Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Return from Kauai *sigh*

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 22, 2004
      Hiya Bob,

      It sounds like you both had a great time in Hawaii - I will look forward to seeing the JM-
      related photos you have to show. Coming back to work must seem quite a shock <g>.

      It's a pity that Hawaii isn't quite the perfect paradise it seems. The remarks from the
      insensitive Californians remind me of a similar story here in NZ - a farmer found his
      cows had been shifted to another field by his neighbour (who had just moved from the
      city) - the neighbour said the noise of the cows would have ruined his barbeque(!!).

    • Robert Powell
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2004
        Sweet mother of god that's cruel - did nobody remind him that
        Fletcher Christian visted those isles!

        Dammit I'd of made certain that the VHS or DVD of Mutiny on the
        Bounty was left on his desk anonymously every day until the beggar
        put in to Pearl Harbour at least!

        ("well shipmates, see where we will be going NEXT trip?") You could
        see the bikini-laden beaches without binoculars quite clearly.
        Sailors were thereatening to dive overboard and swim for shore! It
        was just another reason that Capt. J.T. Kelly ( Lt. Commander
        actually) was well and truely hated by all who served under him.
      • Robert Powell
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2004
          Hi Nic,

          well finally got all the photos back and am now collating them,
          again I'll forward any relevant ones to the group - I can't remember
          can members post photos or do we send them to one of the list moms
          (beloved of us all?) to post them for us?

          Big love to the group - come on worldwide group hug, you know you
          wan to.

          Bob

          > Hiya Bob,
          >
          > It sounds like you both had a great time in Hawaii - I will look
          forward to seeing the JM-
          > related photos you have to show. Coming back to work must seem
          quite a shock <g>.

          > It's a pity that Hawaii isn't quite the perfect paradise it seems.
          The remarks from the
          > insensitive Californians remind me of a similar story here in NZ -
          a farmer found his
          > cows had been shifted to another field by his neighbour (who had
          just moved from the
          > city) - the neighbour said the noise of the cows would have ruined
          his barbeque(!!).

          > High Thoughts
          > - Nicolette :-)

        • Robert Powell
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2004
            Clare - my beloved - has been working on me for about 12 months to
            emigrate. Personally I like Britain - unfashionable I know, but
            there it is - but she does make some good arguments.

            Hell I wouldn't of married her if she couldn't argue eloquently and
            positively!

            Well the upshot is that we are considering both Australia and New
            Zealand, we've got enough 'points', at least on paper, to do either.
            So my question is, which would offer the better chances to an IT
            based couple, in both work opportunities and standard of leaving. I
            know given the criminal and evil exchange rates that we'd be able to
            bring the best part of $200K NZ dollar with us, which is a bonus
            obviously but where would be the better place to investigate first.

            Complete cheek I know and fully expect Leda and Nic to come out
            fighting but enquiring minds need to know...

            regards

            Bob and Clare
          • Mike Vallender
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 3, 2004
              Hey Bob,

              ICT in Australia has had a lean couple of years, but starting to pick up. I
              am not sure about NZ.

              I think you would be hard pressed to find a better place to live than
              anywhere in Australia, I am pretty sure we have a lot more NZ people coming
              to Oz than the other way round (that ought to start things off).

              Cheers

              Mike

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2004
                Hiya Bob,

                It's good to see you have the photos back <g> - I'm not 100% sure if you can post the
                photos on the site, but you're welcome to try. If you have trouble then send them to me
                and I will see what I can do.....

                Naturally I'm delighted to hear you are both thinking of emigrating Down Under - hey, it's
                not every country that can claim Antartica as a close neighbour <g>.

                However, while I would like to say New Zealand is a great place for IT jobs, it is quite
                common to hear of IT people here going to England because of the better pay.......

                On 2 Jul 2004 at 13:38, Robert Powell wrote:

                > Clare - my beloved - has been working on me for about 12 months to
                > emigrate. Personally I like Britain - unfashionable I know, but
                > there it is - but she does make some good arguments.
                >
                > Hell I wouldn't of married her if she couldn't argue eloquently and
                > positively!
                >
                > Well the upshot is that we are considering both Australia and New
                > Zealand, we've got enough 'points', at least on paper, to do either.
                > So my question is, which would offer the better chances to an IT
                > based couple, in both work opportunities and standard of leaving. I
                > know given the criminal and evil exchange rates that we'd be able to
                > bring the best part of $200K NZ dollar with us, which is a bonus
                > obviously but where would be the better place to investigate first.
                >
                > Complete cheek I know and fully expect Leda and Nic to come out
                > fighting but enquiring minds need to know...
                >
                > regards
                >
                > Bob and Clare
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Nicolette Lewer
                Administration Officer
                NIWA (National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research Ltd)
                PO Box 109695, Newmarket, Auckland, New Zealand
                Ph: (64-9) 375-2041 Fax: (64-9) 375-2051
                E-mail: n.lewer@... www.niwa.co.nz
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2004
                  Hiya Mike,

                  Don't you know it has been said that people who emigrate from New Zealand to
                  Australia raise the IQ of both countries? <grin>

                  On 4 Jul 2004 at 16:21, Mike Vallender wrote:

                  > I think you would be hard pressed to find a better place to live than
                  > anywhere in Australia, I am pretty sure we have a lot more NZ people coming
                  > to Oz than the other way round (that ought to start things off).
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > Mike
                • Avalon Myst
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 6, 2004
                    Hi Bob

                    Well, I know how you feel. I was faced with the
                    same predicament 4 yrs ago when my husband was
                    fed up with NZ and wanted to move to Oz. At the
                    time the motive for moving was to go somewhere
                    warmer where there was a better standard of
                    living and leave a stressful work life behind.
                    You have to figure out what you want to move away
                    from and what you want in a new country. In
                    Wellington, NZ, as much as I loved it and was
                    perfectly happy there, my hubby was in a IT job
                    that paid very well, but he had to work all the
                    hours God sent and the weather was lousy (lots of
                    rain, gale force winds, miserable winters, summer
                    for 2 months of the year, etc, etc).

                    We moved to the Gold Coast of Australia (in
                    Queensland) because here there is a very laid
                    back lifestyle, we could buy our dream home for
                    not much more than a very average home in
                    Wellington, the climate is warm and sunny for
                    most of the year (although drought can be a real
                    problem and the middle of summer when the temps
                    reach the 40's can be pretty tough).

                    We picked a good time to move here because now
                    the house prices have almost doubled. Getting
                    work in IT on the GC is pretty damn hard. Hubby
                    had to spend the first 2 1/2 yrs commuting to
                    Brisbane (1 hrs drive away) before finally
                    finding a local job.

                    The upside is he gets to spend a lot more time
                    with his family, we can do a lot more all year
                    round without being stuck inside over the winter,
                    more daylight hours and a pretty good lifestyle.

                    The downside: all the insects here bite, even
                    the flies, they are all three times the size of
                    anything in NZ, almost everything is poisonous -
                    spiders, snakes, toads, even the ticks that can
                    kill your cat or dog (if the spiders, snakes and
                    toads don't get them first!)

                    I think it doesn't really matter where in the
                    world you live, there is crime everywhere: here,
                    the country, NZ, everywhere. There are
                    paedophiles, murderers, burglars, and all the
                    other various petty crimes happening all over.
                    Nowhere is truly safe.

                    As far as jobs are concerned, your best bet for
                    IT is the main cities. I've heard you're 4 times
                    more likely to find work in Auckland than
                    Wellington in NZ and Sydney and Melbourne are
                    probably your best bets in Oz. House prices in
                    Sydney are astronomical and Melbourne's climate
                    can be freezing one day and over 40 the next.
                    I'd check out housing and jobs in all the cities
                    first and definitely rent/lease somewhere before
                    buying so you can move if you have to.

                    I also have to say it is very weird living in a
                    different country. NZ and Oz aren't that
                    different on the surface, but I still feel like a
                    stranger in a strange land at times. You never
                    really understand the "in" stuff that you have to
                    grow up in a country to "get" - the history of
                    the place and people that is absorbed from your
                    moment of birth. And then there is leaving your
                    own country behind. Someone once said they were
                    never a patriot until they left their country. I
                    understand that now. I never realised how strong
                    the bonds are that tie you to your land of birth
                    (or where you grew up) but they don't let you go
                    easily ... even when you are in a place that you
                    feel you are better off.

                    Good luck!
                    Avalon

                    --- Robert Powell <pallol@...> wrote:
                    > Clare - my beloved - has been working on me for
                    > about 12 months to
                    > emigrate. Personally I like Britain -
                    > unfashionable I know, but
                    > there it is - but she does make some good
                    > arguments.
                    >
                    > Hell I wouldn't of married her if she couldn't
                    > argue eloquently and
                    > positively!
                    >
                    > Well the upshot is that we are considering both
                    > Australia and New
                    > Zealand, we've got enough 'points', at least on
                    > paper, to do either.
                    > So my question is, which would offer the better
                    > chances to an IT
                    > based couple, in both work opportunities and
                    > standard of leaving. I
                    > know given the criminal and evil exchange rates
                    > that we'd be able to
                    > bring the best part of $200K NZ dollar with us,
                    > which is a bonus
                    > obviously but where would be the better place
                    > to investigate first.
                    >
                    > Complete cheek I know and fully expect Leda and
                    > Nic to come out
                    > fighting but enquiring minds need to know...
                    >
                    > regards
                    >
                    > Bob and Clare

                    http://au.movies.yahoo.com
                  • Mike Vallender
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 7, 2004
                      Hey all,

                      When AM says: "Melbourne's climate can be freezing one day and over 40 the
                      Next", that is being a bit harsh.

                      Melbourne was voted the most liveable city in the world, and that was partly
                      due to its weather.

                      Now I am not trying to push Melbourne over anywhere else, I am just pointing
                      out that it is the best place anyone can live!

                      Bob here is a site for you to check out:

                      www.seek.com.au

                      there is an IT section, you can put your CV on it, and see if you get any
                      bites, there are others, but this is the best.

                      Good luck mate (you will have to get used of that)

                      To get a glimse of Melbourne read:

                      www.theage.com.au

                      Cheers

                      Mike
                    • Avalon Myst
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                        Hey Mike

                        You don't live in Melbourne by any chance do ya?!
                        I was probably a bit short with Melb but if I
                        had spouted on any further my email would have
                        been even longer. I have been to Melbourne and
                        it has its similarities to Wellington I think
                        (although Wgn would never reach 40 deg). I agree
                        its a pretty nice spot, you have to admit though
                        the climate is VERY changeable.

                        AM

                        --- Mike Vallender <mike@...> wrote: >
                        Hey all,

                        > When AM says: "Melbourne's climate can be
                        > freezing one day and over 40 the
                        > Next", that is being a bit harsh.
                        >
                        > Melbourne was voted the most liveable city in
                        > the world, and that was partly
                        > due to its weather.
                        >
                        > Now I am not trying to push Melbourne over
                        > anywhere else, I am just pointing
                        > out that it is the best place anyone can live!
                        >
                        > Bob here is a site for you to check out:
                        >
                        > www.seek.com.au
                        >
                        > there is an IT section, you can put your CV on
                        > it, and see if you get any
                        > bites, there are others, but this is the best.
                        >
                        > Good luck mate (you will have to get used of
                        > that)
                        >
                        > To get a glimse of Melbourne read:
                        >
                        > www.theage.com.au
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        >
                        > Mike

                        http://au.movies.yahoo.com
                      • Mike Vallender
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                          Lol

                          Yes I do live in Melbourne, although I was born in England; and like another
                          member, I am grateful my parents spent the 10 quid in the 70's and came to
                          the land down under.

                          I have pretty much seen all of Oz, and feel it is a great place.

                          Our politics is pretty mild over here, blind Freddy could manage this
                          economy. We have so many natural resources, and everything else, Oz will be
                          a great place to live for a long time.

                          The only advantage I could see living in the UK, would be the close
                          proximity to the rest of Europe, Australia is a long way from any where,
                          except NZ that is ;-)

                          --- Mike Vallender <mike@...> wrote: >
                          Hey all,

                          > When AM says: "Melbourne's climate can be
                          > freezing one day and over 40 the
                          > Next", that is being a bit harsh.
                          >
                          > Melbourne was voted the most liveable city in
                          > the world, and that was partly
                          > due to its weather.
                          >
                          > Now I am not trying to push Melbourne over
                          > anywhere else, I am just pointing
                          > out that it is the best place anyone can live!
                          >
                          > Bob here is a site for you to check out:
                          >
                          > www.seek.com.au
                          >
                          > there is an IT section, you can put your CV on
                          > it, and see if you get any
                          > bites, there are others, but this is the best.
                          >
                          > Good luck mate (you will have to get used of
                          > that)
                          >
                          > To get a glimse of Melbourne read:
                          >
                          > www.theage.com.au
                          >
                          > Cheers