Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: Ironcrown Moon

  • Simon Marsh
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 12, 2004
      > Well, I've seen a good review for it in the Brit sci-fi mag SFX which is encouraging (the
      > book reviewers usually spot hokey 2nd-rate sword 'n sorcery books from a mile off).

      It is good, and for those that have to wait till Christmas (or even
      longer !) I don't think you'll be disappointed. Naturally though, I'm
      not about to spoil it for anyone and spill the beans on the plot.
      I'm such a tease B-)

      Still offering to post my spare copy to someone for the cost of postage...

      Cheers

      Simon
    • Cleomadjai
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 14, 2005
        Hi all, I have just read Ironcrown Moon.  I thought it was excellent.  Not quite the Remillard saga but still very good.  Has anyone else read it? What do you think?  I found it disconcerting the way you go from supporting some characters like Conrig, in the beginning of the Conquerer's Moon to being quite horrified by them by the end of IM.  And the way some 'people' aren't who they appear to be.  I have fears for Gossy too.

        The 'pain eaters' I think were once tax collectors and perhaps still are in this world.

        Well, let me know.

        Cleo

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 18, 2005
          Hi Cleo,

          Well, it's a new year already (looks around in bemusement to see where
          the holidays went).

          I haven't read Ironcrown Moon as yet but I do have it reserved at my
          local library. Although I really wasn't that impressed by the first
          book, I have heard various good things about the second one. Your
          opinion of it is surely a good sign as well <g>.

          Living on Earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free trip
          around the sun.

          On 14/01/2005 10:26 p.m., Cleomadjai wrote:
          > Hi all, I have just read Ironcrown Moon. I thought it was excellent.
          > Not quite the Remillard saga but still very good. Has anyone else read
          > it? What do you think? I found it disconcerting the way you go from
          > supporting some characters like Conrig, in the beginning of
          > the Conquerer's Moon to being quite horrified by them by the end of IM.
          > And the way some 'people' aren't who they appear to be. I have fears
          > for Gossy too.
          >
          > The 'pain eaters' I think were once tax collectors and perhaps still are
          > in this world.
          >
          > Well, let me know.
          >
          > Cleo

        • Cleomadjai
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 19, 2005
            Hi Nic, yes, I agree the first one was a bit dodgy - but I enjoyed the second one much more.  I read an interesting review on this site that encouraged me to ask Santa for the book for christmas and I'm glad I did.  Pity we live so far apart or I would lend it to you.   Now I can't wait for the 3rd - which I suspect will be called Blossom Moon by the amount of times that was mentioned.  But hurry and read it so we can discuss it without giving spoilers away.

            Cleo

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/FIyolB/TM

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 25, 2005
              Hi Cleo,

              I got 'Ironcrown Moon' from the library last week and have finished it.
              I can't say I'm tempted to actually buy it now but it was a better
              read than the first one and things certainly picked up towards the end.

              As always I think JM goes to incredible detail when she writes a story
              and it can be hard to point to characters and say they're 100% good / bad.

              I can see why you thought the third book would be Blossom Moon (grin).