Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: Everybody is very quiet lately..

  • Geoff Norfolk
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 26, 2005
      hahaha...Oh dear paul.

      My sympathies. My husband thinks ALL fiction is rubbish and only reads motorbike/plumbing/Screwfix catalogues. Still, got eldest son hooked on Julian May. He has stole both my Pliocene and Millieu series books and has just moved onto my Rampart World series.

      Regards Helen
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 26, 2005

        My own personal feeling is that there never was a confrontation
        between Nodonn and Minnanon and yes the books are quite vague on this
        issue.
        Dont you remember that during the exodus to Nionel for the Grand
        Tourney,a flyer appeared and gave a demonstration of marksmanship and
        then formed up with others.Small containers rained out of the flyer
        and when broken open revealed tidbits.Now I suppose these could have
        been filled back at base but some spectators fondly rembered Mercy
        which suggests they were created.Anyway just my 2 cents worth.

        Mmmm, I had forgotten this and many other things.  I am currently re-reading all the Julian May Pliocene and Milieu books, starting with Intervention and the Milieu ones.  Now on Diamond Mask.  When I get to the Pliocene lot, I will pay closer attention to Aiken post-subsumation.

        Does your wife share you're passion for the story?When I suggested to
        mine that she read them she thought it was the greatest load of
        rubbish and went back to her Hello magazine.

        Sadly I KNOW my wife would have much the same reaction.  She thinks Tolkien and all the other Sci-fi and Fantasy books I read are weird, and that I am to.  Personally I think those works of art, and running around the woods hitting wearing chain armour and people (mostly friends as well) with swords and axes, is the behaviour of a totally sane and normal person <cough>.

        Cheers

        Padraig

      • Jabberwocky1469
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 27, 2005
          ...oh, well, I really do not know if I should tell you this, but lately I am really hooked up with some internet game called   MU,  something like dungeons and dragons but I think with more post modern.......called me old fashioned, but I am still embarrased of  this confesion.......

          Jabberwocky

          Padraig Timmins <timmypaddins@...> escribió:

[...]

          Correo Yahoo!

        • Maurice Thomas
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 31, 2005
            I remember putting together a really terrible spreadsheet back in about
            1990 that generated a MCL psychic based on choices made regarding race,
            raw stats, sanity and so forth. It was truly awful.

            Was the "order of magnitude" thing a discussion had in NBK regarding
            Felice? I barely recall - the phrase rings a bell - but I think we're
            supposed to take the analogy of stars in the sky and how brightly they
            burn, where the magnitude equation is unhelpfully inverse, but crucially
            logarithmic, in that a magnitude 1 star is 100 times brighter than a
            magnitude 6 one, giving a non-linear scale of improvement.

            For the sake of the game you're running, I'd try to keep the maths as
            simple as possible and ignore the precise inferences to be had from the
            books - since you aren't going to be recreating the same scenarios
            anyway, the system doesn't need to be able to replicate them.

            What I eventually settled on after ditching the spreadsheet was a
            percentage skill in each of the five disciplines, plus a sixth defensive
            rating which was the average of the skills / 5 (unless the player chose
            to train in defensive manoeuvres). For metaconcerts (extremely rare,
            mind you) I added together the relevant discipline(s) of all those
            contributing to the concert, plus the Metaconcert skill of the "director".

            Thus, if I presented the players with a tree blocking their way, I'd
            assign maybe a 60% difficulty to PK-ing the thing out of the way, or an
            80% difficulty for chopping it creatively into bits. Given a relatively
            weak PK adept with 20% skill, a roll of the dice would be required to
            get the thing out of the way - anything above 39% on the dice would
            work. Someone with 90% in creativity would not be asked to roll dice -
            and would not be fatigued by the task either. Naturally, the group
            which chose to walk round the tree and do nothing psychic would gain the
            most plaudits.

            As with most RPG settings, I think the trick is to not let your players
            know what the rules actually are. Once you let them know that a 60% in
            redaction makes them harder than Cullucket, you will forever be shackled
            by that. It doesn't hurt for the players to have ability sheets
            detailing their own numbers - that keeps the interest going - but since
            you know damn well that whatever they end up facing will be just that
            bit too hard for them to defeat outright regardless of how powerful they
            are, then why publish the rules?

            Wing it - it saves on agonising. I had two players who successfully
            set up a farsense metaconcert not because they (the characters) knew
            anything about metaconcerts, but more because they described how they
            were both having these weird dreams at the same time, and then
            bullshitted me further with visions they felt they were having, and then
            when the day came the "principal" in the concert started talking in
            BLOCK CAPITALS LIKE MARC IN DIAMOND MASK. This made me laugh, which
            meant of course they were able to farsense past the evil human guards
            and work out the password for the day into the castle.

            Long winded return - sorry about that

            Cheers

            Maurice

          • Padraig Timmins
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 1, 2005

              Nice one Maurice!

              I’m with you on keeping things as simple as possible, that’s why the few Pliocene and Milieu games I have run have been totally freeform.  The few Milieu games I ran at University had no rules at all, just a group of players who knew next to nothing about the setting, and had to discover their metapsychic powers on their own.  The only figures I used were giving them a Order of Magnitude score in each power, of varying levels, so I could have some idea of how they measured up to each other and anyone they may come across.  All the other necessary variables that normally go into making an RPG character (Strength, Agility, etc) were dealt with in a peculiar way, as I made them play themselves.  And since we all knew each other and had ‘some’ idea of how strong, fast and bright we were, it made for some good role-playing.

              The Pliocene games I ran had a touch more structure.  Basically the metapsychic powers were ran the same as above, but the players/characters themselves (still playing themselves) had basic characteristics, such as Physical, Mental and Social, and underneath each of these they had Strength, Stamina and Agility, so nine in total.  Then each of these was rated from Very Poor, to Poor, to Average, to Good, to Very Good.  This gave a fair amount of combinations, but allowed for some fairly easy and immediate understanding of how the players measured up against each other and NPC’s.  They also had a variety of skills that were rated on the same scale.

              One thing I did add to the metapsychic powers was a characters “Finesse” with a specific power.  To my mind there are two key issues relating to how powerful or good one could be with any one of the specific metapsychic powers.  How strong you are - i.e.: your Order of Magnitude (OOM), and how good you are at using it, in the case of the games I ran, your “Finesse” with the power.

              OOM was rated on the 1-1500 scale that Julian uses, with, I presume, even Grand Masters generally not getting much higher than 300 or so.  Of course there are exceptions, such as the Paramount Grand Masters and people like Felice.

              Finesse was rated on a scale of 1-100, with the upper limit for Master class being about 50, the upper limit for Grand Masters being about 75, and Paramount’s potentially achieving 100.  Finesse was very much a measure of how good the individual was with using their power, and how good they were a squeezing every erg of power they could from their OOM, or how fine their manipulation was of the power.

              Aiken, for all his power and intellect, just seemed to use his powers very bluntly, because he lacked serious training, although I would be willing to concede that his natural intelligence probably placed him at the equivalent of Master Class Finesse.

              Marc Remillard, on the other hand, was a Paramount, due to having had the very best training available, and there was simply no contest between him and Aiken in terms of how well they could use the power available to them.

              One just has to remember how Elizabeth, clearly far, far below Felice in her raw power potential, was able to slip a mind screen into place and simply stop Felice’s Coercion in its tracks.  This raises the issue of defensive capabilities that you have mentioned, and I have not really thought about yet.

              Anyway, as I said, I’m totally with you on keeping things as simple as possible.  For me this means keeping game play simple and fast.  Background work, and using stuff (like computers) to speed up complex stuff, can be a complicated as one likes, so long as it doesn’t adversely effect game play too much.

              Which is one of the problems I have with the spreadsheet I have designed to understand how the OOM’s relate to each other, and how Metaconcerts work.  My spreadsheet is horrible, using all sorts of calculations to try and build a reasoned, rational, and yet workable method of calculating how the various powers of the various persons meld together to get an output that is greater than the input, in relative terms.  I think I have done it, and it only requires things like the participants OOM’s to be input, but when I think about the calculations I have had to build to get a figure out the other end I go into a cold sweat.

              Oh well, sorry for the length (if indeed anyone gets this far).

              Cheers

              Padraig

              Message Received: Aug 31 2005, 11:47 PM
              From: "Maurice Thomas"
              To: Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Everybody is very quiet lately..

> [...]

              > herself.  Whilst she has sold loads of copies, I'm not sure she has
              > that wide an appeal (despite being light-years ahead of any Trek
              > rubbish, sorry you Trekkies...)?
              >
              > Cheers
              >

              > Padraig
              >
              >     ========================================
              >     Message Received: Aug 20 2005, 02:45 PM
              >     From: "Paul Fitzpatrick"
              >     To: Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com
              >     Subject: [Julian-May-discuss] Everybody is very quiet lately..
              >
              >     Hello everyone,
              >     Just back from holidays and was looking foreward to some action on
              >     the
              >     site only to find diddly squat(as you Americans are so fond of
              >     saying,or have you moved on from that?)
              >     Has anybody here ever met JM,or has there ever been an exiles
              >     convention like they have for Trekies?

              >     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

            • edkinsr
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 21, 2005
                Hi there!

                I'm currently running a Pliocene Exile RPG so interested in this
                discussion.

                When I put my game together earlier this year, I thought of using D20
                3.5 Psionics or GURPS, but eventually decided that the crunchier
                systems weren't going to give me the feel I wanted.

                In the end I've cobbled together a fairly simple system using FUDGE,
                which is more narrative based and suits the group I'm playing with.

                I have a pretty good knowledge of the books and with my trusty
                Pliocene Companion by my side, I find this is pretty much all I need.

                I tried snail-mailing Julian May some months ago, using an address I
                got from the owner of a fan-site (sorry can't recall which one at the
                moment). I was after some quality larger scale copies of the maps
                from the books for my game. I haven't had any response as yet.

                If anyone is interested in looking at what I have, drop me a line
                here.

                Cheers,

                Rob

                --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Maurice Thomas
                <maurice@m...> wrote:
> [...]
                > > or when), but I have never heard of one dedicated to Julian May
                > > herself. Whilst she has sold loads of copies, I'm not sure she
                has
                > > that wide an appeal (despite being light-years ahead of any Trek
                > > rubbish, <cough> sorry you Trekkies...)?
                > >
                > > Cheers
                > >

                > > Padraig

                > > Message Received: Aug 20 2005, 02:45 PM
                > > From: "Paul Fitzpatrick"
                > > To: Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com
                > > Subject: [Julian-May-discuss] Everybody is very quiet lately..
                > >
                > > Hello everyone,
                > > Just back from holidays and was looking foreward to some
                action on
                > > the
                > > site only to find diddly squat(as you Americans are so fond of
                > > saying,or have you moved on from that?)
                > > Has anybody here ever met JM,or has there ever been an exiles

                subject=Unsubscribe>

                ------

              • Danny Grimes
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 22, 2005
                  To All-

                  This is great! So many folks working on their own games.

                  I am currently working on my Metapsychic Game....53 pages in and
                  counting. We are starting the campaign in the future of the
                  Pliocene...20 years after the children's exodus back to the Milieu.
                  Marc and Elizabeth are safely in the Duat Galaxy and the Lord of
                  Misrule is still on the throne. Memories of the Nightfall War are
                  fading in the new generation and there is still a bevy of intrigue and
                  adventure to be had in the distant past.

                  I stopped worrying about the mechanics weeks ago and am trying to just
                  get a cool setting together along with maps and other assorted
                  materials. Mechanics just need to "reflect" the book to have the
                  right flavor and I am certain that I can get something roughly
                  approximate once I am farther down the road.

                  As with most RPGs the real fun happens at the low to mid levels...for
                  both player and GM. The folks with all the watts will turn up as NPCs
                  for the most part.

                  Looking to start a campaign following the holidays. Just wrapping a
                  couple of campaigns with the regular players before we dive in. I
                  will keep folks posted off thread if they are interested.

                  PS-Those that are interested in better Pliocene Maps let me know and I
                  will send the full color versions that I am cracking out(should be
                  done in the US holiday season barring the unforeseen).

                  Later
                  --
                  Danny Grimes, Partner
                  Band of Eight Productions

                  4228 North 95th Street
                  Wauwatosa, WI 53222

                  --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "edkinsr" <edkinsr@y...>

                • edkinsr
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 22, 2005
                    Hi Danny,

                    My game is set 2 years prior to the events narrated in the Pliocene
                    novels. (Which makes it about 2 years after Madame G. arrived in the
                    Pliocene.

                    It's kind of a watershed period, with a lot building up, socially and
                    politically.

                    What are you using for the maps?

                    I have scanned the first two maps into jpgs and traced them into
                    Fractal Mapper 7.

                    I have laysers for Geography, Tanu, Firvulag, Outlaw humans and of
                    course the 'ol GM secrets layer.