Everybody is very quiet lately..

  • Paul Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 20, 2005
      Hello everyone,
      Just back from holidays and was looking foreward to some action on the
      site only to find diddly squat(as you Americans are so fond of
      saying,or have you moved on from that?)
      Has anybody here ever met JM,or has there ever been an exiles
      convention like they have for Trekies?
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 21, 2005
        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Fitzpatrick"
        <alexmannion@y...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone,
        > Just back from holidays and was looking foreward to some action on
        the
        > site only to find diddly squat(as you Americans are so fond of
        > saying,or have you moved on from that?)
        > Has anybody here ever met JM,or has there ever been an exiles
        > convention like they have for Trekies?

        Hi there,

        Real Life got in the way there for a while (grumbles at Real Life).

        Well, I can say I know someone who met JM at a con (sigh) back in
        the '80's. I've never heard of an actual Exiles convention - wouldn't
        that be interesting to go along to [imagines most of the attendees
        dressing as Tanu].

        A bit of gossip - the Exiles series gets a mention in the latest
        issue of Brit sci-fi/fantasy mag SFX (issue 134) where the editors
        mention their favourite fantasy novels, and one of them says how JM
        did a better job with a 'modern people in a medieval society' story
        than in the book Timeline by Michael Crichton...

      • Padraig Timmins
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 22, 2005

          Never met her, sadly.

          However I do intend to write to her in the vain effort of getting a response regarding me developing a RPG system (for personal and non-profit us).  Or as a bolt on to an RPG system I currently play.

          For thsoe of you who are interested, the biggest thing I am having trouble working out is the relationship between the different Orders of Magnitude (OOM), i.e.: how does an OOM of 300 in Creativity differ from an OOM of 275?  Also another big issue, if not the biggest, is how meta-concerts work in practice.  For example with reference to creativity, how many 200 OOM individuals (formed up as a group) would it take to match one 300 OOM individual (without adding the complication of the meta-concert programme coefficient!!!!).  And finally, what were the OOM's of the key characters in the Pliocene Saga and the Galactic Milieu Triliogy, like Marc (pre-Lylmik), Aiken, Felice, Denis, Paul, Nodonn, etc, etc.  Any role-players out there feel like helping out?

          These are all questions that, those of you who are not completely mad, must make you shake your heads and saying "What a strange little man?" (which would be two thirds right, right in that I'm a man and I am strange, but I am not little...).

          I have quite a bit more to right on the subject before I can hope to send her a letter with the necessary attachements, but I would hope to complete something fairly soon.

          Anyone know about her responsiveness to such communications.

          I did see some pictures, a while ago, where some people dressed up as Tanu and the like to attend a Sci-fi Convention (can't remember where or when), but I have never heard of one dedicated to Julian May herself.  Whilst she has sold loads of copies, I'm not sure she has that wide an appeal (despite being light-years ahead of any Trek rubbish, <cough> sorry you Trekkies...)?

          Cheers

          Padraig

          Message Received: Aug 20 2005, 02:45 PM

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 23, 2005
            Padraig
            Interesting question about the respective might of the individual
            characters.I think we could discount Nodonn as a minor power as far
            as it goes,because even though he was by far the most powerful
            personage prior to the coming of group green,he still wouldnt stack
            up against a grand master.You may remember that he got Cloud to
            redactively subdue the humans in the Vale of Hyenas when they made
            off with the 2 aircraft.Why get someone else to do it,especially a
            hated human,if he could do it himself.
            I think it is safe to assume that Aiken is a Paramount Grand Master
            in Coercion,Creativity and Phsycokinesis(I'm sure that is spelt
            wrong)'for 3 reasons
            1)Elizabeth told Hagen and Cloud that his(Aiken's)coercion was
            entirely capable of cancelling out any attempt by Marc to coerce them
            and we know that Marc is a Paramount in coercion.
            2)Aiken's ability to make tangable matter from nothing seems to have
            only been possible to do by the other paramounts namely Marc,Jack and
            Diamond.
            3)Aiken's solo levitation of 900 knights,their steeds and 27 aircraft
            at the opening of the grand tourney.
            As far as your question about the metaconcert,I'm afraid I've never
            given it much thought.
            Your name sounds Irish so if you are in Dublin give me a shout,we can
            go for a drink and discuss it.Maybe we can start our own Exiles
            convention.
            Paul.

            --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Padraig Timmins

            Service.
          • Padraig Timmins
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005

              Paul

              I'd agree with you on Aiken Drum.  Definately a Paramount in Psychokinesis and Coercian.  Not sure about the Creativity, but almost certainly at least Grandmaster.  In Farsensing too.  I was always a bit annoyed that Aiken could measure up to Marc.  Not even sure he would have HAD to measure up either, as the key times they met, there were always others around Aiken who could have helped him out.  He may have measured up in Creativity terms after his subsumations of Nodonn and Mercy though.  I always position Marc and Aiken in the following order, depending on the point in the story, in overall power:

              Marc unburned (i.e.: pre-confrontation with Felice)
              Aiken post subsumations / Marc brain burned (i.e.: post confrontation with Felice)
              Aiken per subsumations

              I am fairly sure that Marc exists the regen tank after the Felice confrontation before he is fully recovered, which is why I have detailed an unbrainburnt version.  I’m not saying that there would be much to choose between an unburned Marc and a sup’ed up Aiken, but I think Marc would have the edge.  Not only in raw power terms, but also because he had the training, which was the key thing Aiken lacked.

              And the training is one of the MAJOR factors here.  After all, despite Felice being MUCH more power than Marc mono-e-mono, he was able to force her from the CE-Rig in a mind to mind confrontation.  Ok she would then have toasted him if it hadn’t been for the X-Ray lasers ready to carve her up, but I think this act by Marc really shows how much of an advantage the right training had in eeking out every watt of power from your armamentum.

              Agree on the Nodonn front too, although I think Minannon was a match for him, as I think the books are far from clear as to whether or not they actually had a fighting confrontation when Nodonn became Battlemaster.  And the Pliocene companion doesn’t help either.

              Just coming back to Aiken’s Creativity, I remember him changing the surface silver of a Silver Torc to gold, but I don’t remember him creating stuff out of nothing?

              Sadly Paul, I live in Portsmouth, despite being of Irish descent.  However, if I am ever in Dublin (which I have visited once, but both my wife and I would love to see again) and I have the time I will drop you a message and get together.

              Cheers

              Padraig

            • Andy Donovan
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                I'm looking to replace my old and very worn out collection of the whole series, but can only see piecemeal offerings on amazon etc .. any thoughts were I could purchase the entire set?

                Thanks/

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                  Padraig,
                  My own personal feeling is that there never was a confrontation
                  between Nodonn and Minnanon and yes the books are quite vague on this
                  issue.
                  Dont you remember that during the exodus to Nionel for the Grand
                  Tourney,a flyer appeared and gave a demonstration of marksmanship and
                  then formed up with others.Small containers rained out of the flyer
                  and when broken open revealed tidbits.Now I suppose these could have
                  been filled back at base but some spectators fondly rembered Mercy
                  which suggests they were created.Anyway just my 2 cents worth.
                  Does your wife share you're passion for the story?When I suggested to
                  mine that she read them she thought it was the greatest load of
                  rubbish and went back to her Hello magazine.

                  <timmypaddins@f...> wrote:
                  > Paul
                  > I'd agree with you on Aiken Drum. Definately a Paramount in
                  Psychokinesis and Coercian. Not sure about the Creativity, but
                  almost certainly at least Grandmaster. In Farsensing too. I was
                  always a bit annoyed that Aiken could measure up to Marc. Not even
                  sure he would have HAD to measure up either, as the key times they
                  met, there were always others around Aiken who could have helped him
                  out. He may have measured up in Creativity terms after his
                  subsumations of Nodonn and Mercy though. I always position Marc and
                  Aiken in the following order, depending on the point in the story, in
                  overall power:
                  > Marc unburned (i.e.: pre-confrontation with Felice)
                  > Aiken post subsumations / Marc brain burned (i.e.: post
                  confrontation with Felice)
                  > Aiken per subsumations
                  > I am fairly sure that Marc exists the regen tank after the Felice
                  confrontation before he is fully recovered, which is why I have
                  detailed an unbrainburnt version. I’m not saying that there would
                  be much to choose between an unburned Marc and a sup’ed up Aiken,
                  but I think Marc would have the edge. Not only in raw power terms,
                  but also because he had the training, which was the key thing Aiken
                  lacked.
                  > And the training is one of the MAJOR factors here. After all,
                  despite Felice being MUCH more power than Marc mono-e-mono, he was
                  able to force her from the CE-Rig in a mind to mind confrontation.
                  Ok she would then have toasted him if it hadn’t been for the X-Ray
                  lasers ready to carve her up, but I think this act by Marc really
                  shows how much of an advantage the right training had in eeking out
                  every watt of power from your armamentum.
                  > Agree on the Nodonn front too, although I think Minannon was a
                  match for him, as I think the books are far from clear as to whether
                  or not they actually had a fighting confrontation when Nodonn became
                  Battlemaster. And the Pliocene companion doesn’t help either.
                  > Just coming back to Aiken’s Creativity, I remember him changing
                  the surface silver of a Silver Torc to gold, but I don’t remember
                  him creating stuff out of nothing?
                  > Sadly Paul, I live in Portsmouth, despite being of Irish descent.
                  However, if I am ever in Dublin (which I have visited once, but both
                  my wife and I would love to see again) and I have the time I will
                  drop you a message and get together.
                  > Cheers
                  > Padraig
                • Ed Landis
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                    You could try a B. Dalton or Waldens or just about any bookstore and see if they can order them for you...It may cost a bit more then Amazon, but sometimes you have to pay extra in order to ensure that you get what you want...You can also try the Science Fiction Book Club...I know that they have all of the books...In fact, it was their omnibus edition of TMCL and TGT that got me started myself...Of course, those editions aren't the most durable and if you are anything like me, you tend to read your books to rags...esp the most beloved ones.  I hope this helps you some...take care and high thoughts and all that stuff!

                    Ed
[...]

                  • Christopher McChesney
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                      I just bought a set of the exiles paperbacks on Ebay for about $11.00. Ebay, is there nothing it can't do??

                      The Lone Spyder

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 26, 2005
                        hahaha...Oh dear paul.

                        My sympathies. My husband thinks ALL fiction is rubbish and only reads motorbike/plumbing/Screwfix catalogues. Still, got eldest son hooked on Julian May. He has stole both my Pliocene and Millieu series books and has just moved onto my Rampart World series.

                        Regards Helen

                        <timmypaddins@f...> wrote:
                        > Paul
                        > I'd agree with you on Aiken Drum.  Definately a Paramount in
                        Psychokinesis and Coercian.  Not sure about the Creativity, but
                        almost certainly at least Grandmaster.  In Farsensing too.  I was
                        always a bit annoyed that Aiken could measure up to Marc.  Not even
                        sure he would have HAD to measure up either, as the key times they
                        met, there were always others around Aiken who could have helped him
                        out.  He may have measured up in Creativity terms after his
                        subsumations of Nodonn and Mercy though.  I always position Marc and
                        Aiken in the following order, depending on the point in the story, in
                        overall power:
                        > Marc unburned (i.e.: pre-confrontation with Felice)
                        > Aiken post subsumations / Marc brain burned (i.e.: post
                        confrontation with Felice)
                        > Aiken per subsumations
                        > I am fairly sure that Marc exists the regen tank after the Felice
                        confrontation before he is fully recovered, which is why I have
                        detailed an unbrainburnt version.  I’m not saying that there would
                        be much to choose between an unburned Marc and a sup’ed up Aiken,
                        but I think Marc would have the edge.  Not only in raw power terms,
                        but also because he had the training, which was the key thing Aiken
                        lacked.
                        > And the training is one of the MAJOR factors here.  After all,
                        despite Felice being MUCH more power than Marc mono-e-mono, he was
                        able to force her from the CE-Rig in a mind to mind confrontation.
                        Ok she would then have toasted him if it hadn’t been for the X-Ray
                        lasers ready to carve her up, but I think this act by Marc really
                        shows how much of an advantage the right training had in eeking out
                        every watt of power from your armamentum.
                        > Agree on the Nodonn front too, although I think Minannon was a
                        match for him, as I think the books are far from clear as to whether
                        or not they actually had a fighting confrontation when Nodonn became
                        Battlemaster.  And the Pliocene companion doesn’t help either.
                        > Just coming back to Aiken’s Creativity, I remember him changing
                        the surface silver of a Silver Torc to gold, but I don’t remember
                        him creating stuff out of nothing?
                        > Sadly Paul, I live in Portsmouth, despite being of Irish descent.
                        However, if I am ever in Dublin (which I have visited once, but both
                        my wife and I would love to see again) and I have the time I will
                        drop you a message and get together.
                        > Cheers
                        > Padraig

                      • Padraig Timmins
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 26, 2005

                          My own personal feeling is that there never was a confrontation
                          between Nodonn and Minnanon and yes the books are quite vague on this
                          issue.
                          Dont you remember that during the exodus to Nionel for the Grand
                          Tourney,a flyer appeared and gave a demonstration of marksmanship and
                          then formed up with others.Small containers rained out of the flyer
                          and when broken open revealed tidbits.Now I suppose these could have
                          been filled back at base but some spectators fondly rembered Mercy
                          which suggests they were created.Anyway just my 2 cents worth.

                          Mmmm, I had forgotten this and many other things.  I am currently re-reading all the Julian May Pliocene and Milieu books, starting with Intervention and the Milieu ones.  Now on Diamond Mask.  When I get to the Pliocene lot, I will pay closer attention to Aiken post-subsumation.

                          Does your wife share you're passion for the story?When I suggested to
                          mine that she read them she thought it was the greatest load of
                          rubbish and went back to her Hello magazine.

                          Sadly I KNOW my wife would have much the same reaction.  She thinks Tolkien and all the other Sci-fi and Fantasy books I read are weird, and that I am to.  Personally I think those works of art, and running around the woods hitting wearing chain armour and people (mostly friends as well) with swords and axes, is the behaviour of a totally sane and normal person <cough>.

                          Cheers

                          Padraig

                        • Jabberwocky1469
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 27, 2005
                            ...oh, well, I really do not know if I should tell you this, but lately I am really hooked up with some internet game called   MU,  something like dungeons and dragons but I think with more post modern.......called me old fashioned, but I am still embarrased of  this confesion.......

                            Jabberwocky

                            Padraig Timmins <timmypaddins@...> escribió:

[...]

                            Correo Yahoo!

                          • Maurice Thomas
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 31, 2005
                              I remember putting together a really terrible spreadsheet back in about
                              1990 that generated a MCL psychic based on choices made regarding race,
                              raw stats, sanity and so forth. It was truly awful.

                              Was the "order of magnitude" thing a discussion had in NBK regarding
                              Felice? I barely recall - the phrase rings a bell - but I think we're
                              supposed to take the analogy of stars in the sky and how brightly they
                              burn, where the magnitude equation is unhelpfully inverse, but crucially
                              logarithmic, in that a magnitude 1 star is 100 times brighter than a
                              magnitude 6 one, giving a non-linear scale of improvement.

                              For the sake of the game you're running, I'd try to keep the maths as
                              simple as possible and ignore the precise inferences to be had from the
                              books - since you aren't going to be recreating the same scenarios
                              anyway, the system doesn't need to be able to replicate them.

                              What I eventually settled on after ditching the spreadsheet was a
                              percentage skill in each of the five disciplines, plus a sixth defensive
                              rating which was the average of the skills / 5 (unless the player chose
                              to train in defensive manoeuvres). For metaconcerts (extremely rare,
                              mind you) I added together the relevant discipline(s) of all those
                              contributing to the concert, plus the Metaconcert skill of the "director".

                              Thus, if I presented the players with a tree blocking their way, I'd
                              assign maybe a 60% difficulty to PK-ing the thing out of the way, or an
                              80% difficulty for chopping it creatively into bits. Given a relatively
                              weak PK adept with 20% skill, a roll of the dice would be required to
                              get the thing out of the way - anything above 39% on the dice would
                              work. Someone with 90% in creativity would not be asked to roll dice -
                              and would not be fatigued by the task either. Naturally, the group
                              which chose to walk round the tree and do nothing psychic would gain the
                              most plaudits.

                              As with most RPG settings, I think the trick is to not let your players
                              know what the rules actually are. Once you let them know that a 60% in
                              redaction makes them harder than Cullucket, you will forever be shackled
                              by that. It doesn't hurt for the players to have ability sheets
                              detailing their own numbers - that keeps the interest going - but since
                              you know damn well that whatever they end up facing will be just that
                              bit too hard for them to defeat outright regardless of how powerful they
                              are, then why publish the rules?

                              Wing it - it saves on agonising. I had two players who successfully
                              set up a farsense metaconcert not because they (the characters) knew
                              anything about metaconcerts, but more because they described how they
                              were both having these weird dreams at the same time, and then
                              bullshitted me further with visions they felt they were having, and then
                              when the day came the "principal" in the concert started talking in
                              BLOCK CAPITALS LIKE MARC IN DIAMOND MASK. This made me laugh, which
                              meant of course they were able to farsense past the evil human guards
                              and work out the password for the day into the castle.

                              Long winded return - sorry about that

                              Cheers

                              Maurice

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 1, 2005

                                Nice one Maurice!

                                I’m with you on keeping things as simple as possible, that’s why the few Pliocene and Milieu games I have run have been totally freeform.  The few Milieu games I ran at University had no rules at all, just a group of players who knew next to nothing about the setting, and had to discover their metapsychic powers on their own.  The only figures I used were giving them a Order of Magnitude score in each power, of varying levels, so I could have some idea of how they measured up to each other and anyone they may come across.  All the other necessary variables that normally go into making an RPG character (Strength, Agility, etc) were dealt with in a peculiar way, as I made them play themselves.  And since we all knew each other and had ‘some’ idea of how strong, fast and bright we were, it made for some good role-playing.

                                The Pliocene games I ran had a touch more structure.  Basically the metapsychic powers were ran the same as above, but the players/characters themselves (still playing themselves) had basic characteristics, such as Physical, Mental and Social, and underneath each of these they had Strength, Stamina and Agility, so nine in total.  Then each of these was rated from Very Poor, to Poor, to Average, to Good, to Very Good.  This gave a fair amount of combinations, but allowed for some fairly easy and immediate understanding of how the players measured up against each other and NPC’s.  They also had a variety of skills that were rated on the same scale.

                                One thing I did add to the metapsychic powers was a characters “Finesse” with a specific power.  To my mind there are two key issues relating to how powerful or good one could be with any one of the specific metapsychic powers.  How strong you are - i.e.: your Order of Magnitude (OOM), and how good you are at using it, in the case of the games I ran, your “Finesse” with the power.

                                OOM was rated on the 1-1500 scale that Julian uses, with, I presume, even Grand Masters generally not getting much higher than 300 or so.  Of course there are exceptions, such as the Paramount Grand Masters and people like Felice.

                                Finesse was rated on a scale of 1-100, with the upper limit for Master class being about 50, the upper limit for Grand Masters being about 75, and Paramount’s potentially achieving 100.  Finesse was very much a measure of how good the individual was with using their power, and how good they were a squeezing every erg of power they could from their OOM, or how fine their manipulation was of the power.

                                Aiken, for all his power and intellect, just seemed to use his powers very bluntly, because he lacked serious training, although I would be willing to concede that his natural intelligence probably placed him at the equivalent of Master Class Finesse.

                                Marc Remillard, on the other hand, was a Paramount, due to having had the very best training available, and there was simply no contest between him and Aiken in terms of how well they could use the power available to them.

                                One just has to remember how Elizabeth, clearly far, far below Felice in her raw power potential, was able to slip a mind screen into place and simply stop Felice’s Coercion in its tracks.  This raises the issue of defensive capabilities that you have mentioned, and I have not really thought about yet.

                                Anyway, as I said, I’m totally with you on keeping things as simple as possible.  For me this means keeping game play simple and fast.  Background work, and using stuff (like computers) to speed up complex stuff, can be a complicated as one likes, so long as it doesn’t adversely effect game play too much.

                                Which is one of the problems I have with the spreadsheet I have designed to understand how the OOM’s relate to each other, and how Metaconcerts work.  My spreadsheet is horrible, using all sorts of calculations to try and build a reasoned, rational, and yet workable method of calculating how the various powers of the various persons meld together to get an output that is greater than the input, in relative terms.  I think I have done it, and it only requires things like the participants OOM’s to be input, but when I think about the calculations I have had to build to get a figure out the other end I go into a cold sweat.

                                Oh well, sorry for the length (if indeed anyone gets this far).

                                Cheers

                                Padraig

                                Message Received: Aug 31 2005, 11:47 PM
                                From: "Maurice Thomas"
                                To: Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com

> [...]

                                > herself.  Whilst she has sold loads of copies, I'm not sure she has
                                > that wide an appeal (despite being light-years ahead of any Trek
                                > rubbish, sorry you Trekkies...)?
                                >
                                > Cheers
                                >

                                > Padraig
                                >
                                >     ========================================
                                >     Message Received: Aug 20 2005, 02:45 PM
                                >     From: "Paul Fitzpatrick"
                                >     To: Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com
                                >     Subject: [Julian-May-discuss] Everybody is very quiet lately..
                                >
                                >     Hello everyone,
                                >     Just back from holidays and was looking foreward to some action on
                                >     the
                                >     site only to find diddly squat(as you Americans are so fond of
                                >     saying,or have you moved on from that?)
                                >     Has anybody here ever met JM,or has there ever been an exiles
                                >     convention like they have for Trekies?

                                >     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

                              • edkinsr
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 21, 2005
                                  Hi there!

                                  I'm currently running a Pliocene Exile RPG so interested in this
                                  discussion.

                                  When I put my game together earlier this year, I thought of using D20
                                  3.5 Psionics or GURPS, but eventually decided that the crunchier
                                  systems weren't going to give me the feel I wanted.

                                  In the end I've cobbled together a fairly simple system using FUDGE,
                                  which is more narrative based and suits the group I'm playing with.

                                  I have a pretty good knowledge of the books and with my trusty
                                  Pliocene Companion by my side, I find this is pretty much all I need.

                                  I tried snail-mailing Julian May some months ago, using an address I
                                  got from the owner of a fan-site (sorry can't recall which one at the
                                  moment). I was after some quality larger scale copies of the maps
                                  from the books for my game. I haven't had any response as yet.

                                  If anyone is interested in looking at what I have, drop me a line
                                  here.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Rob

                                  --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Maurice Thomas
                                  <maurice@m...> wrote:
> [...]
                                  > > or when), but I have never heard of one dedicated to Julian May
                                  > > herself. Whilst she has sold loads of copies, I'm not sure she
                                  has
                                  > > that wide an appeal (despite being light-years ahead of any Trek
                                  > > rubbish, <cough> sorry you Trekkies...)?
                                  > >
                                  > > Cheers
                                  > >

                                  > > Padraig

                                  > > Message Received: Aug 20 2005, 02:45 PM
                                  > > From: "Paul Fitzpatrick"
                                  > > To: Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com
                                  > > Subject: [Julian-May-discuss] Everybody is very quiet lately..
                                  > >
                                  > > Hello everyone,
                                  > > Just back from holidays and was looking foreward to some
                                  action on
                                  > > the
                                  > > site only to find diddly squat(as you Americans are so fond of
                                  > > saying,or have you moved on from that?)
                                  > > Has anybody here ever met JM,or has there ever been an exiles

                                  subject=Unsubscribe>

                                  ------

                                • Danny Grimes
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 22, 2005
                                    To All-

                                    This is great! So many folks working on their own games.

                                    I am currently working on my Metapsychic Game....53 pages in and
                                    counting. We are starting the campaign in the future of the
                                    Pliocene...20 years after the children's exodus back to the Milieu.
                                    Marc and Elizabeth are safely in the Duat Galaxy and the Lord of
                                    Misrule is still on the throne. Memories of the Nightfall War are
                                    fading in the new generation and there is still a bevy of intrigue and
                                    adventure to be had in the distant past.

                                    I stopped worrying about the mechanics weeks ago and am trying to just
                                    get a cool setting together along with maps and other assorted
                                    materials. Mechanics just need to "reflect" the book to have the
                                    right flavor and I am certain that I can get something roughly
                                    approximate once I am farther down the road.

                                    As with most RPGs the real fun happens at the low to mid levels...for
                                    both player and GM. The folks with all the watts will turn up as NPCs
                                    for the most part.

                                    Looking to start a campaign following the holidays. Just wrapping a
                                    couple of campaigns with the regular players before we dive in. I
                                    will keep folks posted off thread if they are interested.

                                    PS-Those that are interested in better Pliocene Maps let me know and I
                                    will send the full color versions that I am cracking out(should be
                                    done in the US holiday season barring the unforeseen).

                                    Later
                                    --
                                    Danny Grimes, Partner
                                    Band of Eight Productions

                                    4228 North 95th Street
                                    Wauwatosa, WI 53222

                                    --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "edkinsr" <edkinsr@y...>

                                  • edkinsr
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 22, 2005
                                      Hi Danny,

                                      My game is set 2 years prior to the events narrated in the Pliocene
                                      novels. (Which makes it about 2 years after Madame G. arrived in the
                                      Pliocene.

                                      It's kind of a watershed period, with a lot building up, socially and
                                      politically.

                                      What are you using for the maps?

                                      I have scanned the first two maps into jpgs and traced them into
                                      Fractal Mapper 7.

                                      I have laysers for Geography, Tanu, Firvulag, Outlaw humans and of
                                      course the 'ol GM secrets layer.