Galactic Mileau RPG + Operant Mechanics

  • daijin_desu
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
      Hi guys,
      I have been a fan Julian May's Galactic Mileau series for years now
      [and the [prequels and sequels] and have, since then, been looking
      for a role playing game campaign set in that era.

      I play D+D 3.5 Edition and, as I cannot find any [!!] previously made
      campaigns or rule systems, have begun to invent my own mechanics for
      Operant beings.

      Anyway, if any of you have anything with which to aid my in this
      looong quest could you let me know of it either on here, or at
      thoughtscape@...

      Also, if any of you are interested in a little roleplaying [D+D, D20.]
      let me know. I use OpenRPG. Makes it very easy for online gaming
      sessions.

      Cheers guys, and thanks.
      Michael
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2004
        Hi Michael,

        I've always thought myself that the Exile books would be a good choice
        for a roleplaying game, after all there are so many choices of
        characters to choose from. So far it doesn't seem to have occurred to
        people, so your best bet is to probably search through the 'net for any
        fan-created versions.

        Happy hunting.....

        On 4/12/2004 5:55 a.m., daijin_desu wrote:

        > Hi guys,
        > I have been a fan Julian May's Galactic Mileau series for years now
        > [and the [prequels and sequels] and have, since then, been looking
        > for a role playing game campaign set in that era.
        >
        > I play D+D 3.5 Edition and, as I cannot find any [!!] previously made
        > campaigns or rule systems, have begun to invent my own mechanics for
        > Operant beings.
        >
        > Anyway, if any of you have anything with which to aid my in this
        > looong quest could you let me know of it either on here, or at
        > thoughtscape@...
        >
        > Also, if any of you are interested in a little roleplaying [D+D, D20.]
        > let me know. I use OpenRPG. Makes it very easy for online gaming
        > sessions.
        >
        > Cheers guys, and thanks.
        > Michael

      • Ian Greely
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2004
          Hi Michael,

          Having played AD&D in the dim and distant past. You might try checking out
          the rules for psionics (sp?), which appear to approximate the whole
          concept of Meta Powers.

          As I recall, it is rather unfulfilling playing with them as the game
          becomes hide and seek between PC\NPC with PSI powers. The character with
          the largest psi available wins...

          Not unlike the rebellion in MAGNIFICAT; everything is then over in a
          single roll of the dice.

          regards,
          Ian

          On Sun, 5 December, 2004 10:34 pm, Nicolette Lewer said:

          > Hi Michael,
          >
          > I've always thought myself that the Exile books would be a good choice
          > for a roleplaying game, after all there are so many choices of
          > characters to choose from. So far it doesn't seem to have occurred to
          > people, so your best bet is to probably search through the 'net for any
          > fan-created versions.
          >
          > Happy hunting.....
          >

          > High Thoughts
          > - Nicolette :-)
          >
          > On 4/12/2004 5:55 a.m., daijin_desu wrote:
          >

          >> Hi guys,
          >> I have been a fan Julian May's Galactic Mileau series for years now
          >> [and the [prequels and sequels] and have, since then, been looking
          >> for a role playing game campaign set in that era.
          >>
          >> I play D+D 3.5 Edition and, as I cannot find any [!!] previously made
          >> campaigns or rule systems, have begun to invent my own mechanics for
          >> Operant beings.
          >>
          >> Anyway, if any of you have anything with which to aid my in this
          >> looong quest could you let me know of it either on here, or at
          >> thoughtscape@...
          >>
          >> Also, if any of you are interested in a little roleplaying [D+D, D20.]
          >> let me know. I use OpenRPG. Makes it very easy for online gaming
          >> sessions.
          >>
          >> Cheers guys, and thanks.
          >> Michael
          >>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ron
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2004
            I've played a lot of different RPG systems and never found on that would
            even roughly approximate the psionic abiliities About the closest you
            could come is the DC Heroes or Marvel Super Heroes game systems and I don't
            even know if these games are being published any more. I ran a freeform
            game that was based on the premis of Metapsychic abilties working in the
            "Real" world but it's on hiatus now.

            Ron

            > Having played AD&D in the dim and distant past. You might try checking out
            > the rules for psionics (sp?), which appear to approximate the whole
            > concept of Meta Powers.
            >
            > As I recall, it is rather unfulfilling playing with them as the game
            > becomes hide and seek between PC\NPC with PSI powers. The character with
            > the largest psi available wins...
            >
            > Not unlike the rebellion in MAGNIFICAT; everything is then over in a
            > single roll of the dice.
            >
            > regards,
            > Ian
            >
            > On Sun, 5 December, 2004 10:34 pm, Nicolette Lewer said:
            >>
            >> Hi Michael,
            >>
            >> I've always thought myself that the Exile books would be a good choice
            >> for a roleplaying game, after all there are so many choices of
            >> characters to choose from. So far it doesn't seem to have occurred to
            >> people, so your best bet is to probably search through the 'net for any
            >> fan-created versions.
            >>
            >> Happy hunting.....
            >>

            >> High Thoughts
            >> - Nicolette :-)
            >>
            >> On 4/12/2004 5:55 a.m., daijin_desu wrote:
            >>

            >>> Hi guys,
            >>> I have been a fan Julian May's Galactic Mileau series for years now
            >>> [and the [prequels and sequels] and have, since then, been looking
            >>> for a role playing game campaign set in that era.
            >>>
            >>> I play D+D 3.5 Edition and, as I cannot find any [!!] previously made
            >>> campaigns or rule systems, have begun to invent my own mechanics for
            >>> Operant beings.
            >>>
            >>> Anyway, if any of you have anything with which to aid my in this
            >>> looong quest could you let me know of it either on here, or at
            >>> thoughtscape@...
            >>>
            >>> Also, if any of you are interested in a little roleplaying [D+D, D20.]
            >>> let me know. I use OpenRPG. Makes it very easy for online gaming
            >>> sessions.
            >>>
            >>> Cheers guys, and thanks.
            >>> Michael
            >>>

            >> Yahoo! Groups Links

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Scott Nimmo
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2004
              I actually suspect that the Expanded Psionics Handbooks rules are
              inspired on Operant Psionics.
              Have a look at for the Standard Reference Docs.
              http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

              Contact me privately and I am will send you a draft of rules changes
              you need that are help replicate the power level without allowing
              Character Level to be such a problem.

              Reorder the power lists into Metacreativity, Psychokinetic, Redaction,
              etc. and you should be very close to d20 Operant rules.
              --
              regards,
              Scott Nimmo
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 8, 2004
                Hey Ian, thanks for replying.
                Yeah i played AD&D too aaagges ago. and just quietly, that version of
                psionics sucked. bigtime. lol. They have new rules out now but it
                still isnt anything on JM's idea. I'm working on a 'Mental
                Machinations' book lol which will hopefully cover it but I would like
                some other ideas.
                And you are completely right re person with the pargest psi wins.
                True. That fits so well with JMs series doesn't it lol. But. There is
                always someone stronger lol.

                Cheers
                Michael

                --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Greely" <ian@t...>