Lylmik Origin

  • alixnc
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2005
      I just finished "The Adversary," and Marc and Elizabeth left for
      the Duat Galaxy and an educative "challenge without end" among the
      11,000 planets with torc-wearing peoples who were then (Pliocene time)
      held back from both true coadjunation and true operancy by their
      torcs.
      We're left with the conclusion that Marc and Elizabeth, then Marc
      alone, led the NATURAL evolution of these peoples into the airy
      beings who became the ancient if absent-minded originators of
      the Galactic Milieu. But by the time of the Intervention, and for
      eons before, the Lylmik were evolved far beyond even Jack.
      Mark/Family Ghost/Unifex cannot reveal himself fully to Rogi on
      demand because it would cost Rogi his sanity, so he appears instead
      as "what I was" == i.e., Marc Remillard.
      Marc/Unifex is the end product of Homo superior, the next step in
      human evolution, and he and the Lylmik are far more powerful and
      complex beings than either Jack or Marc's tragically flawed "Mental
      Man" (Remember that Fury was Marc'slongtime tutorin this concept). It
      seems interesting, too, that at the very last, Marc admonishes the
      other four Lylmik of the ruling council to learn to live in their
      human bodies full time, thus extending the lives of at least four
      members of this dying race, which has become all but totally
      separated from biological manifestation. He has gained the fully
      realized love of the natural and evolving human state of the
      Milieu era that he lacked for so long.
      JM seems to be dealing here with the philosophical dead end (or
      satirizing it?) of the mind-body ideological nonsense dear to so many
      in the 19th century. The context here is NATURAL vs. UNNATURAL man.
      Any thoughts on this?

      Still persisting,
      alix

      P.S. Might one of you obliging souls in the UK tell us a bit about
      the new Doctor Who? We are criminally deprived in the US, for Heaven
      only knows how long, boo hoo.
    • OLIVER MUNDY
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 26, 2005
        "We're left with the conclusion that Marc and Elizabeth, then Marc alone,
        led the NATURAL evolution of these peoples [the Duat races] into the airy
        beings who became the ancient if absent-minded originators of the Galactic
        Milieu." (Alix)

        It seems both attractive and logical to suppose that the people of
        Duat - who, as I mentioned recently, are in some sense the founding fathers
        of Unification - should have evolved into the doyens of the Milieu; and yet
        I for one share Padraig Timmins's sense that the identification will not
        stand. I am sure we are told somewhere (perhaps in 'Diamond Mask', which
        I cannot refer to at present) that Unifex 'found' the Lylmik and took on
        their likeness some considerable time after his Duat work had come to an
        end - which of course implies that the Lylmik are entirely separate from the
        Duat races.

        Could it be that the obstacle to including the Duat peoples within
        the Milieu was simply one of physical distance? We know that no living
        creature has an unlimited 'displacement factor' tolerance and that the two
        dualities which made the journey between Duat and Earth - Brede and her
        Ship, and Marc and Elizabeth - were strained to the utmost (or beyond it in
        the case of the Ship), despite being borne up by exceptional power and
        equally exceptional motivation. It may be, therefore, that although the
        Milieu embraces literally astronomical tracts of space, it cannot encompass
        the whole of creation.

        Oliver Mundy.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 26, 2005

          Oliver Mundy wrote-
                   It seems both attractive and logical to suppose that the people of
          Duat - who, as I mentioned recently, are in some sense the founding fathers
          of Unification - should have evolved into the doyens of the Milieu;  and yet
          I for one share Padraig Timmins's sense that the identification will not
          stand.    I am sure we are told somewhere (perhaps in 'Diamond Mask', which
          I cannot refer to at present) that Unifex 'found' the Lylmik and took on
          their likeness some considerable time after his Duat work had come to an
          end - which of course implies that the Lylmik are entirely separate from the
          Duat races.

          He's quite right, I remember that too and although I had suspected that the Lylmik were the evolved people of Duat for some time JM's writing precludes this from being the case, unless she's lying to us!

        • alixnc
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2005
            Munch, munch ... ewwww ... nasty eating, those black feathered
            beasties. Thanks for the handily specific reference on Lylmik
            galactic address, Anna, and of course you are right about
            Marc/Unifex first encountering the Lylmik after his solo return to
            the Milky Way. Oliver and the Padster, too. :-}
            It seems safe to assume that since Marc/Unifex's earliest encounter
            with the Lylmik predates their Unification, and Marc had already
            experienced Unity in the Duat Galaxy, he evolved along with them, as
            their leader, into the race of unfathomably complex and powerful
            beings revealed to us in Intervention and the Milieu Trilogy. As to
            their ultimate origin, the Lylmik plead absent-mindedness, and JM
            isn't telling ... pbbbbthhhhhh!! One is tempted to get even: How
            about a nifty new subtitle for the five Milieu books, 'The Quincunx
            and the Quidnunc'? Or pointing out that, since the Pliocene started
            much closer to five, not six, million years ago, it should be 'The
            Saga of Miocene Exile'?
            Agraynel? Who knows? ... but Aiken Drum is the best pick for a bit
            of naughty humor, since it means she would also being marrying Mummy
            and Daddy.
            Still persisting,
            alix