Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Return from Kauai *sigh*

  • Cleomadjai
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 22, 2004

      Thanks for your report and for sharing your wedding photos with us.  They're lovely and it looks like everyone really enjoyed themselves.

      Hawaii sounds lovely, it's somewhere I intend going next trip back to NZ.  Did  you take an 'site' photo's from JM's books?

      Cleo

      Robert Powell <pallol@...> wrote:
      Hi Guys, and thanks – or should that be `Mahalo' - from both of us,
      for the good wishes,

      Well we've had an unbelievable start to married life and have taken
      several hundred photos and hours of video of Hawaii. If you've never
      been to Hawaii, and get the chance, don't even think about it just
      do it!

      I won't bore you with details, but to say my every expectation and
      dream was excelled is the honest truth. The islands are truly
      beautiful, but also tinged with sadness. The developers have taken
      over Oahu and Maui is going the same way, and it is only a matter of
      time before Kauai gets its beauty destroyed as well. Average
      Hawaiians, who by the way, are the most courteous and friendly
      people as I've ever come across in all my travels are being priced
      out of their own homes and it is estimated that within 10 years
      people born in Hawaii will make up less than 10 percent of the
      population. There is less than 100 pure bred Hawaiians – those who
      can trace both parental lines back through to the original
      islanders – on the islands, and less than a 1000 worldwide.

      Of the Huna religion and beliefs, little more than myths, legends
      and stories remain. Kahunas, which once meant priest and now is now
      widely used to mean expert in any field, have to be descended from
      Hawaiian royalty and because of mixed bloodlines and missing or
      destroyed records now number less than a handful.

      If these islands were outside US jurisdiction, I'm convinced there
      would be massive international efforts to preserve the islands and
      native beliefs, possibly with a concert every year by Sting and
      Bono. They're not though so instead you have elderly Californian's
      saying things like – and these are direct quotes – `Why don't they
      chop those damn palm trees down, they spoil my view of the sunset!'
      or `Well its okay, but you should see L.A. at night, now that's
      beautiful!'

      One can only assume that their medication wasn't strong enough!

      Don't get me wrong, I've met American's from all over the states on
      this honeymoon and most, like me and my wife, have been overwhelmed
      by the beauty of these isles and were nothing but friendly and
      welcoming. Yet for some reason these elderly California's were on a
      mission to bad mouth everythuing they saw. the younger ones were
      not, just the emaciated sun dried ones, you know the ones that way
      the same amount as a photo of themselves, the ones who count the
      calories in their cigarette smoke.

      Sorry if I sound harsh - and I know I do - but without fail these
      old scarecrows were just unbelievable!

      For myself, I've seen waterfalls that took my breath away, inactive
      volcanoes that just left me feeling dwarfed by their grandeur and
      lush canyons that overwhelmed my senses with their beauty. I've
      visited extinct coastal lavatubes that gush water like a geyser
      whenever a large wave hits them, caves, cliffs and jungles that seem
      from another planet with their startling beauty and wildlife that
      was as numerous and diverse as the best zoos on earth.

      All set against a society of proud, friendly, funny, welcoming
      people who mix with the gawping tourist – of which I happily count
      myself – without any obvious bad feeling or animosity.

      Paradise, no more no less!

      JM related photos I will of course share with you all anon, but for
      now I must return to the humdrum and tedious ways of everyday life,
      warmed only by the presence of my new wife who I adore and my
      memories of a perfect honeymoon.

      By the way, for those of you have asked and want to see exactly what
      I look like, a small selection of our wedding photos are online at:

      http://yourbigday.genesis-ds.com/index.cgi?ac=fs&gal=862

      Keep da faith bras!

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/FIyolB/TM

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 22, 2004
        Hiya Bob,

        It sounds like you both had a great time in Hawaii - I will look forward to seeing the JM-
        related photos you have to show. Coming back to work must seem quite a shock <g>.

        It's a pity that Hawaii isn't quite the perfect paradise it seems. The remarks from the
        insensitive Californians remind me of a similar story here in NZ - a farmer found his
        cows had been shifted to another field by his neighbour (who had just moved from the
        city) - the neighbour said the noise of the cows would have ruined his barbeque(!!).

      • Robert Powell
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2004
          Sweet mother of god that's cruel - did nobody remind him that
          Fletcher Christian visted those isles!

          Dammit I'd of made certain that the VHS or DVD of Mutiny on the
          Bounty was left on his desk anonymously every day until the beggar
          put in to Pearl Harbour at least!

          ("well shipmates, see where we will be going NEXT trip?") You could
          see the bikini-laden beaches without binoculars quite clearly.
          Sailors were thereatening to dive overboard and swim for shore! It
          was just another reason that Capt. J.T. Kelly ( Lt. Commander
          actually) was well and truely hated by all who served under him.
        • Robert Powell
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2004
            Hi Nic,

            well finally got all the photos back and am now collating them,
            again I'll forward any relevant ones to the group - I can't remember
            can members post photos or do we send them to one of the list moms
            (beloved of us all?) to post them for us?

            Big love to the group - come on worldwide group hug, you know you
            wan to.

            Bob

            > Hiya Bob,
            >
            > It sounds like you both had a great time in Hawaii - I will look
            forward to seeing the JM-
            > related photos you have to show. Coming back to work must seem
            quite a shock <g>.

            > It's a pity that Hawaii isn't quite the perfect paradise it seems.
            The remarks from the
            > insensitive Californians remind me of a similar story here in NZ -
            a farmer found his
            > cows had been shifted to another field by his neighbour (who had
            just moved from the
            > city) - the neighbour said the noise of the cows would have ruined
            his barbeque(!!).

            > High Thoughts
            > - Nicolette :-)

          • Robert Powell
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2004
              Clare - my beloved - has been working on me for about 12 months to
              emigrate. Personally I like Britain - unfashionable I know, but
              there it is - but she does make some good arguments.

              Hell I wouldn't of married her if she couldn't argue eloquently and
              positively!

              Well the upshot is that we are considering both Australia and New
              Zealand, we've got enough 'points', at least on paper, to do either.
              So my question is, which would offer the better chances to an IT
              based couple, in both work opportunities and standard of leaving. I
              know given the criminal and evil exchange rates that we'd be able to
              bring the best part of $200K NZ dollar with us, which is a bonus
              obviously but where would be the better place to investigate first.

              Complete cheek I know and fully expect Leda and Nic to come out
              fighting but enquiring minds need to know...

              regards

              Bob and Clare
            • Mike Vallender
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 3, 2004
                Hey Bob,

                ICT in Australia has had a lean couple of years, but starting to pick up. I
                am not sure about NZ.

                I think you would be hard pressed to find a better place to live than
                anywhere in Australia, I am pretty sure we have a lot more NZ people coming
                to Oz than the other way round (that ought to start things off).

                Cheers

                Mike

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2004
                  Hiya Bob,

                  It's good to see you have the photos back <g> - I'm not 100% sure if you can post the
                  photos on the site, but you're welcome to try. If you have trouble then send them to me
                  and I will see what I can do.....

                  Naturally I'm delighted to hear you are both thinking of emigrating Down Under - hey, it's
                  not every country that can claim Antartica as a close neighbour <g>.

                  However, while I would like to say New Zealand is a great place for IT jobs, it is quite
                  common to hear of IT people here going to England because of the better pay.......

                  On 2 Jul 2004 at 13:38, Robert Powell wrote:

                  > Clare - my beloved - has been working on me for about 12 months to
                  > emigrate. Personally I like Britain - unfashionable I know, but
                  > there it is - but she does make some good arguments.
                  >
                  > Hell I wouldn't of married her if she couldn't argue eloquently and
                  > positively!
                  >
                  > Well the upshot is that we are considering both Australia and New
                  > Zealand, we've got enough 'points', at least on paper, to do either.
                  > So my question is, which would offer the better chances to an IT
                  > based couple, in both work opportunities and standard of leaving. I
                  > know given the criminal and evil exchange rates that we'd be able to
                  > bring the best part of $200K NZ dollar with us, which is a bonus
                  > obviously but where would be the better place to investigate first.
                  >
                  > Complete cheek I know and fully expect Leda and Nic to come out
                  > fighting but enquiring minds need to know...
                  >
                  > regards
                  >
                  > Bob and Clare
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Nicolette Lewer
                  Administration Officer
                  NIWA (National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research Ltd)
                  PO Box 109695, Newmarket, Auckland, New Zealand
                  Ph: (64-9) 375-2041 Fax: (64-9) 375-2051
                  E-mail: n.lewer@... www.niwa.co.nz
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 4, 2004
                    Hiya Mike,

                    Don't you know it has been said that people who emigrate from New Zealand to
                    Australia raise the IQ of both countries? <grin>

                    On 4 Jul 2004 at 16:21, Mike Vallender wrote:

                    > I think you would be hard pressed to find a better place to live than
                    > anywhere in Australia, I am pretty sure we have a lot more NZ people coming
                    > to Oz than the other way round (that ought to start things off).
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > Mike
                  • Avalon Myst
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 6, 2004
                      Hi Bob

                      Well, I know how you feel. I was faced with the
                      same predicament 4 yrs ago when my husband was
                      fed up with NZ and wanted to move to Oz. At the
                      time the motive for moving was to go somewhere
                      warmer where there was a better standard of
                      living and leave a stressful work life behind.
                      You have to figure out what you want to move away
                      from and what you want in a new country. In
                      Wellington, NZ, as much as I loved it and was
                      perfectly happy there, my hubby was in a IT job
                      that paid very well, but he had to work all the
                      hours God sent and the weather was lousy (lots of
                      rain, gale force winds, miserable winters, summer
                      for 2 months of the year, etc, etc).

                      We moved to the Gold Coast of Australia (in
                      Queensland) because here there is a very laid
                      back lifestyle, we could buy our dream home for
                      not much more than a very average home in
                      Wellington, the climate is warm and sunny for
                      most of the year (although drought can be a real
                      problem and the middle of summer when the temps
                      reach the 40's can be pretty tough).

                      We picked a good time to move here because now
                      the house prices have almost doubled. Getting
                      work in IT on the GC is pretty damn hard. Hubby
                      had to spend the first 2 1/2 yrs commuting to
                      Brisbane (1 hrs drive away) before finally
                      finding a local job.

                      The upside is he gets to spend a lot more time
                      with his family, we can do a lot more all year
                      round without being stuck inside over the winter,
                      more daylight hours and a pretty good lifestyle.

                      The downside: all the insects here bite, even
                      the flies, they are all three times the size of
                      anything in NZ, almost everything is poisonous -
                      spiders, snakes, toads, even the ticks that can
                      kill your cat or dog (if the spiders, snakes and
                      toads don't get them first!)

                      I think it doesn't really matter where in the
                      world you live, there is crime everywhere: here,
                      the country, NZ, everywhere. There are
                      paedophiles, murderers, burglars, and all the
                      other various petty crimes happening all over.
                      Nowhere is truly safe.

                      As far as jobs are concerned, your best bet for
                      IT is the main cities. I've heard you're 4 times
                      more likely to find work in Auckland than
                      Wellington in NZ and Sydney and Melbourne are
                      probably your best bets in Oz. House prices in
                      Sydney are astronomical and Melbourne's climate
                      can be freezing one day and over 40 the next.
                      I'd check out housing and jobs in all the cities
                      first and definitely rent/lease somewhere before
                      buying so you can move if you have to.

                      I also have to say it is very weird living in a
                      different country. NZ and Oz aren't that
                      different on the surface, but I still feel like a
                      stranger in a strange land at times. You never
                      really understand the "in" stuff that you have to
                      grow up in a country to "get" - the history of
                      the place and people that is absorbed from your
                      moment of birth. And then there is leaving your
                      own country behind. Someone once said they were
                      never a patriot until they left their country. I
                      understand that now. I never realised how strong
                      the bonds are that tie you to your land of birth
                      (or where you grew up) but they don't let you go
                      easily ... even when you are in a place that you
                      feel you are better off.

                      Good luck!
                      Avalon

                      --- Robert Powell <pallol@...> wrote:
                      > Clare - my beloved - has been working on me for
                      > about 12 months to
                      > emigrate. Personally I like Britain -
                      > unfashionable I know, but
                      > there it is - but she does make some good
                      > arguments.
                      >
                      > Hell I wouldn't of married her if she couldn't
                      > argue eloquently and
                      > positively!
                      >
                      > Well the upshot is that we are considering both
                      > Australia and New
                      > Zealand, we've got enough 'points', at least on
                      > paper, to do either.
                      > So my question is, which would offer the better
                      > chances to an IT
                      > based couple, in both work opportunities and
                      > standard of leaving. I
                      > know given the criminal and evil exchange rates
                      > that we'd be able to
                      > bring the best part of $200K NZ dollar with us,
                      > which is a bonus
                      > obviously but where would be the better place
                      > to investigate first.
                      >
                      > Complete cheek I know and fully expect Leda and
                      > Nic to come out
                      > fighting but enquiring minds need to know...
                      >
                      > regards
                      >
                      > Bob and Clare

                      http://au.movies.yahoo.com
                    • Mike Vallender
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 7, 2004
                        Hey all,

                        When AM says: "Melbourne's climate can be freezing one day and over 40 the
                        Next", that is being a bit harsh.

                        Melbourne was voted the most liveable city in the world, and that was partly
                        due to its weather.

                        Now I am not trying to push Melbourne over anywhere else, I am just pointing
                        out that it is the best place anyone can live!

                        Bob here is a site for you to check out:

                        www.seek.com.au

                        there is an IT section, you can put your CV on it, and see if you get any
                        bites, there are others, but this is the best.

                        Good luck mate (you will have to get used of that)

                        To get a glimse of Melbourne read:

                        www.theage.com.au

                        Cheers

                        Mike
                      • Avalon Myst
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                          Hey Mike

                          You don't live in Melbourne by any chance do ya?!
                          I was probably a bit short with Melb but if I
                          had spouted on any further my email would have
                          been even longer. I have been to Melbourne and
                          it has its similarities to Wellington I think
                          (although Wgn would never reach 40 deg). I agree
                          its a pretty nice spot, you have to admit though
                          the climate is VERY changeable.

                          AM

                          --- Mike Vallender <mike@...> wrote: >
                          Hey all,

                          > When AM says: "Melbourne's climate can be
                          > freezing one day and over 40 the
                          > Next", that is being a bit harsh.
                          >
                          > Melbourne was voted the most liveable city in
                          > the world, and that was partly
                          > due to its weather.
                          >
                          > Now I am not trying to push Melbourne over
                          > anywhere else, I am just pointing
                          > out that it is the best place anyone can live!
                          >
                          > Bob here is a site for you to check out:
                          >
                          > www.seek.com.au
                          >
                          > there is an IT section, you can put your CV on
                          > it, and see if you get any
                          > bites, there are others, but this is the best.
                          >
                          > Good luck mate (you will have to get used of
                          > that)
                          >
                          > To get a glimse of Melbourne read:
                          >
                          > www.theage.com.au
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          >
                          > Mike

                          http://au.movies.yahoo.com
                        • Mike Vallender
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                            Lol

                            Yes I do live in Melbourne, although I was born in England; and like another
                            member, I am grateful my parents spent the 10 quid in the 70's and came to
                            the land down under.

                            I have pretty much seen all of Oz, and feel it is a great place.

                            Our politics is pretty mild over here, blind Freddy could manage this
                            economy. We have so many natural resources, and everything else, Oz will be
                            a great place to live for a long time.

                            The only advantage I could see living in the UK, would be the close
                            proximity to the rest of Europe, Australia is a long way from any where,
                            except NZ that is ;-)

                            --- Mike Vallender <mike@...> wrote: >
                            Hey all,

                            > When AM says: "Melbourne's climate can be
                            > freezing one day and over 40 the
                            > Next", that is being a bit harsh.
                            >
                            > Melbourne was voted the most liveable city in
                            > the world, and that was partly
                            > due to its weather.
                            >
                            > Now I am not trying to push Melbourne over
                            > anywhere else, I am just pointing
                            > out that it is the best place anyone can live!
                            >
                            > Bob here is a site for you to check out:
                            >
                            > www.seek.com.au
                            >
                            > there is an IT section, you can put your CV on
                            > it, and see if you get any
                            > bites, there are others, but this is the best.
                            >
                            > Good luck mate (you will have to get used of
                            > that)
                            >
                            > To get a glimse of Melbourne read:
                            >
                            > www.theage.com.au
                            >
                            > Cheers