Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Casting

  • Ian J Greely
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 12, 2001
      On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 06:37:18 -0000, you wrote:

      >> What about Angelina Jolie for Felice?
      >
      >She has the right intensity! And looks great with white blond hair.

      Yes, that would work for me...

      >> Who would all of you want as a director?

      Kathryn Bigelow or Ridley Scott...

      Actually though I'd like a big Ridley Scott production I think Kathryn
      would be more authentic to that female perspective that May seems to
      work from.

      regards,
      Ian
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 12, 2001
        --- Michaela Bronstein <aenigmatica@...> wrote:
        Of course, there
        > is the age issue, and we
        > see Diamond much much less older than we do younger.
        > At the same time, when
        > she's younger we're seeing her at an age much
        > younger than *any* actress
        > that we know of.

        There is those few young femmes like Anna Paquin or Natalie Portman -
        petitie, fiesty but not over the top.

        > What about Angelina Jolie for Felice?

        She has the right intensity! And looks great with white blond hair.

        > >Victor - Joaquim Phoenix
        > I agree. Joaquim might also work for Hagen, who is
        > the same mixture of rage
        > and weakness that Commodus was in "Gladiator."

        Yes and similar pathological hangups over the father. They were a
        REALLY messed up family the Remillards, I can't think of any normal
        family situations among them. Every son hated his father....the only
        thing about Hagen is that I don't feel he was such a striking looking
        dark Remillard, more in Denis' mold I think.

        > Who would all of you want as a director?

        If only Stanley K were still around I think he would have done great
        with Intervention (though not good on pliocene saga). I think he would
        have been able to get the right intensity out of tormented Rogi and
        Don, and illustrated well the conflict in the second partof the book
        between the Sons of Earth and the MPs.

        And how do
        > you think some of the
        > more abstract scenes could be staged--for example,
        > the Dynasty's attempt at
        > the integration of Dennis and Fury?
        >
        > Michaela

        ILM would have a field day....it could end up looking a bit like
        'Tron' though I have a suspicion. I've always imagined that scene as
        like a vast dimension less black plain with webs and clusters of smoky
        light representing the MP energies. That is something that could be
        animated quit
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 12, 2001
          --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., Ian J Greely <ian@t...> wrote:
          > On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 06:37:18 -0000, you wrote:
          >

          > >> What about Angelina Jolie for Felice?
          > >
          > >She has the right intensity! And looks great with white blond hair.
          > >
          > Yes, that would work for me...

          *laugh*

          > >> Who would all of you want as a director?
          >
          > Kathryn Bigelow or Ridley Scott...
          >
          > Actually though I'd like a big Ridley Scott production I think
          Kathryn
          > would be more authentic to that female perspective that May seems to
          > work from.
          >
          > regards,
          > Ian

          Oh my god just two min ago when I sent that email with the comment
          about Tron I was thinking of the scenes in Strange Days (which Kathryn
          Bigelow directed) for scenes in a movie which captured what goes on
          inside your head. KB would be a definite good choice for the three
          milieu movies/books (she directed two of my all time faves, Strange
          Days and Point Break).
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 12, 2001
            > > We often go back and discuss that scene because
            > > (rousing humours aside) it is a key informative scene
            > > as to how much the Lylmik know and what the Lylmik
            > > are....Holly, do you have any feedback on the replies
            > > to your queries about Lylmik sexuality over the break?
            >
            > Sexuality? I always assumed they were asexual in someway. Is there
            > nothing definitive in any of May's books?
            >
            > Unifex

            There were several emails on the topic in Deecember, if you search in
            the archive for 'lylmik' 'lylmik sexuality' or 'lylmik procreation'
            you get a few messages pulled up. Unless you want to start a new
            thread, it is a fascinating topic!

          • Ian J Greely
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 13, 2001
              On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 06:59:03 -0000, you wrote:

              >--- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., Ian J Greely <ian@t...> wrote:

              >> >She has the right intensity! And looks great with white blond hair.
              >> >
              >> Yes, that would work for me...
              >
              >*laugh*

              *smile* Now where did I put that chocolate sauce... ?

              Though it occurs that if you had very good FX felice could be played
              by a more girlie actress. Someone like Natalie Portman.

              The really strange thing about felice being that all the power was
              mental. No physical aspect to it. It strikes me that having somone
              like Angelina would give the character to Felice but it might be more
              fun to watch it played deadpan.

              Felice is, after all, an adolescent girl perpetually. The power she
              has locks her in the retribution mode with little or no concept of
              altruism. Sort of a picture of what Lucille might have been given more
              power and less luck.

              To see a sweet and petite *monster* might be a very powerful image.

              "Off with his head."

              >> Kathryn Bigelow or Ridley Scott...
              >>
              >> Actually though I'd like a big Ridley Scott production I think
              >Kathryn
              >> would be more authentic to that female perspective that May seems to
              >> work from.
              >>
              >> regards,
              >> Ian
              >
              >Oh my god just two min ago when I sent that email with the comment
              >about Tron I was thinking of the scenes in Strange Days (which Kathryn
              >Bigelow directed) for scenes in a movie which captured what goes on
              >inside your head. KB would be a definite good choice for the three
              >milieu movies/books (she directed two of my all time faves, Strange
              >Days and Point Break).
              I watched Strange Days again a few days ago and they showed "Near
              Dark" on TV here over the weekend. Bigelow has a very deft hand a
              portraying women of will. Something that is rare in the movie
              industry.

              The May books have women as pivotal characters and being able to treat
              women of will (not to mention power) sensitively would be needed to
              stop the book becoming "Scanners V Star Wars." True to history May has
              women (and love) as catalyst for major dramatic movement in the story.

              There are very powerful women around the story but a male hegamony
              prevents them from having much effect until they pair with one of the
              main (male) protaganists. In a (written) story this is more easily
              done than in cinema... The movie could do with a few well fleshed out
              female characters like Bigelow has in Strange Days.

              regards,
              Ian
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 13, 2001
                >Though it occurs that if you had very good FX felice could be played
                >by a more girlie actress. Someone like Natalie Portman.

                The only problem with Angeline would be that she is so physically
                dominating and Felice is always, as you have mentioned, emphasised as
                being tiny and petite. Which is obviously where some of the scariness
                of her character comes from - that such violence could be fostered in
                such a delicate outer shell.
                Angelina looks the part but after all is going to be Lara Croft and
                suits that role perfectly. Lara is a much more traditional female
                macho - tall, glam, well built, tough as a man but still very much a
                woman. Felice is in a different mold, as you called her she is a
                'perpetual adolescent' which means an actress playing her would always
                have to play down the overtly sexual facets of being such a powerful
                huntress type femme. Felice is not a woman or a man and is too knowing
                to be a child - a difficult role to play.

                > The really strange thing about felice being that all the power was
                >mental. No physical aspect to it.

                Ummmm don't know if I agree there. She is always remarked upon as
                having a superhuman strength made even more daunting by her small
                stature. Though she does not dominate a scene or event by her physical
                stature but by her mental aspect (or malice or strength of character
                alternatively) she does still possess that unearthly strength. I am
                curious as to what would give rise to such strength. Would it be a
                mind over matter issue, or perhaps related to her altered pain
                circuits? If all of us had no fear of pain, or even welcomed it would
                we experience the same lifting of limitations upon our perceived
                strength or endurance? I think yes to a certain extent but maybe there
                is still something exceptional about Felice's strength e.g. in Arcadie
                when she breaks the arm of the fellow hockey player without much
                effort at all.
                Perhaps also it is simply that we do not expect to see a female have
                the same level of control over their body that Felice does and that
                perhaps this is a source of power for her too. If you look at someone
                like Bruce Lee, even in interviews you can see when he moves his hands
                justhow many muscles are moving, much like in talented musicians. The
                ability to manipulate what they have gives them a seemingly superhuman
                strength....

                > Sort of a picture of what Lucille might have been given more
                > power and less luck.

                That is a scary thought. I've always been very fond of Lucille and it
                is scary to think of her as being like that but not so different to
                imagine. Excellent comparision! You know though I think I have
                wondered at times that she didn't go off the edge when Rogi broke up
                her relationship with her doctor. She seemed so brittle by that point
                in the story that I could imagine her reacting in a very obsessive
                way, calling down fire in vengeance or some such.

                >I watched Strange Days again a few days ago and they showed "Near
                >Dark" on TV here over the weekend. Bigelow has a very deft hand a
                >portraying women of will. Something that is rare in the movie
                >industry.
                >There are very powerful women around the story but a male hegamony
                >prevents them from having much effect until they pair with one of the
                >main (male) protaganists. In a (written) story this is more easily
                >done than in cinema... The movie could do with a few well fleshed out
                >female characters like Bigelow has in Strange Days.

                Wow! I have to go away and think about this one