceivably, stumble on
      the gift of psychokinesis (rather like poor Raimo Hakkinen, who is probably
      the nearest thing to an ape among the human operants known to us), and no
      doubt this would startle his mother, but it does not begin to account for
      her combination of rage and horror. Or did he try some crude form of
      coercion? - but then the mother, however shaken, seems to have remained in
      command of herself. The best I can offer is that the baby, intoxicated by
      his unfamiliar sense of empowerment, may have momentarily projected an
      illusion of some monstrous predator (which might represent his ideal of
      'power'), thus inventing what would afterwards be a classic ploy among the
      Firvulag.

      What does everyone else think? (I shall not now go into the
      question of the part which this particular torc - eventually recovered by
      the young rama - may have played in human evolution, since we have discussed
      this quite recently.)

      *Yes, I know an ape is not a monkey, but I could not resist the apt
      alliteration.

      Oliver Mundy.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      ---------------------------------
      Yahoo! Messenger  NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 2
         Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:28:57 -0000
         From: "patrick_sexton" < patricksexton@...>
      Subject: Re: Good afternoon

      Thanks very much guys! It has been awhile and I couldn't think of
      it off the top of my head.

      Pat

      --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Jabberwocky1469
      <jabberwocky1469@y...> wrote:

      > yes chalicoterio, and it is a far ancestor os the nowadays horse
      >
      > Rosemary <rosemary@m...> escribió:Hi Pat,
      >
      > I think it was chaliko, short for chalicothere or something?
      >
      > -Rosemary
      >
      > patrick_sexton wrote:
      >
      > > Hi folks,
      > >
      > > Off the tops of their heads, does anyone remember the name of the
      > > large riding animals that were used in the Pliocene books?
      > >
      > > Thanks greatly,
      > >
      > > Pat
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Science fiction and fantasy Author Author of New author Author web
      site Dvd author

      Service.

      > Correo Yahoo!
      > Regístrate ya - http://correo.espanol.yahoo.com/

      Danny Grimes, Partner
      11th Hour Solutions

      414-462-9459
      4228 North 95th Street
      Wauwatosa, WI 53222

      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

      This electronic mail and the information contained herein are intended for the named recipient only. It may contain confidential matter. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please do not read any text other than the text of this notice and do not open any attachments. Also, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this electronic mail or calling 414.534.8654! After notifying the sender as described above, please delete this electronic mail message immediately and purge the item from the deleted items folder (or the equivalent) of your electronic mail system. Thank you.