New convert - what do I tell my husband?

  • felicejayne
    Message 1 of 6 , May 25, 2005
      Hello! I'm new to tbis group & I'm hoping to be able to discuss a lot
      of things in depth, after I re-read the saga. I read the saga of the
      exiles over 10 years ago & have just ordered the books again &
      convinced my husband that he must read them 'cos they're so good.

      My problem is that the first book I read was The Golden Torc (bought
      from a 2nd hand book shop because of the way the cover looked) & I
      doubt that The Many Coloured Land could have got me hooked in the same
      way. In fact, if I'd read TMCL first, I doubt I would have persevered
      wiwth the series.

      What do I do? Should I give him TMCL first or TGC?

      Cheers!
      Message 2 of 6 , May 26, 2005
        Hello and welcome to the group. :-)

        There's no doubt about it, you have to start with TMCL instead of TGT.
        Sure, the first book is a bit 'wordy' but I know that once I got into
        it I was away.

        If you just want to give your husband a taste of the whole series you
        could consider giving him 'Intervention' to read since that can be
        seen as a stand-alone book in itself...

        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "felicejayne"
        <lmcdevitt@t...> wrote:
        > Hello! I'm new to tbis group & I'm hoping to be able to discuss a lot
        > of things in depth, after I re-read the saga. I read the saga of the
        > exiles over 10 years ago & have just ordered the books again &
        > convinced my husband that he must read them 'cos they're so good.
        >
        > My problem is that the first book I read was The Golden Torc (bought
        > from a 2nd hand book shop because of the way the cover looked) & I
        > doubt that The Many Coloured Land could have got me hooked in the same
        > way. In fact, if I'd read TMCL first, I doubt I would have persevered
        > wiwth the series.
        >
        > What do I do? Should I give him TMCL first or TGC?
        >
        > Cheers!
      • JC Loach
        Message 3 of 6 , May 26, 2005
          Defintely TMCL first. I found the pre-time gate intro part very slow but was hooked from the moment we met Epona.

          Anyone who's not willing to read that far doesn't deserve the series. [Hi again]

          Message 4 of 6 , May 30, 2005
            Good idea!  "Intervention" is one of my favourite books.  I just love Rogi - and the whole murky Remillard saga.  Anyway, Felicejayne, that way your husband can decide whether he wants to find out the history of the saga (which is the inspiration of this group) or the future.  I read TMCL first and found it slow at the beginning but then got hooked - and I agree - Epone is the hook.  I know purists will be upset, but I prefer "Invervention"  and the post Intervention books.

            Cleomadjai

            wrote:
            > Hello! I'm new to tbis group & I'm hoping to be able to discuss a lot
            > of things in depth, after I re-read the saga. I read the saga of the
            > exiles over 10 years ago & have just ordered the books again &
            > convinced my husband that he must read them 'cos they're so good.
            >
            > My problem is that the first book I read was The Golden Torc (bought
            > from a 2nd hand book shop because of the way the cover looked) & I
            > doubt that The Many Coloured Land could have got me hooked in the same
            > way. In fact, if I'd read TMCL first, I doubt I would have persevered
            > wiwth the series.
            >
            > What do I do? Should I give him TMCL first or TGC?
            >
            > Cheers!

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/FIyolB/TM

          • felicejayne
            Message 5 of 6 , May 31, 2005
              Hi JC Loach, you're right - he'd better read them in the right order &
              if he's not hooked I've got you guys to enthuse with.

              Nicolette & Cleomadjai - I wish I'd been able to read Intervention
              when I tried it - I'll definitely have a shot at it again after I've
              re-read Saga of the Exiles. My problem is that I always thought Marc
              Remillard was a bit of a pillock - all that divorcing mind from body
              seemed really weak and repressed and Victorian somehow. I always felt
              it would have worked out better if Elizabeth and Mercy had swapped
              partners! If I make a special effort to get through Intervention, will
              I feel any more sympathy for Marc do you think? Also, I think I was
              mourning the death of the MCL too much last time I tried Intervention
              and missing the whole cosy Tanu / Tanu-subverted human set-up to get
              excited about anything new.

              Regards,
              Felicejayne
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
                Hi Felicejayne,

                I wish you luck in trying to read 'Intervention' again - although this
                book (and the Milieu series) focus on the dysfunctional (or should
                that be really dysfunctional?) Remillard family I still think it is a
                good read.

                It's hard to say if you will feel any more sympathy for Marc - it's
                one of those questions where people will say 'yes' and others say with
                equal conviction 'no'. My own opinion is that I feel that Marc is
                someone who eventually realises he was/is a pillock at times. True
                self-awareness doesn't automatically make people perfect, but it's a
                step in the right direction...