Re: Return from Kauai *sigh*

  • Robert Powell
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2, 2004
      Sweet mother of god that's cruel - did nobody remind him that
      Fletcher Christian visted those isles!

      Dammit I'd of made certain that the VHS or DVD of Mutiny on the
      Bounty was left on his desk anonymously every day until the beggar
      put in to Pearl Harbour at least!

      ("well shipmates, see where we will be going NEXT trip?") You could
      see the bikini-laden beaches without binoculars quite clearly.
      Sailors were thereatening to dive overboard and swim for shore! It
      was just another reason that Capt. J.T. Kelly ( Lt. Commander
      actually) was well and truely hated by all who served under him.
    • Robert Powell
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2004
        Hi Nic,

        well finally got all the photos back and am now collating them,
        again I'll forward any relevant ones to the group - I can't remember
        can members post photos or do we send them to one of the list moms
        (beloved of us all?) to post them for us?

        Big love to the group - come on worldwide group hug, you know you
        wan to.

        Bob

        > Hiya Bob,
        >
        > It sounds like you both had a great time in Hawaii - I will look
        forward to seeing the JM-
        > related photos you have to show. Coming back to work must seem
        quite a shock <g>.

        > It's a pity that Hawaii isn't quite the perfect paradise it seems.
        The remarks from the
        > insensitive Californians remind me of a similar story here in NZ -
        a farmer found his
        > cows had been shifted to another field by his neighbour (who had
        just moved from the
        > city) - the neighbour said the noise of the cows would have ruined
        his barbeque(!!).

        > High Thoughts
        > - Nicolette :-)

      • Robert Powell
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2004
          Clare - my beloved - has been working on me for about 12 months to
          emigrate. Personally I like Britain - unfashionable I know, but
          there it is - but she does make some good arguments.

          Hell I wouldn't of married her if she couldn't argue eloquently and
          positively!

          Well the upshot is that we are considering both Australia and New
          Zealand, we've got enough 'points', at least on paper, to do either.
          So my question is, which would offer the better chances to an IT
          based couple, in both work opportunities and standard of leaving. I
          know given the criminal and evil exchange rates that we'd be able to
          bring the best part of $200K NZ dollar with us, which is a bonus
          obviously but where would be the better place to investigate first.

          Complete cheek I know and fully expect Leda and Nic to come out
          fighting but enquiring minds need to know...

          regards

          Bob and Clare
        • Mike Vallender
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 3, 2004
            Hey Bob,

            ICT in Australia has had a lean couple of years, but starting to pick up. I
            am not sure about NZ.

            I think you would be hard pressed to find a better place to live than
            anywhere in Australia, I am pretty sure we have a lot more NZ people coming
            to Oz than the other way round (that ought to start things off).

            Cheers

            Mike

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4, 2004
              Hiya Bob,

              It's good to see you have the photos back <g> - I'm not 100% sure if you can post the
              photos on the site, but you're welcome to try. If you have trouble then send them to me
              and I will see what I can do.....

              Naturally I'm delighted to hear you are both thinking of emigrating Down Under - hey, it's
              not every country that can claim Antartica as a close neighbour <g>.

              However, while I would like to say New Zealand is a great place for IT jobs, it is quite
              common to hear of IT people here going to England because of the better pay.......

              On 2 Jul 2004 at 13:38, Robert Powell wrote:

              > Clare - my beloved - has been working on me for about 12 months to
              > emigrate. Personally I like Britain - unfashionable I know, but
              > there it is - but she does make some good arguments.
              >
              > Hell I wouldn't of married her if she couldn't argue eloquently and
              > positively!
              >
              > Well the upshot is that we are considering both Australia and New
              > Zealand, we've got enough 'points', at least on paper, to do either.
              > So my question is, which would offer the better chances to an IT
              > based couple, in both work opportunities and standard of leaving. I
              > know given the criminal and evil exchange rates that we'd be able to
              > bring the best part of $200K NZ dollar with us, which is a bonus
              > obviously but where would be the better place to investigate first.
              >
              > Complete cheek I know and fully expect Leda and Nic to come out
              > fighting but enquiring minds need to know...
              >
              > regards
              >
              > Bob and Clare
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Nicolette Lewer
              Administration Officer
              NIWA (National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research Ltd)
              PO Box 109695, Newmarket, Auckland, New Zealand
              Ph: (64-9) 375-2041 Fax: (64-9) 375-2051
              E-mail: n.lewer@... www.niwa.co.nz
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2004
                Hiya Mike,

                Don't you know it has been said that people who emigrate from New Zealand to
                Australia raise the IQ of both countries? <grin>

                On 4 Jul 2004 at 16:21, Mike Vallender wrote:

                > I think you would be hard pressed to find a better place to live than
                > anywhere in Australia, I am pretty sure we have a lot more NZ people coming
                > to Oz than the other way round (that ought to start things off).
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Mike
              • Avalon Myst
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 6, 2004
                  Hi Bob

                  Well, I know how you feel. I was faced with the
                  same predicament 4 yrs ago when my husband was
                  fed up with NZ and wanted to move to Oz. At the
                  time the motive for moving was to go somewhere
                  warmer where there was a better standard of
                  living and leave a stressful work life behind.
                  You have to figure out what you want to move away
                  from and what you want in a new country. In
                  Wellington, NZ, as much as I loved it and was
                  perfectly happy there, my hubby was in a IT job
                  that paid very well, but he had to work all the
                  hours God sent and the weather was lousy (lots of
                  rain, gale force winds, miserable winters, summer
                  for 2 months of the year, etc, etc).

                  We moved to the Gold Coast of Australia (in
                  Queensland) because here there is a very laid
                  back lifestyle, we could buy our dream home for
                  not much more than a very average home in
                  Wellington, the climate is warm and sunny for
                  most of the year (although drought can be a real
                  problem and the middle of summer when the temps
                  reach the 40's can be pretty tough).

                  We picked a good time to move here because now
                  the house prices have almost doubled. Getting
                  work in IT on the GC is pretty damn hard. Hubby
                  had to spend the first 2 1/2 yrs commuting to
                  Brisbane (1 hrs drive away) before finally
                  finding a local job.

                  The upside is he gets to spend a lot more time
                  with his family, we can do a lot more all year
                  round without being stuck inside over the winter,
                  more daylight hours and a pretty good lifestyle.

                  The downside: all the insects here bite, even
                  the flies, they are all three times the size of
                  anything in NZ, almost everything is poisonous -
                  spiders, snakes, toads, even the ticks that can
                  kill your cat or dog (if the spiders, snakes and
                  toads don't get them first!)

                  I think it doesn't really matter where in the
                  world you live, there is crime everywhere: here,
                  the country, NZ, everywhere. There are
                  paedophiles, murderers, burglars, and all the
                  other various petty crimes happening all over.
                  Nowhere is truly safe.

                  As far as jobs are concerned, your best bet for
                  IT is the main cities. I've heard you're 4 times
                  more likely to find work in Auckland than
                  Wellington in NZ and Sydney and Melbourne are
                  probably your best bets in Oz. House prices in
                  Sydney are astronomical and Melbourne's climate
                  can be freezing one day and over 40 the next.
                  I'd check out housing and jobs in all the cities
                  first and definitely rent/lease somewhere before
                  buying so you can move if you have to.

                  I also have to say it is very weird living in a
                  different country. NZ and Oz aren't that
                  different on the surface, but I still feel like a
                  stranger in a strange land at times. You never
                  really understand the "in" stuff that you have to
                  grow up in a country to "get" - the history of
                  the place and people that is absorbed from your
                  moment of birth. And then there is leaving your
                  own country behind. Someone once said they were
                  never a patriot until they left their country. I
                  understand that now. I never realised how strong
                  the bonds are that tie you to your land of birth
                  (or where you grew up) but they don't let you go
                  easily ... even when you are in a place that you
                  feel you are better off.

                  Good luck!
                  Avalon

                  --- Robert Powell <pallol@...> wrote:
                  > Clare - my beloved - has been working on me for
                  > about 12 months to
                  > emigrate. Personally I like Britain -
                  > unfashionable I know, but
                  > there it is - but she does make some good
                  > arguments.
                  >
                  > Hell I wouldn't of married her if she couldn't
                  > argue eloquently and
                  > positively!
                  >
                  > Well the upshot is that we are considering both
                  > Australia and New
                  > Zealand, we've got enough 'points', at least on
                  > paper, to do either.
                  > So my question is, which would offer the better
                  > chances to an IT
                  > based couple, in both work opportunities and
                  > standard of leaving. I
                  > know given the criminal and evil exchange rates
                  > that we'd be able to
                  > bring the best part of $200K NZ dollar with us,
                  > which is a bonus
                  > obviously but where would be the better place
                  > to investigate first.
                  >
                  > Complete cheek I know and fully expect Leda and
                  > Nic to come out
                  > fighting but enquiring minds need to know...
                  >
                  > regards
                  >
                  > Bob and Clare

                  http://au.movies.yahoo.com
                • Mike Vallender
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 7, 2004
                    Hey all,

                    When AM says: "Melbourne's climate can be freezing one day and over 40 the
                    Next", that is being a bit harsh.

                    Melbourne was voted the most liveable city in the world, and that was partly
                    due to its weather.

                    Now I am not trying to push Melbourne over anywhere else, I am just pointing
                    out that it is the best place anyone can live!

                    Bob here is a site for you to check out:

                    www.seek.com.au

                    there is an IT section, you can put your CV on it, and see if you get any
                    bites, there are others, but this is the best.

                    Good luck mate (you will have to get used of that)

                    To get a glimse of Melbourne read:

                    www.theage.com.au

                    Cheers

                    Mike
                  • Avalon Myst
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                      Hey Mike

                      You don't live in Melbourne by any chance do ya?!
                      I was probably a bit short with Melb but if I
                      had spouted on any further my email would have
                      been even longer. I have been to Melbourne and
                      it has its similarities to Wellington I think
                      (although Wgn would never reach 40 deg). I agree
                      its a pretty nice spot, you have to admit though
                      the climate is VERY changeable.

                      AM

                      --- Mike Vallender <mike@...> wrote: >
                      Hey all,

                      > When AM says: "Melbourne's climate can be
                      > freezing one day and over 40 the
                      > Next", that is being a bit harsh.
                      >
                      > Melbourne was voted the most liveable city in
                      > the world, and that was partly
                      > due to its weather.
                      >
                      > Now I am not trying to push Melbourne over
                      > anywhere else, I am just pointing
                      > out that it is the best place anyone can live!
                      >
                      > Bob here is a site for you to check out:
                      >
                      > www.seek.com.au
                      >
                      > there is an IT section, you can put your CV on
                      > it, and see if you get any
                      > bites, there are others, but this is the best.
                      >
                      > Good luck mate (you will have to get used of
                      > that)
                      >
                      > To get a glimse of Melbourne read:
                      >
                      > www.theage.com.au
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      >
                      > Mike

                      http://au.movies.yahoo.com
                    • Mike Vallender
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                        Lol

                        Yes I do live in Melbourne, although I was born in England; and like another
                        member, I am grateful my parents spent the 10 quid in the 70's and came to
                        the land down under.

                        I have pretty much seen all of Oz, and feel it is a great place.

                        Our politics is pretty mild over here, blind Freddy could manage this
                        economy. We have so many natural resources, and everything else, Oz will be
                        a great place to live for a long time.

                        The only advantage I could see living in the UK, would be the close
                        proximity to the rest of Europe, Australia is a long way from any where,
                        except NZ that is ;-)

                        --- Mike Vallender <mike@...> wrote: >
                        Hey all,

                        > When AM says: "Melbourne's climate can be
                        > freezing one day and over 40 the
                        > Next", that is being a bit harsh.
                        >
                        > Melbourne was voted the most liveable city in
                        > the world, and that was partly
                        > due to its weather.
                        >
                        > Now I am not trying to push Melbourne over
                        > anywhere else, I am just pointing
                        > out that it is the best place anyone can live!
                        >
                        > Bob here is a site for you to check out:
                        >
                        > www.seek.com.au
                        >
                        > there is an IT section, you can put your CV on
                        > it, and see if you get any
                        > bites, there are others, but this is the best.
                        >
                        > Good luck mate (you will have to get used of
                        > that)
                        >
                        > To get a glimse of Melbourne read:
                        >
                        > www.theage.com.au
                        >
                        > Cheers