Actors in May movies

  • Holly Atkinson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3 9:36 PM
      Hello everyone! Been a while since I posted my last (and first)
      message (sorry about my holiday slackness). Anyway, I've had a bit
      of a think about the whole actor issue for the *wistfully hopeful*
      future movies of the milieu trilogy, and come up with a few things:

      There is a great scene set in
      > a car park where Matt Damon and Ben Affleck have a
      > major altercation, and Ben ends up turning on Matt
      > saying 'I've heard that rant before!' Matt looks all
      > innocent but Ben continues 'I've heard that rant
      > before! The Star of Morning -' and the absolutely evil
      > turn that Matt takes is very Marc, The Angel of the
      > Abyss-like.

      Not to be pedantic (an unfortunate character trait of mine), but I do
      believe it was Ben who got all Abaddon-esque in that scene, and Matt
      who sort of started to look pathetic in an angel-of-death-kill-crush-
      destroy kind of way. Plus, I agree, he is somewhat ... vertically
      challenged for the role of Marc who is (according to Magnificat):

      "...196 cents tall and weighed more than a hundred kilos, having
      inherited the massive frame of some ancestral French-Canadian
      voyaguer", and goes on to say that he has "...powerful muscles, big
      hands, and a bull neck". I hate to think how the character would be
      degraded if either Arnie or Sly actually took the role, but
      physically, they're looking pretty appropriate.

      I agree that Rogi should also, if we're being strictly true to the
      narrative, be middle-aged and a bit droopy, but I think something
      that has to be considered is the whole immortality bit. It's all
      very well for we privileged few who have read and re-read these books
      to the point of memorisation (or am I just showing how tragic my life
      is? *g*) for all of our characters to go through something like a 140-
      odd year story arc without aging more than a couple of decades, but
      it's going to be seriously confusing to other movie-goers. Then
      again, profits wouldn't be such a problem if we could find a filthy
      rich May fan. Anybody know Bill Gates' email address? *g*

      This having been said, maybe some sort of compensation for the
      immortality genes should be included, so that Denis doesn't look
      younger than Paul (seriously confusing when you try to picture those
      family get-togethers, huh?).

      OK, so my thoughts about actors would be:

      Diamond - Jodi Foster (she's small, got seriously powerful eyes for
      after the mask is put on, and last but not least, is a fantastic
      actor)

      Paul - Dylan McDermott (I just had that thought, but he's a serious
      lady-killer, and appropriate for what Paul is supposed to look like)

      Rogi - Michael Douglas (I don't know what the movie's called, it
      hasn't been released in Australia yet I think, but he's middle-aged,
      unshaven, bumbling and wears a pink terrycloth dressing gown all the
      time - very Rogi-esque attire)

      Cyndia - Nicole Kidman (though if she was Cyndia, Marc would have to
      be VERY tall)

      Marc - a Baldwin, Alec maybe? (he's got that "massive voyageur"
      frame, a good actor, and can do that cold egotistical thing, and I
      think Casey Affleck would be a fantastic young Marc)

      Ti-Jean - Now this is a hard one, you have to balance perennial
      innocence with serious mental muscle ... James Spader does sound
      pretty good; John Cusack, except Jack is supposed to be blonde.

      Madeleine - Neve Campbell (scary looking, in my opinion)

      Lucille - how about that woman who does 'the weakest link'? *g* no, I
      don't know, a tough-shelled matriarch type; any suggestions?

      That's all I could think of for now, any suggestions or comments
      would be great! sorry about the 1500 pages of text, by the way *g*

      Holly
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4 5:40 PM
        --- Holly Atkinson <holly@...>
        > Not to be pedantic (an unfortunate character trait
        > of mine), but I do
        > believe it was Ben who got all Abaddon-esque in that
        > scene, and Matt
        > who sort of started to look pathetic in an
        > angel-of-death-kill-crush-
        > destroy kind of way.

        I have to agree that I was woefully wrong here!
        (obviously need to rewatch the series).

        > "...196 cents tall and weighed more than a hundred
        > kilos, having
        > inherited the massive frame of some ancestral
        > French-Canadian
        > voyaguer", and goes on to say that he has
        > "...powerful muscles, big
        > hands, and a bull neck".

        That's a pretty big character to fill, I haven't seen
        anyone yet that I recall who could fill this role.
        Because to be honest could an Arnie really carry of
        the intellectualism of Marc?

        > This having been said, maybe some sort of
        > compensation for the
        > immortality genes should be included, so that Denis
        > doesn't look
        > younger than Paul (seriously confusing when you try
        > to picture those
        > family get-togethers, huh?).

        Excellent point, just one of those concessions to the
        story which would have to be made I guess...

        > OK, so my thoughts about actors would be:
        >
        > Diamond - Jodi Foster (she's small, got seriously
        > powerful eyes for
        > after the mask is put on, and last but not least, is
        > a fantastic
        > actor)

        Wouldn't have picked her but yeah she would be good.
        Getting too old but I think, Diamond barely got into
        her thirties and most of the action was set on her
        late teen years in Callie.

        > Paul - Dylan McDermott (I just had that thought, but
        > he's a serious
        > lady-killer, and appropriate for what Paul is
        > supposed to look like)

        I just went and had a look at some dodgy pics of him
        and though I have never heard of him before he does
        kinds look like he's got 'the look'.

        > Rogi - Michael Douglas (I don't know what the
        > movie's called, it
        > hasn't been released in Australia yet I think, but
        > he's middle-aged,
        > unshaven, bumbling and wears a pink terrycloth
        > dressing gown all the
        > time - very Rogi-esque attire)

        Is that the Wonderboys? With Tobey Maguire and Frances
        MacDormand also? That was a great (if spun out) movie.
        But Michael Douglas doesn't seem lean and whippety
        enough for Rogi somehow though he definitely hit on
        the right vein of eccentricity with Grady Tripp.

        and I
        > think Casey Affleck would be a fantastic young Marc)

        Excellent! He doesn't have the bulk either but the
        thing is he can carry off the charisma, I can
        especially imagine him tearing around Orb, he plays a
        good deviant kid where his size wont matter.

        > Madeleine - Neve Campbell (scary looking, in my
        > opinion)

        I have always felt Maddy had to be a major glam girl -
        even along the lines of Catherine Zeta Jones, someone
        who looks great - supermodelish - in a lab coat,
        runners or an evening gown. Even comitting horrendous
        murder....

        > Lucille - how about that woman who does 'the weakest
        > link'? *g* no, I
        > don't know, a tough-shelled matriarch type; any
        > suggestions?

        Now you are scaring me! But, I have to warn you the
        woman who does Weakest Link in Australia (Morag from
        Home and Away) is nowhere near as scary as the woman
        they have in the UK. You almost cry just watching her!

        sorry about the 1500 pages of text,
        > by the way *g*
        >
        > Holly

        Thanks Holly, good to see you back online....are you
        at uni this year or are you taking a break?

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Avalon Myst
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4 9:19 PM
          --- Holly Atkinson
          <holly@...> wrote: >

          > Diamond - Jodi Foster (she's small, got
          > seriously powerful eyes for
          > after the mask is put on, and last but not
          > least, is a fantastic
          > actor)
          >
          > Paul - Dylan McDermott (I just had that
          > thought, but he's a serious
          > lady-killer, and appropriate for what Paul is
          > supposed to look like)
          >
          > Rogi - Michael Douglas (I don't know what the
          > movie's called, it
          > hasn't been released in Australia yet I think,
          > but he's middle-aged,
          > unshaven, bumbling and wears a pink terrycloth
          > dressing gown all the
          > time - very Rogi-esque attire)
          >
          > Cyndia - Nicole Kidman (though if she was
          > Cyndia, Marc would have to
          > be VERY tall)
          >
          > Marc - a Baldwin, Alec maybe? (he's got that
          > "massive voyageur"
          > frame, a good actor, and can do that cold
          > egotistical thing, and I
          > think Casey Affleck would be a fantastic young
          > Marc)
          >
          > Ti-Jean - Now this is a hard one, you have to
          > balance perennial
          > innocence with serious mental muscle ... James
          > Spader does sound
          > pretty good; John Cusack, except Jack is
          > supposed to be blonde.
          >
          > Madeleine - Neve Campbell (scary looking, in my
          > opinion)
          >
          > Lucille - how about that woman who does 'the
          > weakest link'? *g* no, I
          > don't know, a tough-shelled matriarch type; any
          > suggestions?
          - LOL!!!!

          I like your list Holly. I can see someone like
          Alec Baldwin as Marc.

          Avalon

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Michaela Bronstein
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5 5:36 PM
            Hello all,

            Fascinating suggestions are being tossed around!

            >Diamond - Jodi Foster (she's small, got seriously powerful eyes for after
            >the mask is put on, and last but not least, is a fantastic actor)
            I'd also love to see Jodie Foster; she's one of my favorite actresses and
            can be both vulnerable and strong. Of course, there is the age issue, and we
            see Diamond much much less older than we do younger. At the same time, when
            she's younger we're seeing her at an age much younger than *any* actress
            that we know of.

            I really can't think of a suitable Marc. Personally I've imagined him as a
            sort of a taller Al Pacino in the first two Godfather movies - the intensity
            of the Michael Corleone character really did echo Marc in my perception.
            Matt Damon is a great actor, but even when he's sinister (as in Talented Mr.
            Ripley) he is too sunny in looks. I've never seen Casey Affleck in anything.

            What about Angelina Jolie for Felice?

            >Victor - Joaquim Phoenix
            I agree. Joaquim might also work for Hagen, who is the same mixture of rage
            and weakness that Commodus was in "Gladiator."

            Who would all of you want as a director? And how do you think some of the
            more abstract scenes could be staged--for example, the Dynasty's attempt at
            the integration of Dennis and Fury?

            Michaela