Group discussion - Adversarial Twins

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2005
      Hi Kate,

      Yes, that was something I noticed too when I was re-reading TMCL. JM
      definitely has a good twin / bad twin thread running through the whole
      series. Maybe she was saying that the human sibling rivalry in the
      latter series was an biological 'echo' of the emnity between their
      Tanu/Firvulag ancestors. Then again, maybe I'm just rambling!

      On 28/02/2005 6:44 a.m., Kate Dungan wrote:
      > With her powers Elizabeth is helping the twins to be born but is
      > puzzled as to why she could sense so much hatred between them.
      >

      > I'm reading the books again for the unteenth time, and I've noticed this
      > theme of adversarial twins...The Tanu baby and it's sibling, Marc and
      > Matthieu, and Don and Rogi. Don't know if it means anything at all, but
      > I thought it was interesting.
      >
      > Kate

      Living on Earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free trip
      around the sun.
    • benjawa1@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 21, 2005

        > Discussion Questions:
        >
        > - Do you think things would have changed for the better or for the
        > worse if Felice had got her hands upon a golden torc at this stage
        of
        > the story?

        This is really a tough question to answer. (It's been a while since I
        have read the book, but I promise to re-read the chapters tonight and
        make sure my comments are more accurate later) If my memory is
        correct, Felice hasn't undergone the really tremendous tourture that
        she receives later on in the books. So, I think that it could really
        go either way if a number of improbably conditions were to arise. I
        don't think that she would become some avenging angel and take out
        the entire Pilocene population and no matter how powerful she is she
        could never take on a fully enhanced Marc. That being said, I will
        have to agree with the other comments I have seen and say that it
        would be generally bad. Felice's personality realy precludes her
        being able to handle that kind of power unless there was someone
        around to reel her in and train her. And unless Marc was to realize
        the error of his ways before the end of the story, there isn't a mind
        that could do that. Well, if Aiken wasn't so nutters he might've been
        able to, but he hasn't really come into his power yet.

        > - If you were offered the chance to wear a golden torc that would
        > enhance the meta abilities you were suddenly told you had, would you
        > take it?

        Does the phrase Hell Yes mean anything? Hehe. To explain a bit
        further; At this time in the story, there really is no chance of
        getting back to the Melieu. There isn't a chance of going to a clinic
        that specializes in granting access to latent metabilities. (Wasn't
        that Cathrine's research/work before her husband was killed by the
        Hydra?) And, survival is everything at this point in the story. So
        finding and wearing a golden torc is just about the only thing that
        would keep a person safe and sound for the most part.