TMCL Group Read – Part III, Chaps 1 & 2

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2005
      TMCL Group Read – Part III, Chaps 1 & 2

      Well, I've finally managed to participate in the Group Read of `The
      Many Coloured Land' again – I hope you enjoy the following…

      In these chapters Claude, Richard, Amerie & Felice are now `guests'
      of Madame Guderian and the `Lowlives' (the free humans who escaped
      Tanu domination) in a huge hollow tree. However, this is probably the
      best place for them, especially Felice, since the surrounding forest
      is full of Tanu (including their deadly Hunt) searching for the
      killer of Epone.

      Madame Guderian and Group Green share information and we learn that
      Madame's goal is to free all of the Pliocene humans from the Tanu;
      her way of atoning for having unwittingly sent people into the hands
      of the Tanu. She had also brought about a tentative alliance between
      the Lowlives and the Tanu.

      Madame and her chief fighter, an ex-judge called Peopeo are intrigued
      as to how Group Green killed Epone since the Tanu are invulnerable to
      glass and bronze weapons. However, Felice shows her steel knife and
      it is revealed that iron is fatal to the Tanu.

      Felice eyes Madame's golden torc (and no doubt tries to be
      indifferent when Madame says that the torc cannot be removed). Not
      surprisingly Madame can see right through Felice and tells her that
      the Firvulag are both impressed by and fearful of her when they
      secretly aided Group Green in their escape from the Tanu caravan.
      Madame also points out that as a result of Epone's death life has now
      become more dangerous for them all because of the vengeful Tanu – and
      that Group Green with their skills would be better off allying with
      Madame and her people.

      A Firvulag called Fitharn Pegleg, one of Madame's first allies,
      arrives and eventually relays the story of how the Tanu and the
      Firvulag came to Earth on a huge, living spaceship, escaping from the
      spaceship when it became clear it was about to die and crash.
      Afterwards at the Ships Grave a battle was fought between the Tanu &
      Firvulag champions who used the special weapons the Sword and the
      Spear. The Tanu champion won and had the `honour' of being killed by
      his Spear and was left in state at the Ships Grave to be the `final
      captain' for the Ship.

      The Sword is currently in the hands of the Tanu (and given as a
      trophy to the victor of the annual Grand Combat religious war) and
      Madame and her allies have been keen to get their hands on the Spear –
      but have searched in vain for the location of the Ships Grave.

      However, Claude with his geographic knowledge points out that the
      likely place must be the Ries, a crater north of the Danube River.
      Delight follows his remark and an expedition is planned to retrieve
      the Spear (and possibly some of the flying machines left at the
      site). Then it would be possible to attack the city Finiah – but this
      could only be done before the start of the upcoming Grand Combat
      Truce.

      Fitharn announces that the expedition would have to first receive
      official sanction from the Firvulag monarch, Yeochee IV. Before the
      people leave the tree Madame secretly orders a Lowlife metalsmith to
      take a group of people led by Claude to a site where iron ore can be
      found – and to take it to Madame's home of Hidden Springs without the
      Firvulag knowing. After all, the alliance isn't that strong…

      Amerie is to go to Madame's home and be a priest to the outlaw humans
      since they have been without one for years.

      When the expedition meets the Firvulag monarch he is sceptical about
      the success of their mission since they would no doubt encounter
      Howlers – Firvulag who are mutated and only barely recognise his
      authority. However, he presents Madame with a royal order to command
      assistance from Sugoll, who is said to rule the Howlers in the area
      where the expedition are heading to…

      * * * * *

      Various thoughts…

      Well, life has certainly become more dangerous as well as exciting
      for Group Green. There is genuine hope for the first time because of
      Claude – with his possible knowledge of where the Ships Grave is, the
      Spear and possibly flying machines also can be retrieved and used
      against the Tanu. With the knowledge that the Tanu are vulnerable to
      iron plans can also be made to secretly forge iron weapons.

      Not surprisingly Felice's chief reason for going with the expedition
      is to get another chance to find a golden torc…and at this stage of
      the book I remembered hoping that Felice *wouldn't* find a torc.

      I found myself liking the idea of Amerie given the role of giving
      spiritual guidance to the outlaw humans – I'm not a devout churchgoer
      myself but I think societies can suffer if there isn't somewhere to
      go if you're going through spiritual angst.

      The number of deadly foes have increased (and not for the last time
      either!) with the mention of the mutant Howlers that even the
      Firvulag are wary of…

      I believe that the Ries crater is a real place – if so then I thought
      it was a nifty idea on JM's part to incorporate it into the story.

      Any views and comments are welcome…

    • edkinsr
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2005
        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Nicolette Lewer"
        <nicolel@i...> wrote:
        > TMCL Group Read – Part III, Chaps 1 & 2
        >

        > I believe that the Ries crater is a real place – if so then I thought
        > it was a nifty idea on JM's part to incorporate it into the story.

        Yes, although the Ries is not so dramatic as perhaps it might have been
        6 million years ago.

        However, the town of Nordlingen there is a great place and still has
        it's medieaval walls and lots of character.

        Definitely worth a visit if you are driving down the 'Romantic Strasse'
        through Bavaria.
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 26, 2005
          --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "edkinsr" <edkinsr@y...>
          wrote:
          > --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Nicolette Lewer"
          > <nicolel@i...> wrote:
          > > TMCL Group Read – Part III, Chaps 1 & 2
          > >

          > > I believe that the Ries crater is a real place – if so then I
          thought
          > > it was a nifty idea on JM's part to incorporate it into the story.
          > >

          > Yes, although the Ries is not so dramatic as perhaps it might have
          been
          > 6 million years ago.
          >
          > However, the town of Nordlingen there is a great place and still
          has
          > it's medieaval walls and lots of character.
          >
          > Definitely worth a visit if you are driving down the 'Romantic
          Strasse'
          > through Bavaria.

          It sounds lovely - I will have to keep it in mind as a travel
          destination if I ever win Lotto (grin).