Off Topic: Dune Roller, RSS and Aiken Redux

  • PD Whitener
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10 1:07 PM
      Will someone please ...

      (a) Tell me where I can find a copy of 'Dune Roller'? It seems to me
      this is essential reading for any JMD enthusiast, and I haven't a
      clue how to find it.
      and/or
      (b) Explain the practical value of RSS format?

      The search for the original Aiken Drum has taken on one rather comic
      aspect: It would seem that James Hogg, who cataloged the Jacobite
      tunes "Aiken Drum" and the commonly associated "Piper of Dundee," was
      a crony of Sir Walter Scott, and the name may well be an in-joke
      between the two of them. In his novel 'The Anitquarian,' Scott
      (himself an antiquarian frequently criticized by less celebrated and
      undoubtedly rather jealous antiquarian fellows), has his main
      character make casual reference to attending Aiken Drum's wedding.
      Some interesting implications there.
      Any comment? What say you, Sepiternity? ... and this time, if you
      include any Scots Gaelic in your answer, kindly provide a translation
      into English. Your point is well taken that there are those far
      better qualified than I to be speculating about the origin of Aiken
      Drum among the names of Gaelic antiquity (still, cognates are
      cognates, and up for grabs). The problem is that no one
      else seems willing to take the trouble -- and we could use a well-
      tuned Scottish ear on this hunt. Even JM left this one hanging
      (see 'A Pliocene Companion'.)

      BTW ... anyone sick to death of unreadable Celtic fonts like
      American Uncial should have a look at Michael Everson's new Loch
      Garman. He has designed (and used as a master typesetter) a
      remarkable collection of Celtic fonts, including a set of Ogham fonts
      suitable for scholarly use. His URL is www.evertype.com

      alix
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10 4:05 PM
        Hello,

        Well, I can help you with your first question......the story 'Dune Roller' can be found in the anthology 'The Great SF Stories 13: 1951 (Book 13 in the Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories series)'.

        Further info can be found at this link - http://books.fantasticfiction.co.uk/t0/t1132.htm

        I have a copy myself of the book - 'Dune Roller' is a good little thriller about a mysterious (and deadly?) object that has fallen to earth near a small town, and like JM's other work, you are aware that she knows quite a bit about geology etc when you read it. :-)