Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: question about Aiken?

    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2004
      > Hi everyone ,new member.On Aiken's "parents" when Mercy asks him if
      > he had Italian ancestry he says he has 100% Scottish ancestry.

      Hi Ambercelt,

      Hello and welcome! The question about Aiken's parentage tends to pop up now and
      then (with wilder theories suggesting his mother was somehow Mad Maddy Remillard,
      LOL).

      On 29 Apr 2004 at 18:34, ambercelt wrote:

      > --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "PD Whitener"
      > <alixnc@y...> wrote:
      > > --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Cleomadjai
      > > <cleomadjai@y...> wrote:
      > > > I can't remember it ever being mentioned - only that MacGregor,
      > > er, banked sperm.
      > >
      > > The emphasis on MacGregor is also the best clue to the problem of
      > > Duncan: However quirky, he is the knight/champion (or guardian
      > angel,
      > > if you will) of the clan, useful at key moments to both Aiken and
      > any
      > > number of those who serve his purposes.
      > >
      > > Alix
    • sepiternity
      Message 2 of 8 , May 7, 2004
        Ciamar a tha sibh tha mi à Alba! A bheil thu ga mo thuigsinn?

        I'm no sure if this will help but....

        When I was growing up we used to have a nursery song called "Aiken
        Drum" which said he came from the moon. Now, me memory is a wee
        bitty vague on this but I remember he had a coat made out o' good
        roast beef and tousers made out o' haggis skins.

        No doubt another one of Ms May's collective unconsious archetypes.

        Now - this is where it gets a bit ropey. I also remember a fairy
        tale when I used to work in the Machars of Galloway in SW Scotland
        (they filmed the Wicker Man their, shallow genitic pool, load o' peat
        bogs, moon-faced kids, etc) and there was this wee boogle called
        Aiken Drum. I suppose you describe it as naughty pixie or elf - a
        trickster!

        However - this area of Scotland is pictish - not celtic and most of
        the mythology has a much more darker, more primitive feel to it than
        the cutesy-pie english romanticism of Celtic culture.

        As to the MacGregors - well, that bog-trotting lot came fae further
        north.

        As to the Italian connection - I have a guess about who that
        politician was but maybe someone can enlighten me?

        <alixnc@y...> wrote:
        > --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Cleomadjai
        > <cleomadjai@y...> wrote:
        > > I can't remember it ever being mentioned - only that MacGregor,
        > er, banked sperm.
        >
        > The emphasis on MacGregor is also the best clue to the problem of
        > Duncan: However quirky, he is the knight/champion (or guardian
        angel,
        > if you will) of the clan, useful at key moments to both Aiken and
        any
        > number of those who serve his purposes.
        >
        > Alix
      • Jabberwocky1469
        Message 3 of 8 , May 7, 2004
          ...try Machiavello,  "the Prince"........

          <alixnc@y...> wrote:
          > --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Cleomadjai
          > <cleomadjai@y...> wrote:
          > > I can't remember it ever being mentioned - only that MacGregor,
          > er,  banked sperm.
          >
          > The emphasis on MacGregor is also the best clue to the problem of
          > Duncan: However quirky, he is the knight/champion (or guardian
          angel,
          > if you will) of the clan, useful at key moments to both Aiken and
          any
          > number of those who serve his purposes.
          >
          > Alix

          Do You Yahoo!?